Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk 44 special

I am shooting .430s out of 2 consecutive numbered lipsey stainless vaqueros.
    they shoot sized down .432 mihec kieth boolits to poa stock and low with the 200 grain lee. Both with nice groups

Boolit Grand Master
    FWIW, mine has cylinder throats ranging from .4319 to .4325 with a .430 bore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009.jpg  
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

My blued 44Spl flat top cylinder throats all measure .432 with my pin gauges. Perfect, since my three moulds drop at .434.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I'm gonna get me one. Yes, I have Smith 629 if I want the magnum power level, but honestly I don't need nor want the recoil or noise. I only load for the special not the magnum. I would REALLY like to have one in stainless, but I haven't had any luck finding one in my area.

Boolit Grand Master
    mine mike out @ .431 use of a Starret dial caliper
    size my boolit .431 and there is just a slight resistance when pushed through the cylinder's
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

I bought one not too long ago and love it.

It's a real shooter too. Ruger has finally started listening to their customers and began correcting mistakes and improving overall quality. I want a Bisley 44 Special and will buy one when/if I find it locally.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master
    I have a love affair with the Ruger Bisleys. What a comfortable, easy to handle grip size and shape. I also have lusted after 44 Specials for years. SO, when Lipsey's specials were announced, I ran out and ordered a 4 5/8 and 5 1/2. I should have waited a bit until the Lipsey Bisley models arrived. I love the guns, but was dissapointed that the frame and cyl were only slightly smaller than a std Blackhawk but also that the grip was too small for my hand. I hate having my pinkey finger curled up under the grip.
    I recently bought a pair of extension grips from Tim Perkes which add on 1/2" below the frame and wow what a transformation. I had them made from American Holly and finished with clear Tung oil, they look just like Ivory! Of course, my wife thought they were plastic! Tim Perks can be reached at
    timperkes2@gmail.com
    I also looked into converting them to Bisley grips and found out the Bisley Blackhawk grips and frames bolt right on these "smaller" frames. The conversion also gets rid of the lock. But it would be cheaper for me to sell these at half price and buy 2 new Lipsey Bisley models, so I'll keep them as they are. Much improved by the Tim Perkes grips (stocks?)
    Oh, favorite load; either the RCBS 250KT or 250K from an alloy of 8ww to 2 pure lead + 2% tin over 11gr of AA#7.
    Last edited by Irascible; 08-09-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Master
    IF I didn't have a bunch of 44 MAGNUM SUPER BLACK HAWKS and Original Size VAQUEROS (and their BISLEY siblings) in the safe PLUS holsters, etc, I'd be looking at the 44 Specials. Most of us who shoot 44s on a regular basis don't load super hot any way.

The XR3-red grip frame doesn't work for me. All guns have HUNTER/DRAGOON grip frames or are BISLEYS.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I bought one
    like it alot it is sitting rite next to me now
    my most accurate boolit so far is a 265 gr MP 44/640
    keep it at sane levels and use the heavy stuff in the 44 mag which happens to be a
    sbh Bisley with a 5.5" barrel w/swindler grips
    mine is fairly accurate as well
    was hitting a 12" saw blade @ 100 yds fairly consistently today
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I've got enough .44 mags but if Ruger ever makes one of these in .44 Special I'll have to get one:

Vendor Sponsor

Mine is a Bisley model and I bought one as soon as I found out they existed! It is the companion to my SBH Bisley, but it handles nicer and has a better feel to it. It fits the same Mernickle Holster perfectly and will probably get carried more than the SBH Bisley.

It will be getting the same treatment as my SBH with a Weigand front sight and a Bowen rear sight which gives you the option of changing the front blade for a different height blade to compensate for different loads.

Just dive in you won't be disappointed, we all will guarantee that!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-28-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com