MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision

Thread: Mold recommendation for 45-70 hunting GC bullet for 1895

Boolit Bub

Mold recommendation for 45-70 hunting GC bullet for 1895

I have an 1895 45-70 that im looking to cast GC hunting bullets for. Its a microgroove 22" barrel so im needing a bullet about .460. Looking for weight between 300 and 400 gn. Will be for whitetail, black bear and feral pig.....

Thanks

Boolit Master

RCBS 45-405 Shoots extremely well in all of my 45-70's and has killed many deer.

Larry

Boolit Master
    +1 to largom's comments

I'd also highly recommend Accurate Molds No. 46-350B mold. Casts beautifully, shoots extremely well in a 1895 Guide Gun as well as a Miroku / Browning 1886. I absolutely LOVE this mold from Tom @ Accurate!
    Bob

You should also check out http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/ for his molds. He posted some pretty impressive ballistics on them in his Rossi Forum a while back. If I had a place to cast my own I would sure buy them as one to use. Oh and I'm not affiliated other than someone that recently started following his forum and buying one item from his site a while back.
    Last edited by joec; 08-22-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have shot deer with then425 and 350 RD and also the NOE version of the 350 RD in a hollowpoint. All ware good choices.
    I have shot 2 bears with a Lee GB 460420 and it is now my preferred bullet in 45-70.

My Marlin shoots them all quite well, hard to say which is "best". I don't on a 405 RCBS mould so I have no experience with that one.

Boolit Buddy
    The RCBS 45 405 is a good choice. Accurate molds has a 46 405R. A copy of the RCBS but with a .33 meplat.

Boolit Master
    Try the Gould boolit, Lyman 457122.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

RCBS 405, Lyman"Gould", Ranchdog 350. In that order. If Ranchdog had his with regular grease grooves, I would rate it at the top for your purpose. If you want to get by as economically as possible, and don't already have a lube sizer, Ranchdog is the way to go with the tumble lube. I am sure you could pan lube his boolits if you wanted. I'm not a big fan of Tumble lube in rifles.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

I had Tom at Accurate make me a 3 cavity mold, 2 cavitys are 350gr gc and the 3rd cavity is 405gr gc. It cast at a size of 459.5 with WW. That is the diameter I chose. I own 2 of Tom's molds and are easy to cast with.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had excellent results from the RCBS 405 GC in my Marlin GG at ~1750 fps.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just got this one from Tom http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-360C-D.png,
    I also have a 405 from NOE,a Hoch 465 gr and have some 525gr boolits from cast performance and a assorted amount of jacketed bullets from Rem,and Hornady
    take a look at all the manufactures and see what fits your needs and budget and most of them either will make one to fit your needs or have one already on the shelf
    best of luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I use an Old West 350gr, GC bullet mould with 8 parts of ww/ 2 parts of lead and 1 lb of 50/50 solder. It is VERY ACCURATE. The only game I shot with it was a large Black Bear in Quebec. It fell like it was pole axed. Insurance shot also went clean through.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Master

Which bullet for 45-70 1895?

I'll throw my .02 worth in. My vote is for the Ranch Dog 460-350-RF. It will fit the bill nicely. Plus its readily available in a 6 cavity configuration.

For some reason, many are scared of "tumble lubing". Personally, I don't have any problems with this procedure, specially in the RD 460-350-RF bullet.

Michael [Ranch Dog] has 3 molds for the 45-70 to suit every need. 300/350/425 grain configurations. I settled on the 350 grain for deer and hogs cast out of straight wheelweights. I'm loading 42.6grains of Reloader 7 for an est velocity of 1800'/". I'm contemplating buying his new 300 grain mold in 460 for a little versatility.

Good Luck,

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.