RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Sealing brass shotgun shells

Boolit Mold

Sealing brass shotgun shells

I am having trouble sealing the over shot wad. I have used water seal, elmers glue, tite bond, gorilla glue and fingernail polish. I shoot them in a double barrel (side by side). The first shot is fine. After firing first shot, it jars the over shot wad loose and if I don't keep barrel pointed up, all the shot runs out end of barrel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike

Boolit Master

I would try either hot glue or clear silicone bead just around the inside case mouth.
    I would have thought clear lacquer fingernail polish would have done the job like I use for Blanks...
    Are you putting on a slight roll crimp ?
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Buddy
    What size overshot card are you using? if it's smaller than 10 ga (11 ga or 12 ga) you're gonna have problems getting it to seal regardless of what you use.
    In the past, I used a hot glue gun to seal mine and I use a 10 ga card. Lately, I've stopped using the glue. The 10 ga card fits tight enough that I don't need the glue.

And no, I don't shoot wimpy light loads. Mine are 1-1/8 oz of Goex Fg Express pushing 1-1/8 oz of #8-1/2 lead shot. No problems with recoil popping the overshot card off the second shell in my SxS.
    Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Semper Fi -

Use an eleven gauge wad and clean the inside of the case mouth with Denatured Alcohol and a Q-Tip before you try sealing the card wad in the hull.

Make sure that the glue touches the inside of the hull as well as the top of the overshot wad.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-15-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Buddy
    I use Duco cement. Find it at the hardware store. Like the others noted use a 10 gauge overshot card. The Duco cement goes on easily and holds well.

Don

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone. I am going to get some 10 ga overshot cards. The 11ga are slightly to small.

Boolit Buddy
    I always used cheap window & door caulking when I loaded brass shot shells.

Nothing expensive,,just the common latex or silicone based stuff.
    It's easy to handle if you buy it in those smaller handy-man tubes (about the size of a tooth paste tube,,instead of weilding a caulking gun around.

After putting the overshot wad in place,,put blob of the caulk in the joint between the wad and the edge of the case. Run it around the inside circumference with your finger and set it aside to harden up. Over night will do it.
    I used to seat the wad about 1/8" +/- below the mouth of the case. Made room for a tidy fillet of caulk up against the edge.

The stuff is tough enough to resist the recoil, but blows out with the shot. Nothing left in the case or bore from it.

Boolit Master
    Are these new brass shells? Maybe you need to rough up the inside lead edge of the brass so the glue has something to grab.
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Grand Master

I second using a large enough wad but also second the use of Dupont Duco Cement. I seat the wad slightly below the case mould and run a bead of cement around that junction. I have NEVER had this fail.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    I remember along time ago reloaders used liquid glass (what ever that is)
    Bob

Boolit Master

Water Glass or silicate of soda is what the oldtimers used. Have some in our local pharmacy but the price is scary !!!!!!!

They called it "egg keep" guess they dipped eggs in it and it would totally seal the shell making the eggs last for months.
    The old timers had a use for everything since most of them had little or no money. My people "squatted" a claim in the 1870's. Lived off ducks from the many potholes and the rabbits that ran everywhere. I just wish one of the old shotguns they used had stayed in the family. All I have is lots of story's.
    Last edited by Reg; 11-19-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: more info

Boolit Man
    Another vote for Duco Cement, it works great!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have loaded the Mag-tech Brass 12 ga. Hulls for about 5 years now with my 100% BP loads.
    I tried all the different ways to make the overshot wad stay intact and did not care for any of them. The water glass is expensive and does not hold that well for me. It's more than likely from my mishandling than the material itself. I found the glue to be messy and not easy to control.
    I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased two small glue guns. They are about a third as large as the standard models. They sell for about $5 ea. plus your glue sticks.
    You are able to lay down a perfect bead that looks like a professional weld bead. It is fast, easy, and neat to do. The glue is blown from the hull upon firing, leaving no residue behind to be cleaned. It has been the best way that I have found to date. Try it, You may like it. David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet