MCD ProductsRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bullet versus barrel twist

Beekeeper

bullet versus barrel twist

I saw a formula for deciding the right boolit for a black powder rifle but lost the place so am interested in finding out if there is a formula that will give the (recommended best) boolit for a given barrel length and twist.

It is nothing important as I am just bored and looking for something to help as a mind game.Thought it might help me with some of the odd ball rifles I have.

beekeeper

Boolit Master

Google The Greenhill Formula...

Should get you on your way...

Good-luck...BCB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Google The Greenhill Formula...

Should get you on your way...

Good-luck...BCB
    Doesn't work!
    Then what BP rifles? Muzzle loaders, RB, inlines, BPCR?

Boolit Master

What doesn't work?...

Google or the Greenhill Formula?...

Oh well, it was worth a try--either one I suppose!!!...

Boolit Master

Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    What doesn't work?...

Google or the Greenhill Formula?...

Oh well, it was worth a try--either one I suppose!!!...
    Greenhill! It has been made to work by changing figures to match what is being shot so if you have a 1 in 10" twist, you can alter Greenhill to show it is correct.
    Over the last 57 years I have collected about 100 different twist papers. All have been way too slow a twist for the cartridge.
    Marlin used Greenhill to make the .44 a 1 in 38" twist.
    There is nothing on paper that works better then experience of shooters.

Boolit Master

The Greenhill formula was used originally for artillery. As stated, it's unsuitable for cast. There was a modified Greenhill formula published about 8 years ago in the Fouling Shot. It seemed to work pretty well but I've lost it. Maybe someone will post it here. Felix and I played with it over one winter with the .44 Magnum and various heavyweight (300+ grain) bullets (all designs that we both had and could beg, borrow or steal. I made a spreadsheet model and we punced in the weights, lengths and diameters for all variables we could imagine. The conclusion we reached is that the .44 Magnum required a twist of 1 to 26 3/4" for the probability of good accuracy with 240-320 grain cast bullets. Felix was shooting a Ruger and his 1:26 twist was fine. I played with a factory M1894 .44 Mag, a 336 .44 Mag (also 1:38) and a M1894 with a 1:20 twist custom barrel. The 1:20 twist handled 300+ bullets fine but was unusable on lighter bullets. I bought a new Winchester Legacy with a 1:26 twist and had immediate success with it so the modified Greenhill was pretty close to right.

It also worked for me with the M1894 Marlin .25-20 with its 1:14 twist. Rebarreling to a 1:12 twist brought 95 grain bullets into stability and good accuracy.

Maybe somebody will post it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I have always wondered if anyone EVER really did a study of handgun twist rates or if the twist rate grabbed out of thin air way back when has just always been used since nobody expected any sort of real accuracy from a handgun.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    I have always wondered if anyone EVER really did a study of handgun twist rates or if the twist rate grabbed out of thin air way back when has just always been used since nobody expected any sort of real accuracy from a handgun.
    I have fallen in love with BFR revolvers because all have faster twist rates. Never have I shot such tight groups and out shoot most rifles to 547 yards.
    I even believe a 45-70 rifle should be 1 in 16". 1 in 20" is too slow and 1 in 18" is borderline. My BFR 45-70 is 1 in 14".
    I think the .44 mag would be better at 1 in 16".
    A rifle that can shoot faster can use a slower twist with revolver calibers.
    Beagle showed that but the 1 in 38" sucked big time. Even Marlin changed the .444 to 1 in 20" because of complaints but left the .44 mag the same, based on Greenhill. You can change any formula for one caliber but it will fall apart with another.
    Magnum Research is getting it right for revolvers.
    My thoughts on revolvers is that as the barrel gets shorter and velocity gets lower, the twist should be faster.

The SIMPLIFIED Greenhill Formula is:
    Twist = 150 X D˛/L
    Where:
    D = bullet diameter in inches
    L= bullet length in inches
    150 = a constant
    The biggest problem with this version is the 150 constant. The reason that it's called the "simplified" formula is because ALL the other factors in the FULL Greenhill formula were solved for the specific instance of a 220 grain roundnosed jacketed bullet at .30-40 Krag velocities and simplified into a 150 constant. It works moderately well UNDER THE CONDITIONS that it was derived for and less well as you get further from those conditions.
    Round ball at 700 fps? Not a real accurate answer.
    Cast spitzer at 1400 fps? Probably not gonna be exact.
    Solid copper VLD at 3700 fps? Also not real accurate.
    311290 out of a .30-30? Probably real close to giving you the required twist.
    The FULL Greenhill is very accurate and includes factors for the changes in the ballistic coefficient as the velocity changes, the initial velocity, and enough other variables to give you a headache. That's the reason the simplified version was developed. It's a Rule-Of-Thumb that people insist on trying to apply incorrectly.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Charter Member #148

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Gives me 1 in 32" for a RD 265 gr .44 boolit---WRONG.

Boolit Master

I remember reading someplace—might have been the Fouling Shot—that the constant can be changed to sort of fit the boolit and velocity. I don’t remember where it was at, but that might be a help to using the Greenhill Formula…

BCB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Gives me 1 in 32" for a RD 265 gr .44 boolit---WRONG.
    I take it you mean for the velocity you can reach in your revolver a 1-32 twist won't stabilize the 265RD.
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Lets go to the .500 JRH. It shows 1 in 37"----WRONG. Shoots best at 1 in 15".
    Nothing I ever found works.
    To under stabilize is far worse then over. Over will go to sleep with distance. Just right will work at many distances.
    Notice a gyroscope will start to wobble as it slows and if you touch it it goes crazy and falls.
    Look at a .50 caliber muzzle loader. 1 in 60" will stabilize a RB but not a Maxi ball. 1 in 28 works for neither but works for a sabot and a sub caliber bullet. ! in 48" will do well with both a RB and a Maxi ball.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I take it you mean for the velocity you can reach in your revolver a 1-32 twist won't stabilize the 265RD.
    Yes but not even in a rifle. A rifle should be somewhere from 1 in 20" to 1 in 26" depending on the boolit.

Boolit Grand Master

44; I just plugged in the numbers for the 360 minnie ball that I shoot in a CVA 1in 48 bbl. It shows a 1 in 41 twist is needed to be fully stabilized at exit with as cast length of .840" and pure lead for SG at 1430 fps. Now this minnie shoots good in my rifle at 50 yds, much past that I can't verify because of my eyesight and the sights, but I did clobber a WT doe with it at about 100 yds, maybe a hair over. Now this minnie ball will shorten some when it obturates the bore, how much I don't actually know, just for grins I figured .050" that calculation shows a 1 in 44 twist is the min needed to full stabilize, so according to that my 1in48 is not fully stabilizing the minnie.
    I also used this calculator for CM in carcano 91/41, Jeff NZ did too. It recommended a velocity of 1750 fps to fully stabilize that bullet, sure showed an improvement, no more perfect ovals on target that were there at 14-1500. I'm sure there is no perfect way to estimate twist rate, but this one seems better than Greenhills basic formula.
    Charter Member #148

Banned

You can find a match if you look hard but the problem is that the formulas do not fit every caliber or bullet.
    That calculator is close for some calibers. It is far out for others.
    I would not depend on it. But it really is better then Greenhill.
    Distance shot is also so important.

Repeat: The further you get from the conditions that were simplified in generating the 150 constant in the simplified Greenhill, the less accurate the results are. If you want something more accurate, it's going to be more complex. I believe Tom Meyers has a twist calculator on his website or you could try this one: http://www.border-barrels.com/barrel_twist.htm
    Lots of fun to play with.
    Rick

Boolit Master

44Man, what do you think of this sort of calculator?

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi
    Jeff