Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: RCBS lubamatic problem

RCBS lubamatic problem

I just bought a used RCBS lubamatic and the plunger is stuck at the bottom of the reservoir. Tried to turn the rod one way and it was very stiff. Tried to turn it the other way and the rod protruded out the bottom. I went ahead and screwed it all the way out and then back in. Still stiff screwing the rod back in. Logic said that if I mounted the unit on the bench so that the rod could not screw out, that it would force the plunger up to the top. Still very stiff and the plunger did not come up. I plugged the heater in and let it set for about 45 minutes. Rod turned much easier, but the plunger still did not come up. Shone a light into the reservoir while turning the rod and could see that the plunger was turning with the rod.

Now I'm thinking ( I don't do it often, I'm not very good at it and it hurts a little ), should I plug the heater in again to soften things up and then dismount the whole unit and then screw the rod out a ways. Do I dare try to tap on the bottom of the rod to force the plunger up a ways. then maybe screw out a bit more and tap again.
    I'm, thinking if I don't screw the rod out to far, it will be better supported and have less chance of damage when I tap on it. I'm hoping if I do it in baby steps, there's less chance of mucking something up.

Does anybody see any flaws in my reasoning or can someone offer a better way. Thanks, Dale

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't remember just how the threaded rod clears the bottom of the casting, but it sounds like your idea would work.

What I would try first though; is to wedge a screwdriver* between the wall and the plunger to stop it from spinning, and make it star to climb the thread.

* Screwdriver-- The most misused tool ever invented.

Robert

bolt it down , that'll help stop the rod from pushing out and allow the plunger to move up the rod , it's when the plunger doesnt turn with the rod that it's down past the threads and presents the problems of having to restart the threads
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Buddy
    Which LAM do you have. I are two different types (I have both). I think the one you have is the earlier one where there is a staked cap on the bottom of the reservoir and the thread rod goes up from the bottom and seats in the cap. Also the top cap is a slip fit on the top of the reservoir. The way you describe getting it out sounds like it will work or you can just push on it instead of tapping on it. I think the reason it is turning in the reservoir is that the O-rings on the piston are worn out. They are not providing enough resistance against the sides and are just allowing the piston to turn.

The second type of LAM has a solid bottom and the top cap/pressure screw is threaded on the top.

Hope this helps.

Bret

Boolit Mold
    The Lube-a-Matic turns clockwise to bring the plunger up. BUT you need to secure the Lube-a-Matic to the bench first. This will ensure that the rod kick in on the bench and the the plunger would be lifted to the top. I also agree with Smokin7mm that the O-rings could be worn out and therefore it does not give resistance and therefore it would turn inside the lube channel. After securing it to the bench, see if the plunger is running around as you turn - if that is the case, you will have to stick something in to brake it. Hope you come right with it.