RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expierment gone good!

Boolit Bub
    Blues Bear
    Never tried post-its but did experiment with puter lables/sticky price tag lables on my cast .30 cals. .....one complete wrap with ends butting together for a straight seam and then one wrap of tape for lube.
    Had some success but it was too labor intensive and had to use razor blade to trim any part hanging over the base area for a flush trim and no tail and just went back to 2 wraps of tape.

In the tapeing process I never found a need to stretch it to put it on...it never mattered if the boolit received 1.75.or.1.90.or .2.25 wraps.. the accuracy remained the same (once you'd already found your accuracy with that particular boolit/load )

I usually never size them before taping and use the time to wrap instead...

Have a 45/70 Lee 500 gr GC load that will consistantly shoot 1.75 inch/3shots/190 yds/1300 fps with my #3 Ruger and my B-78 as well...Tested sized vs. unsized with this load and 2 wraps tape and never saw an appreciable difference so quit sizeing them. Found the same to be true at 2000 fps with 350 gr PB with reversed GC under base of boolit.

Have recovered boolits from berm to note a thin "string " ..1/2 inch or so of tape still attached on all and some tape still in the lube grooves and is no detriment to accuracy regardless of velocity.

From all appearances, teflon tape does not require any exactness when "patching" to achieve accuracy/non leading..just cover the boolit from the base end to the front driveing band and if some slightly overlaps this band this is good, as no lead/ww touches the bore at the front.

Whether you shoot straight wall or bottle neck cases , case necks need to be belled/expanded to seat the taped boolits with out bunching up or tearing the tape....I use an inexpensive Lee universal case expander die good from .224 to .458 and then useing Lee crimp die remove the flare or crimp if i choose

So if you have an accurate load useing your favorite lube try it with tape instead, especially if its in the high velocities.

max..
    Last edited by hs45/70; 05-12-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Another thing that Snooky did was use the flame of a bic lighter to shrink the teflon tape to the bullet. Seems to have worked out ok.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    What carpetman said(so that the world remains orderly). BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    What carpetman said(so that the world remains orderly). BvT
    I thought CarpetMan changed his handle to "Hogan's Goat".

I Do a bit of paper patching and the teflon tape idea interests me . I think this might work well for the .310 lees I have for my .444 . I was wondering How much does 2 wraps of teflon increase bullet diameter?

Monroe, Washington in the The Great Pacific NorthWet
    HS4570, IF you like paper parched boolits try the Post-It tape some time.
    You can usually find a partial roll laying around at Kinko's. It comes on a throwaway dispenser like Scotch Tape.
    It tears very easy and is just sticky enough to make it easy to wrap the boolit.
    It's white and comes in quarter inch, half inch and one inch widths.

Boolit Master
    We better watch out... now they'll be trying to ban Teflon tape!

Boolit Bub

Dnepr/ Bluesbear

I shoot the 310 gr Lee GC in my 1972 Microgroove Marlin .444 scoped 3x9 ..My Lee mold drops them at about .432 avg. and two wraps of tape is .434 avg. useing WC WWts.

At 50.0 gr. H335....1992..1994..1997 fps.. 3 shots /100yds/ 1.50 inch
    51.0 gr. H335..2054..2010..2026 fps..3 shots/100yds/1.60 inch

In each target the first two shots are well under an inch and the 3rd shot opening up the group is usually my fault. Have gone 52 to 55 gr H335 but accuracy was over 2 inches.

My best reduced load useing this taped boolit is 21.0 gr Bluedot..1598..1597..1588 fps. 3 shots/100 yds/ 1.25 inch

Blues bear.....what caliber/bullet/powder did you have your success with the post-its patching ?
    Last edited by hs45/70; 05-14-2007 at 02:40 AM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yes, just stay upwind when shooting it. There used to be some gun cleaning lubes containing fluorocarbons, but I see they are no longer on the market. These compounds can theoretically create glass-etching fumes when flamed or heated beyond a certain limit. I wouldn't worry about it when using the necessary precautions. ... felix
    felix

Thanks HS45/70 that looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by hs45/70 View Post
    Blues bear.....what caliber/bullet/powder did you have your success with the post-its patching ?
    We were shooting them in my old H&R '73 Trapdoor Officers and my friend's vintage Remington Rolling Block.

We started out using Pyrodex. We didn't know that there were special boolits meant to be used with patching while the rest weren't. We just started trying it to improve accuracy with Pyrodex.
    We used three different boolits that I can recall. I think they were Lyman #457125, 457126 & 457193. I think the alloy we were using back then was 25 to 1. I know it was just a little softer than 20 to 1.

Later on we tried them with IMR 3031, 4198 & 4227 smokless powders. We used lighter loads for my H&R and heavier ones for his Remington.
    Patching didn't always improve the accuracy but it did seem to make all of them more consistent. And cleaning was certainly much easier. The biggest accuracy difference was in the Rolling Block. If we wrapped them too much they wouldn't chamber in my H&R.

This was late 1980s/early 1990s. I can't find my notes from back that far. Sorry I can't remember more.

Boolit Bub
    Thanx Blues Bear.....will look for some post its and see if its easier to assemble than my loads useing " labels and tape" ..... always looking to do more xperimentin !

Just remember it's Post-It Tape and not Post-It Notes.
    To me at least Post-It Tape is just a little stickier than the notes.
    Plus the entire back of the tape is adhesive so there's no waste.

Boolit Master

Well, I had to try this. All I can say is WOW! Greatly improved accuracy in my 41mag. Now the bullets I used already had beeswax/oil lube on them from pan lubing which I melted off by re-heating the bullets in my double boiler. They still had a slick feel to them and actually seemed to help stick the teflon tape to the boolit while rolling it.
    I shot two cylinders worth of very carefully measured lengths of teflon on each bullet and they shot similar groups to my J-bullets. I then shot 2 cylinder worth of purposely mis-matched lengths on each bullet. These shot just as good.
    It is a little labor intensive but the results are worth it. I'm sure I can work up some kind of jig to make the process quicker.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by **oneshot** View Post
    Well, I had to try this. All I can say is WOW! Greatly improved accuracy in my 41mag. Now the bullets I used already had beeswax/oil lube on them from pan lubing which I melted off by re-heating the bullets in my double boiler. They still had a slick feel to them and actually seemed to help stick the teflon tape to the boolit while rolling it.
    I shot two cylinders worth of very carefully measured lengths of teflon on each bullet and they shot similar groups to my J-bullets. I then shot 2 cylinder worth of purposely mis-matched lengths on each bullet. These shot just as good.
    It is a little labor intensive but the results are worth it. I'm sure I can work up some kind of jig to make the process quicker.
    Isn,t this fun? I cann't imagin going back to jacketed bullets it is so boring.

Boolit Bub

Oneshot

I'm glad you had success with your .41 revolver...your tests support my findings that the exact length of tape is not critical to accuracy/non leading so no time needs to be wasted in measuring it.

If you try useing the roll of tape on the heavy weight scotchtape dispenser I think this will ease and speed up your wrapping process....that way you are rolling the boolit onto the tape and then cutting the tape instead of trying to roll cut tape onto the boolit which doesn't work well as the tape wants to twist and fold in half.

When I first tried tapeing I never had any unlubed boolits and taped lubed ones...this proved to be inaccurate...so I put a bunch into an empty coffee can with water and boiled them until the lube floated to the top. I then shot them taped and
    never used any other form of lube since. Boolits that come out "frosty" were a bit easier to tape and unsized vs. sized were also easier to tape as the unsized had rougher surfaces and had no differences in accuracy.

If you think .41 's are tricky.. I got a new mold and just wrapped 100 Little Lee .30 soup cans to see if this boolit will work in my .30 cals..

regards, Max..

I bought some teflon tape yesterday. I just need to find my tape dispenser. It's still lost in the unpackedfromthemove stuff.

I'm thinking of having the tape unroll from the bottom so it comes out sticky side up.
    Just lay the boolit on the tape and roll.

I can't wait to try this on the group buy .44 double end wadcutter.

Guys please keep reporting your results. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm really excited. The idea started in the eighties (no internet), but fizzled for some reason. I've been aware of teflon tape for that long, but this is the first real information I've seen on it. I'm working on a bunch of milder loads with gas checked softer lead (with tin) boolits with hollow points, and teflon tape may be the final solution (bad choice of words?) to getting reasonably fast loads with good accuracy. The concept is that an expanding boolit with a good ballistic coefficient may do as much or more damage even at goodly ranges than the hard rock wadcutters do at light speed. HRWALS poke holes in game and go on to kill innocent scenery with most of their energy, besides which they range abominably. How does a hollow point 300 grainer @ 1300 fps in a .454 sound? (think of the 330 grain Barlow/ Gould hollow point Lyman 457133) I'm actually in a position to try some of these with tape real soon. I'll post my results and maybe find a way to test expansion (at say 100 yds?).