RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skid wood grips

I read somewhere, that when S&W ran low on wood for grips they would go outside and make them from shipping pallets, supposedly the prettiest ones were made from them.

Boolit Grand Master

Beautiful wood there even if it is now... unpalatable???

Some of the pallets have very fine hardwood in them, including some really fine teak. I made a lot of stuff from the pallets my lathe came on, but local onnes here are all cottonwood.

In Remembrance

Your nice figured wood reminds me of the 2 pieces of Birds eye maple that I saved from a pallet about to be burned.Robert

Boolit Master
    Wow, excellent look and something you would not expect from a recycled piece of wood.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    A good source of nice exotic pallet wood is Japanese motorcycle shops. Parts/bikes often arrive palletized, and I too have grabbed some pretty wood out of them.

Nice job.
    Judan

Boolit Master

Thems plain PURTY.

I see you like the no-flared shape also.

That straight shape vs the flared makes all the difference on how well I can shoot a Blackhawk, or Super Blackhawk
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I recycle pallets into target holders, but your recycling takes the cake.

You have such great vision in your craft.

In Remembrance

When a friend got his African lion mount here from being done in South Africa it was boxed and palleted in a native African wood. It had a beautiful multi color gold and shades of brown grain. I made a few knife handles from it and discovered the wood was as hard as a rock to work. Robert

Boolit Master

Beautiful work !!! I wouldn't change a thing. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Beautiful grips, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

very nice sir!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Love Life
    You are an artist.

Boolit Master

They look great! I have a bunch of pallet wood in my garage that I've saved over the years. I wish I had the tools to really do something with it.

I've made a few things, but it takes me forever. I did the grips for the Ballestor Molina maybe 15 years ago, out of some scraps of unknown hardwood. Whatever it is it seems to be oily or something. It won't take any finish. The ones for the Ruger .22 were also some unknown scraps.

The AK grip is pallet wood. We used to get a lot of oak pallets at work and I scavenged pieces from broken ones. I have an AK grip or two made from purpleheart also. That stuff is hard to work with, as I recall. I have a couple of big long pieces of purpleheart that I got years ago from a place that sold odd remnant stuff, cheap.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well Done sir!!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Nice grips!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Swindler, it must have been like finding a special present under the tree on Christmas morning when you found that wood. Free wood is always the best for wood workers isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    unfortunatly i have the tools and skill to get to about picture number two before i mess things up.
    DON'T GIVE UP! ! ! ! We all made our crude stuff back when we started. And a beginner can be someone at any age. Start with cheap lumberyard wood and work out ideas and skills with stuff which you won't feel bad about when the results are not up to snuff and you feed the learning mistakes to the fire place.

I don't have a lot of tools available at the moment due to house renos. But I still managed to make up some grips for my Ruger SBH using nothing more than hand tools and my drill press which just happened to be out and handy. The only tool we REALLY need is that strong and stable "third hand" in the form of a good bench vise. Other than that a few simple hand tools and some patience.

Boolit Master

Other than that a few simple hand tools and some patience.
    The patience part is important. I don't know how many times I just got in a hurry to be done with a project and really regretted it.

Boolit Buddy
    nice job on the grips
    made some out of a cedar sweater drying rack found in garbage
    keep up the good work
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Boolit Master
    I looked around and found the barn and all the buildings were made of black walnut.

I would bet my favorite pistol the wood was American Chestnut! Prior to the blight it was one of the most common trees in the forrest of that area. I have seen a quilt chest made from American Chestnut salvaged from an old barn that was beautiful, dark wood. It looked almost just like Walnut, almost!

I have made several knife handles from throw away and salvaged wood and a few pistol grips. BTW Beautifull grips!