WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model 1892 Winchester

Boolit Grand Master
    I hear ya, FFOD. The 1989-series 94CL in 25-20 came from the factory D&T for both scope mounts atop the receiver and for aperture sights on the receiver sidewall. I mounted a Lyman #66 thereon, and I like its work. The 2004-made 94CCL in 32-20 has the scope mount D&T, but the sidewall is not. I have debated about getting a Skinner sight set for this critter, but I cut my teeth on open irons in general and buckhorns like this rifle came with in particular, so I can make the system work for me. These probably aren't as precise as an aperture set, but my hit rate on varmints with the 25-20 and the 32-20 doesn't vary much--so from a practical viewpoint I'm not sure the difference matters a whole lot. I am loath to put an optical sight on any levergun, other than for load testing. The whole premise seems like mounting a camper shell on a Porsche to me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    If I filed the rear groove a bit wider, I would be ok, but I am reluctant to attack an original near enough 100yr old or older set of sights with a file. The 25/20 is fair game, it is the oldest 92 I own, but has been refinished, re-barrelled and has non original sights. The sights onit are pretty useable as they are and it is the only one I'd feel comfortable about altering, lol. Nowwwww! My Rossi 44Mag with it's invisible notch is about to suffer an attack of file-itus!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I don't have a 1892 in 25-20 but my brother does. I do have an 1892 in 32-20 as well as a Marlin 1894 CL in 32-20 and I can personally say they are awsome little guns to shoot. My family and I take many, many Boone and Crocket class ground squirrels with these carbines and a few 32-20 handguns every spring here in north Idaho. One of these days I figure on beating up my brother and taking possession of that 25-20 and giving it a proper home. Not really, he is a mechanical engineer by trade and insists on having it properly checked out by a competent gunsmith before shooting it. I personally know that it is just fine, but it belongs to him (actually his wife) so I have to abide by his rule there.

Hi All:

Thanks for all the info.

Terryt

Boolit Master
    For those of us that can't see well any more a scope is just about a must if we want to keep shooting despite their looks on a lever gun. While rummaging through a local gun store I found several mounts for the old Bushnell Phantom pistol scope, a couple of which are for the Win 92/94. These replace the rear sight and require no D&T. Even though my 1921 M92 has a weak barrel, it will still shoot 1 3/4" or so @ 100yds with cast. I can't do that with out the scope.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cataract surgery on my right eye largely restored my ability to use open or aperture irons with good effect. I am most thankful for that restoration.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Hi All:

Thanks for all the info.

Terrryt