Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Young folks don't know who Howdy Doody and....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    If you don't see it, then you don't see it. Good luck with the brave new world ignorance has thrust upon us.
    Watch Jimmy Cagney as George M. Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy (released in 1942). There's a scene near the end when a carload of young people stop in front of his house and have never heard of him or his songs.

Your complaint about youth is not new, and even though you may have forgotten, you and your generation were once the subject of such complaints by your parents and grand-parents generations. Of course their generation was called "une génération perdue" by the one before them.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

Don't forget Straight Arrow. I've still got a big stack of "Inginuities"sp from the Shredded Wheat boxes. Thanks for the Summerfallwinterspring correction. I'd like to see a picture of her. Hope it's as good as I remember.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy Doody was a little before my time, not by much, and I don't know if they carried him in San Antonio. I do remember watching Captain Kangroo before going to school. I had to leave before the show ended. I seem to remember seeing Bill Cosby on the show. This was way before "I Spy". I saw him on TV some time later and the act tripped a memory. Can anybody here tell me was I right or crazy? Thanks Guys. AggieEE

Boolit Master

Its all relative! Howdy Doody was before my time, although I have watched a couple of the shows. I'm in my 40's, and there are lots of kids these days that are calling the big hair rock bands like KISS, Boston, Journey, etc. "oldies"! That makes ME feel old.

As for the gun-makers, I'd have to add Eugene Stoner to the mix. Maybe not as notable as Browning or Thompson, but still a major contributor to modern firearm design. I guess we should include Colt, Smith and Wesson also.
    Jon

Some things never change..
    “Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
    Socrates, Greek Philosopher, 470-399 B.C.E
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Don't forget Straight Arrow. I've still got a big stack of "Inginuities"sp from the Shredded Wheat boxes. Thanks for the Summerfallwinterspring correction. I'd like to see a picture of her. Hope it's as good as I remember.

Bob
    I did a google search for images and one picture of her came up, There was also pictures of Clarabell, Buffalo Bob w/Howdy, Bob Keeshen as Capt. Kangaroo. Didn't look through everything so there may have been more.

Anybody from the D. C. area remember Pick Temple or Capt. Tug?

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    Some things never change..
    “Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
    Socrates, Greek Philosopher, 470-399 B.C.E
    I guess all you have to do is replace Chatter with Text.

... never did get Mr Ed's last name....

he always had a long face though.....
    May we achieve our aims....

Seeing as we were just talking about her in this thread, Phyllis Diller died this morning (Monday) at age 95.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    The only one that i knew was Lash Larue,His watermelon patch was pretty nice but, Vicki his daughter was a real sweetheart...

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Sasquatch-1
    I have Pick Temples autograph. So if you are from DC back then you'll remember Sam and Friends which is where Jim Henson got started.

How about Mork and Mindy.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    I am in my mid 50's, no Howdy Doody memories .

You guys must be older than dirt

Captain Kangaroo before school

The Uncle Bob show after school, Ch 9 KGUN Tucson

The Mormon gun wizard ranks pretty high with me.

Good luck

Bob Keeshen as Capt. Kangaroo was a decorated war hero; I believe? Correct me please if I'm in error again.

Ramar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Sasquatch-1
    I have Pick Temples autograph. So if you are from DC back then you'll remember Sam and Friends which is where Jim Henson got started.

How about Mork and Mindy.
    Never saw Sam & Friends, Don't know why. Jim Henson did Attend the same High School as I did, but that was before my time At Northwestern. Didn't Henson do something on WRC radio with the Joy Boys for a while?

I actually was on the Pick Temple show once (unfortunately, they had a substitue host) and Watch Capt. Tug in the afternoon religously. Had to get my Popeye fix.

You guys must be older than dirt
    Yup, and enjoying every minute of it! It wasn't just the characters, but TV. And the moral character of them. My GCs want to watch DVD of the Lone Ranger when they come to visit. Dad's generation went from horse and buggy to real space exploration. Cars, radio, TV, microwave, computers, man on the moon ... I missed out on the horses, and got OBummer instead. That may be all the next generation gets.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Yup, and enjoying every minute of it! It wasn't just the characters, but TV. And the moral character of them. My GCs want to watch DVD of the Lone Ranger when they come to visit. Dad's generation went from horse and buggy to real space exploration. Cars, radio, TV, microwave, computers, man on the moon ... I missed out on the horses, and got OBummer instead. That may be all the next generation gets.
    Growing up in the D. C. Area I missed the horse and buggy thing, although I vaguely remember seeing a horsecart every once in a while. I can still remember steam locamotives being used quite a bit, although deisel were really starting to send them to the scrap yards. And you're right about TV. Heck a husband and wife couldn't even sleep in the same bed on TV. Most shows wouldn't even show anything but twin beds.

Never knew anyone that had a real ICE box, though the iceman wasn't extinct. What about the guy who pushed a cart through the neighborhood selling fruits and vegitables and chanting a little verse about his wares?

My Dad used to call me Howdy Doody...wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    My Dad used to call me Howdy Doody...wonder why?
    Sorry, Your ears didn't stick out far enough and the freckles are not promenant enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Sorry, Your ears didn't stick out far enough and the freckles are not promenant enough.

Maybe he called me "Opie"...it's been a very long time ago

Boolit Master
    I am old and I remember Howdy Doodie talking to the kids that actually had a TV (which wasn't many) so i spent all my time playing football, track, and baseball, wasn't allowed to play basketball( the coach said I was to physical) and wrestling. I had a deprived childhood with no TV I was a senior in high school before we got a tv and just didn't care about it anymore. I had hot cars, hunting, and girls to keep me busy.
    Frank G.