WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Action strength of H&R 1871 Classic?

Boolit Buddy

Action strength of H&R 1871 Classic?

I have a Wesson & Harrington (Gardener, MA) Model 1871 Classic Target in .38-55.

How is this action classified in terms of strength? Is it stronger than a vintage lever action. How about against the new Marlins? Bet it doesn't match a Ruger #1!

Just trying to get an idea how hot a load I can run without wearing out the action prematurely (yeah I know - a relative term )

Thanks, Andy

Boolit Master

that rifle will take low level ruger loads , and ne safe. they make it in 500s&w thats rated 50,000 psi . it will take alott more than you can

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Andy, irrespective of the rifle make, the 38-55 SAAMI specification is 30,000 CUP. Start exceeding reloads above this limit and expect the worst
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Andy, irrespective of the rifle make, the 38-55 SAAMI specification is 30,000 CUP. Start exceeding reloads above this limit and expect the worst

+1 on the above!

Boolit Buddy
    OK - will stay under the 30,000 CUP limit.

What Ken Waters action group category (I, II, III) do you guys think this action fits in?

A few guys have mentioned developing excessive headspace. I wonder if this happened easily, or if the guys were shooting long range competition, and the actions had a much higher round count than one puts in an average hunting rifle?

Boolit Master
    You might try using 375 win brass for higher pressure loads,and 375 reloading data might be helpful.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master

Just use BP and you won't ever wear it out, and it is a lot more fun.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

in Remebrance
    Andy, I almost hate to say it, but go to the graybeard site, in the FAQ there is plenty info and pics on how to tell whether you have the SB-1 or SB-2 frame. The #1 is made of cast iron, the #2 is of investment cast steel. The iron frame is NOT suitable for heavy loads regardless of caliber. My advice is to not go above Marlin rated loads. I can guarantee you won't like heavy loads. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

You do know how close the 38-55 and the .375 win mag are in case specs, yes? The .375 Win is just a souped up .38-55 essentially. Your action is rated as strong enough to handle safely any sane load in a 30-06 headsize. Meaning way more than any 30-30 headsize load can produce without flowing brass. The rifles are all SB2 frames, and that's what I'm referring to here. Modern 38-55 brass is a little longer (maybe) than .375 Win. brass and has a different headstamp. Starline is your friend.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 of the W&H frames and can tell you they are SB2s. I've fitted several different barrells to them and they will withstand full power 45/70 loads with no problems. The high pressure cartridges I routinely shoot from these frames are 22-250, 270, 30-06, and 30-30 Ackley Improved. +1 on GBO site. Alot of info there and any question you ask will be answered. Go to the FAQ section and you will find out just about anything you need to know.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Boolit Master

H&R website also shows pictures of the two frame types. As far as the load goes, I would suggest the trapdoor loads. I have an H&R 1871 Classic Carbine in .45 colt. Warm loads with a 310gr boolit quickly remind the shooter of the crescent steel butt plate. The color case hardened steel butt plate is very efficient at recoil transfer to the shooter with very minimal energy loss. Frank