Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Marlins New Bolt Rifle

Boolit Master at heavens range

Marlins New Bolt Rifle

Dealer showed me a new Bolt rifle made by Marlin, Black plastic stock, Heavy barrel, blued, good trigger for $389.00, USA made. made in 223,22-250 and 308- hopefully a 1-12 tiwst ??, A fellow bought in a target he fired in 223 and under a dime at 100 yds. Anyone know much about them, It maybe a good cast bullet gun in 308 If it has 1-12 twist. Thanks- Joe

Boolit Master
    Joe,

Nothing first hand here, but from the reports I see, there are some low end rifles that are doing quite well.

The RUGER American is getting lots of good reports. Their web site says it is available in .243, .308, .270 and 30/06.

Mossberg even had one that might ?? take a second look and that is a lot to say for Mossberg.

Sorry Mossberg lovers, Just an Ol'opinionated Ol'Coot here!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    are you talking about the XS series rifle, if so a friend has one he got for his wife in 7-08. they both love it, he say's when he can afford it he's getting another for him. i've shot it on sevreal occations, and it's very accurate for the money. it will shoot 1moa at 100yds all day with factory ammo, so you know it can made better with some handloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Joe,

Nothing first hand here, but from the reports I see, there are some low end rifles that are doing quite well.

The RUGER American is getting lots of good reports. Their web site says it is available in .243, .308, .270 and 30/06.

Mossberg even had one that might ?? take a second look and that is a lot to say for Mossberg.

Sorry Mossberg lovers, Just an Ol'opinionated Ol'Coot here!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    If your a fan of the Mossberg rifles, I'm sorry for what I'm about to say. First off I've got a Mossberg 500 shotgun that's awesome. But, the rifles leave a lot to be desired. I had a 100ATR that was the worst rifle I've ever owned. There's probably lots of guys out there that like them though. The bolt was pretty weak. The extractor and ejector are cheap **** and will break on occasion. I didn't like the follower either. It was a cheap piece of sheet metal. I replaced the extrator 3 times on mine and the 3rd time sold the *** without shooting it. I do hear that the Marlin's and Ruger American are good. Sorry if I offended anyone.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned

I have a Marlin XL-7, I bought it in 30-06 and put a 35 whelen barrel on it. It's a nice rifle.

My dad bought one in 270, he likes it too.

If it's a Marlin XS-7, which stands for the short action, it should be a good rifle. I like it and was contemplating getting one in 7-08.

I bought a Marlin X-7 rifle in 7mm-08 with shorter youth stock for my grandson. I chose it over other brands due to reports of great accuracy.
    When it came in, I did remove the two fore end bearing points in order to free float the barrel in the Sny. stock. On my first range test using a max load of H4895 powder with 140 gr. Sierra Pro hunter bullet, I got a 3 shot group that measured at .490 or under 1/2 inch.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Knifemaker,

Seems like the makers have put on the think'in cap as the Marlin and RUGER are sure getting good marks.

With Savage's rep for good barrels, I wonder how their lower priced rifle are doing?

Sure hope Remington doesn't spoil the soup now that they have taken over Marlin.

Lots of folk not happy with the Remlin lever actions.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I have a Marlin XL-7, I bought it in 30-06 and put a 35 whelen barrel on it. It's a nice rifle.

My dad bought one in 270, he likes it too.
    I have one that's wearing a 35 Whelen barrel as well, but it started out as a 270. My barrel is an Adams & Bennett from Midway and it's an amazing shooter.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I can't help but think the Ruger American looks a lot like a Tikka T3 with a Sako stock and a Savage trigger. So should be pretty good, I'll hang on to my M77s for now though.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The local gun shop had a bunch of them a couple of years ago when the current model came out. They walked out the door, but the last one stalled on the shelf, our dollar went up and the Edge (now called Axis) came out and they were way cheaper. Aussies don't seem to like blind mags. I haven't seen any for a long while (well a year or more). The gun store guy said he hadn't heard from the guys that bought them,so he reckons they must have been allright. Said that guys didn't hesitate tobitch when guns didn't work out,lol.

I sort of fancied one because I have a few Marlin lever rifles, but was never cashed up enough when they were available.

The Ruger American seems to be setting the pace at the moment.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master at heavens range
    I was thinking of getting one in 308 since it has a 1-12 teist for cast bullets and can use it in the factory class rifle matchs, It sure lokked like a nice action and gun for under 400 with a varmitnt barrel, desides the Doc say you got to have something to look forward everday and its time to go for a shot of chemo. Joe

My father-in-law has a Marlin X-7 (can remember if it has a short or long throw), in .308 and it is very accurate. Think when he got it a couple years ago it was only $329.00. He is extremely happy with the gun.

Banned

.308 will be the S or short action.

Boolit Master
    i just looked, they do make one with a short heavy barrel. i think it's the varmit model.