Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 .30-30

Boolit Man

Marlin 336 .30-30

So I was out shooting my 1952 vintage Marlin 336SC .30-30 with a GC Lyman 31141 and it was putting every round right where I wanted them. So I got to thinking...this .30-30 round could really catch on and become widely popular. What do you think?
    Chuck

Any problem can be solved with the correct application of explosives.

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomberman View Post
    So I was out shooting my 1952 vintage Marlin 336SC .30-30 with a GC Lyman 31141 and it was putting every round right where I wanted them. So I got to thinking...this .30-30 round could really catch on and become widely popular. What do you think?
    Nah...

That cartridge is a flash in the pan...

Nothing will ever come of it...

In fact, not long ago I read that the trente-trente was obsolete when it was first released...

Boolit Mold
    Who in the world would want a reasonably powerful, accurate, light weight short rifle that is so easy to carry and shoot anyway?

All the gun rags say the 30-30 wont kill even a jackrabbit! Why would anyone want one?
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    True, plus if you are not shooting flex tip bullets the effective range ends at the muzzle.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

you gotta have some high falutin special powder too.
    nobody want's a rifle that just barely kills stuff to ranges you can hit them without a scope.
    i mean really,,, just barely dead,,,, come on....

Boolit Grand Master
    Keep casting - keep shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of us don't realize that, when the 30-30 came out it's competition was the 45-70. The 45-90 was the Express cartridge of the time.

The 30-30 represented a greater advancement in ballistic functioning than we have seen since. No, not the 7mm Mag, or the other wonderful, great ballyhooed advancements of a few hundred fps or an inch or so at 300 yds.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Very true. I would even go so far as to say the .30 WCF was even technologically ahead of the rifles that chambered it, which were and are essentially stronger redesigns of previous black powder repeaters. As much as I like my tube feeders I think that something akin to the Winchester 95 would've been a better rifle with which to introduce the cartridge.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I keep hoping the cartridge will catch on. I've set back five rifles in the chambering hoping brass and bullets will become commonplace....

Out Practicing
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    ― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

I think I read somewhere where that 30-30 round, and those leverguns, are not accurate and the bullets bounce off just about every game animal out there except field mice. It'll never catch on--especially when used with that Remington Core-loct ammo. After all, that particular ammo doesn't have a flexible plastic tip, so how can anyone expect to kill anything at all with it? And those cast boolits??? Well, what can anyone say?? LOL!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    The thing lacks velocity, won't even come close to 3000 fps,much less 3,200. At a half mile or more, it won't shoot through a moose lengthwise. I have read that it is rarely capable of shooting under 2 inches at a hundred yards.
    It's a darn good thing deer can't read, or nobody ever be able to kill one with a thutty-thutty.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Bought a Marlin 336 in 30-30 today. $240, like new made in '81.

Old and obsolete, but I might be able to find some brass so I can shoot it. Probably be expensive, but thats life.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Bought a Marlin 336 in 30-30 today. $240, like new made in '81.

Old and obsolete, but I might be able to find some brass so I can shoot it. Probably be expensive, but thats life.
    Ha Ha! You lose!

Truth be known, I am jealous of your fantastic deal on a great hunting rifle. Anyone who says bad things about the combination probably has never hunted with it. Myself, I seem to somehow kill deer with a 400 grain chunk of pure lead and 80 grains of black powder poured directly down the barrel of my muzzleloader. I have heard other hunters laugh out loud at my setup and tell me they can throw a bullet farther and faster. I am thinking I must have scared those deer to death............Better put something heavy on the freezer lid so they don't run off!

Boolit Master
    You could always rebore/rechamber to .375.

Silly Caster, Tirty-Tirty's Are For Kids
    ...I GOT ONE FOR YA...

Quote Originally Posted by 12DMAX View Post
    Silly Caster, Tirty-Tirty's Are For Kids
    Well, you can just call me junior then. I had my fling with high velocity, including a 300RUM. But since the longest shot I have ever taken on a GAME critter was just shy of 225yds, I decided I was just wasting powder. The 30-06 is fine for big game, as is my 45-70. For mid sized game the 30-30 gets the job done.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

I load up 150gr Lee cast boolits with 8.5gr of Unique for a plinking load for the kids, like shooting a .22

Acording to "Cartridges of the World" about every caliber is better than the 30-30. my daughter never read the book and killed her first 5 deer with one. I also somehow managed to kill a couple of deer with mine. One did run a little ways, but was not hard to find. Kind of handy on the 4-wheeler and I even head shot a couple of grouse with one. Got by with one worthless as it was. Switched to the far more powerful 35 Remington (30 grains more lead, .05 inch greater bore diameter so one can see the tremendous difference) as it was made about the same time I was.

DP

Boolit Master
    You guys don't get it, all of today's animals require at least a flex tip bullet or a TTSX, or they laugh at you.