Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sight angles

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post

This image comes straight from the C. Sharps website.
    As you look on the base of each of those sights (except the Lyman #2 style), you can see the head of a screw that (presumably) anchors the staff spring.
    It is not one of the two (unseen) mounting screws, so it can only be the spring anchor.

Does your C. Sharps sight not have the third screw in the base?

If you DO have the third screw, does it not allow adjustment of the spring position?

CM

yes that IS the sight. and YES it does have the third screw on the base....BUT no it does not adjust...the hole needs to be elongated and the spring is in a detent on the base so the movement will be neglible.

Boolit Master
    Big Ted, take this with a grain of salt and some humor, but when someone says, manly man, dont need to read no stinking directions? Then drills out a prefectly good eyecup.

Two words and only two come to mind.

Dumb ***

The Lunger
    KW

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    yes that IS the sight. and YES it does have the third screw on the base....BUT no it does not adjust...the hole needs to be elongated and the spring is in a detent on the base so the movement will be neglible.
    Well, that tells me that I can't be of any help.

What McDowell was telling you about filing on the notch is probably the only kind of advice that will get your angle fixed.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    You might want to give the guys at CSA a call. Maybe they can help you out. I've got their sights on 4 or 5 rifles and they are all quite good. I don't like them quite as much as the MVA sights, but certainly more than the "good" Shaver sights and the ones that came on the Brownings.

Chris.

i took the c-sharps sight and removed the spring. then with my dremel i elongated the hole so the mounting screw would move back n forth about 1/8th inch total...then ground some off the end that nestles in the mortice that houses the flat spring...now i can adjust the spring enough to get it straight.

Kenny...yup im that and more...if i could drill it out more i would. the marbles tang mounted sights i have are just rite for me with the incert removed and this leaves a peep that meassures around .155 inch inside diameter. this allows me to see thru it and focus on my front blade in better shape...my eyes are really shot...pun intended.

works fine for informal plinking but to get a score of any kind i need glass on my rifles....ho hum

Boolit Master
    Get an adustable eye cup. Try that first,

If you go glass spend the money ONCE and buy the Best you will not be unhappy that you did. MVA Scope I have 4 of them

KW
    The Lunger

I can understand where Ted is coming from with the small hole in the eye cup.
    With the dark floater I have I cannot use the eye cup that comes with the MVA sight unless the light is bright. I also have drilled out the eye cup so I can see the front sight clear on a overcast day.
    I have the Hadley on four of my MVA sights on the rifles I use for the long range shoots but on one of my sights when the light conditions change and I move to a larger hole I noticed a very pronounced change on the bullet impact on the 900 yard target I was on, well I shrugged it off thinking it was because of a condition change or the light change and made a sight correction. A few days later I was shooting at 200 yds here at home and I switched the aperture and it moved the impact. This is something I just noticed on one of the Hadleys and not the others I use but it is enough to put a doubt in my mind for using them.

In Remembrance
    It has been my understanding that many makers of the tall tang sights purposely provide an eyepiece with a 'small' aperture when only one eyepiece is included in the package. It will often run down in the 'forty thousandths' diameter range, and the maker EXPECTS the customer to drill it out to suit himself.

Does anybody know the diameter of the standard aperture supplied with the MVA #100 or #107?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post

works fine for informal plinking but to get a score of any kind i need glass on my rifles....ho hum
    Try shooting with a cheap pair of Number 1.0 reading glasses. If it helps, but seems like a little too much, talk to you eye doc it.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    It has been my understanding that many makers of the tall tang sights purposely provide an eyepiece with a 'small' aperture when only one eyepiece is included in the package. It will often run down in the 'forty thousandths' diameter range, and the maker EXPECTS the customer to drill it out to suit himself.

CM

Eye cups are cheap.
    Problems is,, a good set of all of the number drills is not.
    I do not advise doing it if you do not have a number drill set.
    I find that I need bigger holes and often drill out my eye cups. Especially on my closer range lever guns.
    I drill the little eyepieces first and when I like my work, drill the large diameter cup (if I have one,) a little bit smaller.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    this isnt the first time ive had to drill a peep out to see thru it.
    Ted, this statement says that it is not the first time you mounted a vernier. I have close to 20 verniers of various makes on my rifles and have never had to drill out any of the holes in the oculars to have a clear picture of the front sight. Leads me to believe your mounting steps have not been the same that I have done ... so,
    Would you mind posting the steps that you perform:
    * mounting a vernier
    * including the use of bubble levels and shims
    Regards
    John

John you must still have good vision

I have an old Mossberg US 44 that has a "peep" sight and switchable front sight posts. It used to be great for me to see the posts no matter how fine the post I selected. It was a while I shot this rifle and 4-5 years ago I pulled it off the wall to shoot it and shouldering it to shoot I saw just a eye cup in front of me I saw no light looking through the cup so I blew through to clear out the dust but I still saw no light looking through it but there was a hole.
    When floaters and cataract form one must use a larger aperture of make up their minds and mount a scope if they want to shoot.
    Using a scope will be the last thing for me to turn to shooting a Sharps.

Lead pot - I used to sight with both eyes open until the cataract started developing in the left eye. Now, right eye only with a squirt of Visine. On cloudy days though, need a Hadley Cup. Anymore, pushing 70 is no fun getting a good POA on long range bull eyes but no drilling the ocular holes... Yet!
    Coincidentally, had an eye exam today to check on the cataract - an operation is getting closer

re scopes: Put a Fecker on the 32-40 CPA and the 9.5x46R Martini Schuetzen has a detachable Hi-Lux long eye relief one too
    Last edited by John Boy; 08-14-2012 at 12:12 AM.
    Regards
    John

I shoot with both eyes open. Always have.
    The golden years are fun ain't they ?? cant see, cant hear, cant walk and cant breath but it's still fun

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I shoot with both eyes open. Always have.
    The golden years are fun ain't they ?? cant see, cant hear, cant walk and cant breath but it's still fun

We are still kickin,,,,
    Just not as high.

I can still get my foot higher then my head when I kick but I'm usually laying on the ground on my back when I do this.

I can still get my foot higher then my head when I kick...but I'm usually laying on the ground on my back when I do this.
    Lead pot - it's easier when your laying on your stomach!
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Ted, this statement says that it is not the first time you mounted a vernier. I have close to 20 verniers of various makes on my rifles and have never had to drill out any of the holes in the oculars to have a clear picture of the front sight. Leads me to believe your mounting steps have not been the same that I have done ... so,
    Would you mind posting the steps that you perform:
    * mounting a vernier
    * including the use of bubble levels and shims

well lets see...i didnt say i had mounted and shot lots of vernier sights....i did say i mounted lots of peeps and shot them and invariably found that the eye incert removed helped me see the front sight and what i wanted to hit. peep sights like the lyman charlie shows and marples that look like that also...williams reciever sights and lyman reciever sights...all peeps and all doing better for me with the incert removed.

my problem is not that i cant see well with my right eye...it is a problem becouse i have an irepairable healed tear in my retina and the floater is the scar tissue in there. when it riped i was for all intents blind in that right eye...not a fun experience. the scopes do well for me in short spurts as even with them the more i concentrate thru them the worse the 'floater' is.

as for mounting the new verniers...both are short range sights and i plumbed them with the action/barrel level and then installed the mva and the c-sharps and lucked out both times as they mounted plumb with everything with no need to file nor shim. the angle i refer to is the back and forth angle where there is a spring detent for the staff to "lock" in place for the shot....seems like i have....with help here....figured out how to plumb these for the back n forth issue.

ive got a request for info to mva for ALL their scopes and mounts. so will see...haa ...what turns up.

Boolit Master
    Ted you'd like the MVA scopes I think. I've got a 23" scope mounted on a CSA 1874 and it's really nice to use. I've also got the new B5 mounted on my CPA Stevens. The mounts are really nice to use. I've got the centerless mil dot cross hairs on both. The next Shiloh is going to be set up for the 23" MVA scope.

Chris.