Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many don't find Lee's dies to be 'defective'?

I have used lee for over 25 years, you will not find anything else on my bench. I at one time shot over a thousand rds a week in 9mm.. My lee load master keeps me supplied. As for accuracy, I can still put 15 rds in a 2" circle at 25 yds...I also use the lee 3 hole turret press for rifle loads when I am real picky about accuracy..
    I load all the following with lee dies... 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 45acp, 380 for the wife... I load the following for rifles... 223 bolt x2, 223 mini 14 target rifle.. 30/06, 308, 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, 6.5x52 carcano...also just started using the load master for 223... turns out a lot of quality ammo...

so for me; you can buy more expensive dies than lee, but you can't buy better for the money...I also think the lee molds are the best and easiest to use on the market... just follow instructions, and no problems...
    jimga
    jimga

Boolit Master
    "...you can't buy better for the money......"

I doubt we can buy better performing dies for twice the money.

All of the reloading die manufacturers will let a defective die slip through on occasion and Lee is no exception. I do prefer Lee dies for most of my loading.

I've never had a problem with any of my Lee dies. I found that the Lee .50BMG dies were better machined than the much higher cost RCBS version I started with. Lee is the best value for anywhere near the money!
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I have a Lee die set for every caliber I load for. I've added other sets of other brands I bought used for specific applications, but if I'm buying for a new caliber, I always start with Lee's nicest set in that caliber. Gets me loading that caliber the fastest with the least investment. If later on I feel a need to tweak, I get a specific die of another brand for that special situation.

I've had zero defects, though some have been a little rough on the outside.

Boolit Buddy
    i have many sets of lee dies and never once did i find a problem die

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    I sold off my non-Lee dies. The carbide pistol dies resize further down than any other brand. I have had exactly ONE defective Lee Die; it was a 32 acp powder-through-expander die which had the hole drilled off center and it would pinch the cases and ruin the case. Lee replaced it.
    I think I own about 30 Lee die sets but I don't know for sure. I have dies for calibers I don't reload.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Bub
    Lee dies have been great for me.

Boolit Man
    I've never had a defective Lee die of any sort. I'm not married to them, but they work as expected and a few of their ideas, like the powder-through dies, are real innovations.

Boolit Grand Master

I have Lee dies in .44, .308 and .303. I like them. In fact the Lee collet die in .303 works great ~ I just want to neck size those.

I have had a Lee Challenger press for about 20 years and just picked up a 4 hole turret press which I really like. I recently bought a Lee Universal case mouth expander die and have a charge through rifle die on order. I plan to fill all four holes!

Never had a problem or complaint about my Lee dies.

Longbow

Banned
    All of my dies and majority of my reloading equipment is Lee. I have NEVER found any of the Lee products to be defective. Most of the defect lies in the user (me).

Boolit Mold
    Same here. Half my dies are LEE. Because of them, I'm into reloading and wildcatting and I'm broke ... but happy! Seriously, any problems I have ever had with their dies (or any others') have been OPERATOR induced. I don't doubt that others may have had wierd stuff happen ... off-center this, over/undersized that, whatever ... but NOT in my experience. CH4D makes up the next biggest number (because Dave's my go-to-guy for odd-ball calibers and wildcats), with Hornady, Lyman, RCBS accounting for less than 40 calibers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 040.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Lee dies work, plain and simple. Not my first choice, but they will load quality ammo for sure.

Of probably about 30 sets of dies, 6 are Lee. They work just fine, no defects or problems. The only defective die I ever had was a .222 Rem neck sizing die made by Redding. It was purchased new but left a deep score in the neck. It was returned to Redding and they corrected it fine.
    I have been happy with all Lee equipment, except for their low end C-press.

Have Lee dies for nine calibers, plus various neck sizing dies, FCD, Universal expander, Universal de-priming die. Never a problem.

Boolit Bub
    Lee works as well for me as any other brand. I own dies by most manufacturers but all of my last several die purcases have been Lee. My future purchases will be too.

Other than small little gripes like the useless lock rings I haven't had any problems with my Lee 9mm dies.

Boolit Mold
    Lee got me started in 1963. Wish to God they'd bring back their Target Model hand tools.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    I love them and have never had a problem, they are the only brand that offers a set of dies that seat and crimp separately, which is very nice when loading cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    I love them and have never had a problem, they are the only brand that offers a set of dies that seat and crimp separately, which is very nice when loading cast boolits.
    No there are others that do seat and crimp separate.

Take care

r1kk1