RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Markings?

Boolit Master

Markings?

I am in need of help in trying to see if anyone can identify the maker of an old precussion rifle. A friend at church that I usually talk airplanes and guns with showed me an old rifle he has. Since he does not use a computer I said I would try to see if I could find anything about it. The rifle is about .40 cal, with about a 40 inch barrel. The precussion lock is missing. Stock looks like Maple and extends to the muzzle ending with an iron nose cap. All mountings are iron no brass. Sights are a simple v notch rear with the front sight blade missing. the only markings I saw were on the top flat of the barrel and were the letter J then a * shape and the letter G. The rifle looks like what must be the less expensive version of a PA rifle. I told my friend that we would most likely not find anything about his rifle unless someone can identify the letter markings on the barrel.
    Thanks for any help.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Joeeph Goulcher?
    They made a lot of percussion locks for the gun tradeback in the percussion era.

Boolit Master On Heavens Range. 1940-2008 Slamfire's Avatar
    There is a lot of knowledge available on the Muzzleloading Forum, and they don't mind sharing.

Banned

Most rifles with iron fittings were made in states like Tennessee although they could have been made anywhere. Rifle makers are even hard to identify from the golden age in PA. Most were identified by style when initials only were found on a gun. It is surprising how many of them had the same initials.
    You could try taking good pictures of it and sending them to the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    Joeeph Goulcher?
    They made a lot of percussion locks for the gun tradeback in the percussion era.
    That's what I thought when I read the initials. I don't know how Goulcher signed his work, but didn't recall reading that he did barrels as well. Time to break out the old books!
    "So how many Divisions does this Pope have?".. Joseph Stalin

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it.
    Pope John Paul II