Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Question about a Herters powder thrower

Question about a Herters powder thrower

Just was given a new to me Herters Powder thrower that looks just like this the one below, whats the word on them? Accurate, vintage, how do you adjust em, any other info? I will be picking it up this weekend so I do not have it in front of me.

W

I have one like yours which I was testing just yesterday. I tried 20 drops of 5 grains Unique and had 2 of the 20 show 5.2 grains, the others were 5 grains even. I then tried 10 drops of 15 grains Unique; all ten dropped at 15. I then tried some 3Fg black powder. I did not count the number of drops as they were hitting exactly the same. When dumping the powder, you do need to firmly bump the charge drum against its stop a couple times to ensure the powder left the measure.

You should have a charge tube with a graduated plunger inside it that is held by a clamp nut and a lock nut. I don't see it on your measure. The tube goes into the rotor or drum through the slot in the measure drum housing and is held in the drum by a set screw in the side of the drum. If that is missing from your measure, it should not be a major job to fabricate a replacement.

Thanks for the info, the pic is one I just grabbed online. I'll have mine in hand something in a week or so.

Boolit Master

I had one exactly like in the picture. Probably 10 or better years since I used it. Best thing I can say about it, is I don't recall any problems. I do recall using it to load some where in the neighborhood of a thousand rds of 223 using Win 748 ball powder.

I sold it via Ebay during the height of the shortages. I can't remember the number but got way more than it was worth along with a bunch of other old Herter's stuff I bought dirt cheap at an estate sale.

EDIT: Right after hitting send I do recall a simple problem with it. Using it for the first time the drum was sticky. After dumping the powder I rubbed the mating surfaces with steel wool and coated the area with Motor Mica or graphite and the problem disappeared.
    Last edited by azrednek; 10-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.

good to hear that no issues stood out. The only picture I have is crappy but it appears to be missing the screw that is in the middle right above the outlet. Whats it purpose? Set screw to hold drum in??

Boolit Master

My recollection is something and I'm assuming the screw you mentioned. Either being removed or loosened to remove the drum. I'm sorry but it has been to many years to remember.

Thanks.
    Anyone have a manual around or one posted somewhere online?

The screw in question is presumably to drain the unused propellant. Don't think it works very well. The drum is held in place by the drop tube. The drop tube is held in place by a set screw in the side of the drum.

Dan cash ,
    Thanks, getting giddy to try this thing out, work week is gonna go slow.

While i have not used mine in years, better make that decades, I recall it worked well with ball, 2400, etc., it was a poor performer with 4831.

Any luck with 231 or bullseye in them?

Boolit Master

It`s the only measure I own that won`t bind up or leak H-110

Don`t sweat cleanin it up , it only disasm. 1 way, just go easy polishin the aluminum & use lots of powdered graphite on reasm.

GP100man

Got it home , disassembled, graphited and re assembled. Wow i like the way it is made. Been throwin' power pistol max - .1 gr for last 50 throws , looks like it will work just fine.

Boolit Mold
    I would try to replace the drop tube with a plastic one if you are going to use it to weight individual loads in a scale pan. The iron drop tube tends to scratch the scale pan. Maybe the RCBS plastic drop tubes would fit.

Sounds like a good idea.