Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: ordinary average everyday alloy?

Boolit Bub

Question ordinary average everyday alloy?

Is there such a thing? Looking to cast for 45acp, 30-30, 45-70 nothing crazy. I am wondering if there is a magic mixture that can fill all my needs? Kind of envy some of you guys that have time for your experimenting. Hoping to alloy all that I find in ready to use ingots. Limited time will barely have time to cast shoot and hunt. Figured air cool for pistol calibers and water drop for rifle rounds?

Boolit Master

WW + 2% tin is the heir to the throne of Lyman #2.

HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Bub
    Clipon wheel weights YES!! Even without 2% tin, air cooled, water dropped, heat treated, covers about all ones needs, I am not an expert by any means, but from what I have read this seems to be a general consences.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    WW + 2% tin is the heir to the throne of Lyman #2.
    This...

Boolit Bub
    Thanks a lot for the info, been reading as much as I can but Geez y'all have a lot of info. So far bout a 1/3 of my stash is stick on what ratio can I add these to clip on and keep similar properties? I know I can test for hardness and all but hopin and prayin to keep it simple.

Banned

1/3 is a good mix then.
    i use bout 25% stick-ons or whatever soft i have to my ww's and add some tin.
    that's my big pile of lead ready to cast mix.
    i have some other piles of stuff,but that mix is the main one cause that's about the mix of ww's i got in the buckets.

Boolit Master

For my 45 ACP, I use 50/50 COWW to SOWW. This covers most of my pistol rounds. If I need it harder I water drop.

For my rifle I do 10/1, COWW to Lino, water dropped.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

ordinary average everyday alloy?

Quote Originally Posted by b52fizzle View Post
    Is there such a thing?

Looking to cast for 45acp, 30-30, 45-70 nothing crazy.
    For these calibers clip-on weights + 2% Sn air cooled would serve you well. For these there is no need to get fancy or make it over complicated.

The only thing I use softer than this is HP's in the 45, mouse fart HP loads in the 30 Carbine & 32-20 where I use the stick-on weigths + 2% Sn. Loads such as these is what I save my stick-on weights for.

The only thing including rifles to 2000 fps where I use harder is clip-on weights + 2% Sn heat treated to 18 BHN in my very top end long range revolver loads.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

coww and 25% soft pb plus 2-3 tin will work well,in all mentioned and expand in rifle applications well enuff to do the job i would reccomend water dropping or quenching to gain finer structure resulting in a harder boolit.
    this and any of the above should work well
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Quote Originally Posted by machanic View Post
    Clipon wheel weights YES!! Even without 2% tin, air cooled, water dropped, heat treated, covers about all ones needs, I am not an expert by any means, but from what I have read this seems to be a general consences.
    However,... adding tin, will give you far less rejects, and a nicer looking boolit .
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by badbobgerman View Post
    However,... adding tin, will give you far less rejects, and a nicer looking boolit .
    Looking forword to trying a little tin in the alloy, (just aquired some) though I found the reject level low the casting process has been EXTREAMLY temp sensitive, alloy and mold!!!
    Thanks for the headsup!!!!
    machanic