Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good $600-$800 357 for shooting cast boolits.

Boolit Man

Good $600-$800 357 for shooting cast boolits.

I'm looking to get a .357 for shooting cast boolits. I've been looking at some S&W which i like. But, I want to make sure its good for shooting cast.

looking at Smith and Wesson 686 6" 357 and Ruger KGP 161 357 6"

Thanks.
    Last edited by glowe; 10-09-2012 at 10:44 AM.

I sure like my 686. I have no idea how many rounds have went down the barrel. all but about 40 have been cast.

My S&W 327-5 likes the 158gr mp hollow points.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper View Post
    I sure like my 686. I have no idea how many rounds have went down the barrel. all but about 40 have been cast.
    Thanks, Do you have a fav boolit and load?
    I would like to start with something that works. I buy 3-4 molds and to find a good one.
    Thanks

Greg

Boolit Master

I just picked up a Herters .357 for $200.00 (95%)........and it REALLY SHOOTS CAST WELL,,,a very accurate revolver !....if you can find one in good condition I would say go for it
    atr

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger 6" SS GP-100 and it is a great shooter of cast boolits. Other say the same of the 686 S&W, Don't think you could go wrong with either.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Man
    Thanks Guys
    I get faster answers here then asking my wife a question. lol
    Greg

Boolit Master
    I have been having a lot of fun lately with a Ruger Security Six. I think they are a bargain for what you get. Mine is stainless with a 6" barrel, and it has been very reliable and accurate. I just started casting, but it sure liked the Lee TL358-158-SWC unsized over Unique I tried last week.

Boolit Master
    My issue with the .357 is leading at high velocity. What do you plan to do with your .357? I bought my son a brace of Ruger 3-screw Blackhawks, one is 4 5/8" and the other is 6 1/2" and they are great at the pedestrian velocities of cowboy action shooting and wheelweight lead. I’d love to get a Keith mold and see how these guns perform at distance but the .357 has a bad habit of leading at high velocity. Jacketed boolits are, well, jacketed boolits. About as exciting to shooting in a revolver as kissing your own sister.

Are looking at dispensing lead at any velocity out of your .357 or shooting jacketed boolits?

I've gotten great results with 6inch Taurus revolvers of the model 66 and older 669 variety. I've bought and sold some S&W and Rugers (Security Six and Blackhawk) but still have the two Taurus. Save some money and try one.

There are shooters here that don't like their guns, but I've not had a bad one yet. All are 6 inch, 357's. They shoot as accurate as the Blackhawk I had. I'm just not a single action shooter though. Different strokes...

I only shoot cast, and use checked bullets with high velocity bullets, mainly because I shoot them in my lever action rifle too.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 10-09-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

about leading....Im shoot mine at 1350 fps with keith style plain base 358429 / 165 gr....and no leading...no leading in either of my .357 Mag revolvers....I use supermoly as a lubricant
    I've been shooting the Herters .357 Mag at 1 gallon paint cans at 75+ yards...off hand Im hitting that can 4 out of 6 times

ADMIN

if your not going to be carrying it may I suggest a nice S&W model 27 or 28

something like this one -> http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=309887172

It is a N-frame gun so its heavy but you can shoot full mag loads and the recoil isn't that bad.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    if your not going to be carrying it may I suggest a nice S&W model 27 or 28

something like this one -> http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=309887172

It is a N-frame gun so its heavy but you can shoot full mag loads and the recoil isn't that bad.
    my n-frame is one of my all time favorite guns period.

Boolit Master

Either the 686 or the Ruger GP will do cast just fine. Go look at them, handle them and pick the one that appeals to you. There is no wrong answer between a GP and 686 IMO.

PS.Here is something that might matter. The 686 is D&T'd for Weaver mount (dot sight) and has a smoother DA pull out of the box than the GP. So if you are going to shoot competitive PPC or want a dot sight on it, the 686 would have an advantage. As far as accuracy and SA triggers both are equal IMO.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Between the GP and the 686, I would take the 686. Just a better gun -- not that the Ruger is bad, per se, just the 686 is better.

I would also +1 a Model 28. They can be picked up relatively inexpensively -- certainly in your price range -- and are built like a tank. YMMV, but my 28 has the best DA pull of any revolver I have. In SA, it is tied with my Python. ...and it came from the factory that way. I have not touched it internally. You can shoot heavy loads in it all day and it just laughs at you!

Colt Python. Once you try on you will never go back.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    my n-frame is one of my all time favorite guns period.
    I like them too.
    Thats why I own 8 of them

625 -rb - 45acp - 3 inch
    625 -sb - 45acp/460 rowland - 5 inch
    625 -rb - 45acp - 5 inch
    657 - rb - 41 mag - 3inch
    657 - sb - 41 mag - 6 inch
    38/44 - sb - 38sp - 6 inch
    28 - sb - 357 mag - 4 inch
    29 - sb - 44 mag - 6 inch

Find someone with a Nframe and shoot it. Either a 28 or a 27 and you will be hooked.

Boolit Master

There is no guarantee that any will be "good for shooting cast", as they can all be plauged with dimensional issues. My pick would be an older N-frame S&W though.

Boolit Master

+2 on the model 28 S&W...its the other .357 I own and it too is a great shooter

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had several .357's in the past ~25 years. My advice is to pick the one that balances and feels best to you. An action job isn't that expensive, once you have proven the basic accuracy of the gun.

There are a plethora of stocks available for the S&W K/L frame, and several for the N frame and GP-100 also. The original rubber grips on the GP-100 work pretty well.

I only have two things against an N frame S&W-- 1. the cylinder is too short for loading the Lyman 358429 in Magnum brass, and 2. I have never been able to find a set of stocks for an N frame that really fit my hand.

The .357 that I ended up keeping? A four inch blued GP-100. It works well as a grab it and go gun.

Robert