RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buying Hunting Land in Texas

Boolit Bub
    Char-gar my ancestors may have been in the same wagon train as yours. They came to the Liberty Hill area just before the War of Northern Aggression and stayed, owned saloons and hotels in Austin before the turn of the century (the last one), but didn't leave me any hunting land except for a piece in Sierra Blanca.

As you said, Texans never expected the government to give us a place to hunt. For many years I leased land west of Blanco year-round and had some great times. Recently we moved over to New Mexico, and dang, there's tons of public land over here. I have thousands of acres of NF behind my place, and BLM land just down the road where I can drive my Jeep wherever I want, hike wherever I want, and shoot anything I want. Life is good.

Boolit Master
    Gentleman,

First, I want to thank you for all your responses and advice. Like most, maybe more than most, I've made some mighty stupid mistakes in my life. Ignoring the advice from people who have "been there and done that" is not one of them. I learned early on that the easiest way to learn was to learn from other people's experience (and mistakes).
    This request for your insight and information from you Texans and Texas residents has to be my greatest source of real-world, usable information. The information in books and literature can't be ignored, but often leaves things out that are not of a statistical or quantitative nature. Those facts, figures, and statistics are not always applicable to the actual experience.

When I mentioned a public range, I misspoke myself. I meant a range open to the public; be it a privately owned or operated range that, for a fee, allows the public to shoot, or offers a membership deal.

No public hunting land, is not something that would sour my wish to become a resident of Texas. As far as fishing, the Mrs. & I are planning on travelling 2 to 5 months out of the year. We have a favorite camping spot on a lake in the western Sierra, and I have a grown son living in Missouri.

No open carry? Not a problem, the only time I've ever carried openly is while in uniform. Even then, aside from the one you could see, there was always another that you couldn't.

Texas has many draws for me and the Mrs. Fewer bleeding heart liberals, fewer laws designed to make your decisions for you and control how you live (gun laws for one), more favorable cost of living, more folks who share our opinions and outlook e.g., you are entitled to your God given rights and those granted you by the Constitution. You are not entitled to something that you didn't earn. Like social services like food stamps, welfare, education, and medical that you haven't been paying into for years and years, or have never paid into.

There are lots of things that Texas has that go on the con side of the list; tornadoes, hurricanes (mentioned by geargnasher), heat, humidity, bugs, and so on.
    I think the pros that have been mentioned so far, outweigh the cons.
    Especially when you put the pro and con list of Texas next to a pro and con list of California.

One of the things that make Texas, Texas, and make it so appealing is the pride that Texans have in their State and in being Texans. That pride lends a quality to the culture, that is seen in few, if any other States.
    You could question a thousand people in SoCal and not find a single one that would boast of being proud to be a Californian. I suspect many would look at you like you like you had forgotten to take your meds.

The son of a gunsmith & saddle maker, very strict parents who taught common sense the old fashioned way. I never had to cut a switch, but mom was quick and sneaky and dad had a quick temper and hands like a vise.
    Although not lucky enough to be born a Texan, I think I might fit in pretty well.

geargnasher, the offer of coffee and some personalized advice is mighty kind of you. I look forward to that.

Please keep it coming guys, the more advice and knowledge the better. Especially about terrain and weather. I know both vary greatly from region to region.
    Knowing what you know, where would you settle if you could not be where you are now.

smokeywolf

Boolit Master

WELL!!
    If you just want to shoot, Amarillo has rifle ranges, pistol ranges, and shotgun ranges all with in 10 miles.
    Annual fee is about $100 and you can shoot as much as you want for FREE in rifle and pistol.
    Shotgun has skeet, trap, 5-stand and some sporting clays.

Most land in Texas is privately owned and hunting land can be difficult to find.

I am fortunate as I know lots of folks around here and can hunt most places at no charge.

What kind of hunting are you wanting to do?? I think you said casual deer and hog?

What kind of shooting?

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

I live a little ways (about 4-5 hours) N of Gearnasher and I'll make you the same offer. Anywhere within an hour of the DFW metromess, Houston or Austin will be a bit pricey but there are plenty of areas that still offer affordable land and hunting opportunities.
    I think you'll fit right in around here.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    WELL!!
    If you just want to shoot, Amarillo has rifle ranges, pistol ranges, and shotgun ranges all with in 10 miles.
    Annual fee is about $100 and you can shoot as much as you want for FREE in rifle and pistol.
    Shotgun has skeet, trap, 5-stand and some sporting clays.

Most land in Texas is privately owned and hunting land can be difficult to find.

I am fortunate as I know lots of folks around here and can hunt most places at no charge.

What kind of hunting are you wanting to do?? What kind of shooting?

Mike

You mean that range with a logging chain for a wind flag?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

If you can't stand the wind, get out of the Panhandle
    Yes, the chain is very helpful
    Mike

smokywolf..Sound like you will fit right in here in Texas. We have a few bleeding heart liberals, but they are hugged up in Austin and Dallas. Those would be the only places where they could extert any influence. We have our own home grown ones, but most have come from other places.

Fishing we have, be it lakes, bays or off shore. I don't fish, yet I live in on the South Texas Gulf coast where the fishing is first class. I have lived with hurricanes all of my life and have found myself in the eye of three of them and been brushed by several more. They are a real PITA, but I don't worry about them too much. Tornados are nasty indeed, and you don't know they are coming days in advance like a hurricane. I have only seen one up close and personal and don't care to do it again.

We have such diverse topography and country, that we can accomidate just about any kind of country you like. Just pick out what you like and come and visit. If you are in deep South Texas, I am good for a Mexican food lunch and all the free advise can stomach on any subject whatsoever.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Tejas

Sir...Texas is an awful big state. Mostly privately owned land....over 90%...however, there are several Public Hunting areas mostly in East Texas. I am in NE Texas and have always had a lease or hunted on a friend's place. Caddo Lake NWR at Karnack has an annual whitetail hunt that is by drawing only.....but you can bow hunt during bow season (month of October) without being drawn....just need to register at the headquarters. There are several very large tracks of National Forest and Corp areas to hunt on......land has a big swing in prices depending on the area of the state.....I own a place in Presidio County (near the border) that is Spainish Land Grant Property that has been in my family forever......only trouble is the mess on the border......I can't give it away but I wouldn't want to anyway.....I am a native Texan and would not live anywhere else in the world.....good luck and do your research well.....

rick

Boolit Master
    I'm learning!
    Wind in the Panhandle, ticks in East Texas. Might want to avoid the wind, definitely want to avoid the ticks. Don't want to be spending a half hour a day pulling ticks off the wolf.
    Besides that, I could decide at some point to get a horse or two. Back in the 1970s I used to babysit cows for the Newhall Land & Cattle Company and in the 1980s I worked (volunteered) part time for the National Park Service, training horses for them.

skeettx, just want to supplement the freezer. I have hunted with bow, even cotton tails.
    My little firearms collection is comprised of mostly old west pre 1930 stuff with a couple of pieces up to 1955. I never developed an interest in the black guns.

As far as range fees go, every time I take my 2 boys to the range here, I have to drive 40 minutes each way and it costs me a $40.00 range fee.

Not in a hurry to see my first hurricane or tornado, but I've gotten through 3 pretty good earthquakes here. I've been shot at, I've had horses buck me off, scrape me off, bite me, step on me, and fall on me. I reckon I'll cope with whatever Texas decides to throw my way.

The wife is starting to come around to my way of thinking and look at bigger pieces of ground. I have 2 properties here in SoCal, the one we live in and a rental. I'm going to sell the rental, buy my Texas property, then sell the one we live in and buy an income property in Texas. I need the income property to make up for my early, reduced pension.

With all these invites to lunch and coffee, I'm starting the think that if we can get settled on a little piece of Texas, depending on schedules and distances, we may have to see if we can organize a castboolits barbecue. I would love to smoke some pork and beef for ya'll (my mother was born and raised a southern girl) and get acquainted.

You keep talking, I'll keep listening and studying.

smokeywolf

Banned

Smokeywolf, I think you're discovering right here on this thread the reason why none of use here worry too much about the "public land" thing. It's called "Texas Friendly", you may have heard of it. You'll get sized up very quickly by anyone you meet, and anyone with a general philosophy such as yours will find themselves welcomed in lots of ways other places don't. The liberals either get eaten by something (wildlife or weather), shot, or herded to Austin very quickly.

I only have 20 acres myself which I occasionally hunt, but mostly maintain as a "refuge" for wildlife driven here by surrounding development. I have a few good friends that let me hunt on occasion or shoot on their property, it's all a matter of who you know and what you stand for. Texas is still a "frontier state" in many places due to the remoteness and desolation, you have to be tough to live here outside of the cities and people not in touch with reality and common sense don't stay long. We have our own power grid as a state, and lots of natural resources though and the way things are going we might all end up renouncing our US citizenship, it isn't like we NEED the Federal Government here. We've stood on our own before, and might do it again when we've had enough. You might as well join us now.

One thing that's really popular here that you may not have considered is cowboy-action shooting. The SASS is big across the state with all sorts of private facilities dedicated to the sport, it's lots of fun and is VERY family-oriented, even for the ladies who don't care to participate in the shooting. Everyone has a big time dressing up and getting together.

Anyway, the offer's still open if you ever come through this way (Kerrville), seeing for yourself and spending some time with a few natives will tell you what you need to know.

Gear

Boolit Master
    geargnasher, Your mention of Texas being willing and able to stand on it's own, is one of the factors that I considered early on. This country is circling the drain. My wife is nearly 20 years younger than myself, so I have to consider not only the best place to spend the remainder of my years, but also where she, our children, their children, and so on, would stand the best chance at a safe and comfortable future.

Am I correct in interpreting "Texas Friendly" as meaning neighbors "doin" for one another and looking out for each other? Just as that was crucial for survival 150 years ago, I have a feeling that concept may again become crucial to survival in the not so distant future.

CAS is a young man's sport. I'm too old and shaky now to make any kind of showing.
    About a year and half ago I sold my original Volcanic Carbine to one of the world record cowboy action shooters. He also suggested I get into it or at least get my boys into it; I still may do that.
    Back when my father was doing leather work, he used to make steel or aluminum-lined quick-draw holsters for some of the Hollywood celebs. I don't remember all the names, but I think he did holsters for Kirk Douglas, Sammy Davis, a stunt man named Ray Rose, and a few others. Slim Pickens was a regular visitor to our house. Quick-draw holsters had to be steel or aluminum lined so that if a 5-in-1 blank went off before the barrel cleared the holster you wouldn't end up with a massive powder burn on your leg.
    I only have one Colt SAA, and although its one of my favorite shooters, its too old and in to good of shape to risk in the CAS sport. I'd have to see if I could get a replica.

smokeywolf

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    You mean that range with a logging chain for a wind flag?
    Hey I help run that range! The chain does double duty- we use it to lock the front gate too!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    geargnasher, Your mention of Texas being willing and able to stand on it's own, is one of the factors that I considered early on. This country is circling the drain. My wife is nearly 20 years younger than myself, so I have to consider not only the best place to spend the remainder of my years, but also where she, our children, their children, and so on, would stand the best chance at a safe and comfortable future.

Am I correct in interpreting "Texas Friendly" as meaning neighbors "doin" for one another and looking out for each other? Just as that was crucial for survival 150 years ago, I have a feeling that concept may again become crucial to survival in the not so distant future.

CAS is a young man's sport. I'm too old and shaky now to make any kind of showing.
    About a year and half ago I sold my original Volcanic Carbine to one of the world record cowboy action shooters. He also suggested I get into it or at least get my boys into it; I still may do that.
    Back when my father was doing leather work, he used to make steel or aluminum-lined quick-draw holsters for some of the Hollywood celebs. I don't remember all the names, but I think he did holsters for Kirk Douglas, Sammy Davis, a stunt man named Ray Rose, and a few others. Slim Pickens was a regular visitor to our house. Quick-draw holsters had to be steel or aluminum lined so that if a 5-in-1 blank went off before the barrel cleared the holster you wouldn't end up with a massive powder burn on your leg.
    I only have one Colt SAA, and although its one of my favorite shooters, its too old and in to good of shape to risk in the CAS sport. I'd have to see if I could get a replica.

smokeywolf
    Based on what you have said you'll be fine in Texas. If you end up on I40 during your move, let me know, I'm good for a beer and dinner. If you end up in the Panhandle I might know where there is a pig or two that needs shooting.

Texas culture is different because we have a unique history. We fought our own war of independence against Mexico and established our own country (The Republic of Texas). While most of our ancestors came from the United States at one time or another, we tend to view Texas history as our history. A very distinct culture evolved that blends southern US, Mexico and even a little German thrown in. We are so big that not only do we have geographic and climatic differences, but regional shades of Texas culture as well. While different from other parts of the country, we are not monolithic in culture.

During the time I was living in Ecuador (South American), I was frequently asked where I was from. I would always answer "Tejas"/Texas. One day a fellow asked me if Texas was a part of the United States? I said yes, and asked why inquired. He said when he met other Americans, they always said they were from "The States", but when he met a Texan, they would always say they were from Texas, hence the question. Other folks did not say they were from Ohio, California, Florida or whatever. He didn't understand why Texans did not answer "The States" as did others. The answer got long and convoluted and lost him long before it was over.

Texans are good Americans, but we have a very strong identification with Texas history and culture. We intend to keep it that way! Yall come!

Home base for me is the borderland of deep South Texas, but I have lived for years in West Texas and the Panhandle as well.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    I love Texans: I hate Texas weather. It alternates between hot and muggy, to hotter than blazes...and muggy. In the summer. In the winter, It is real nice, except when it's cold and windy.
    But you meet more nice folks there in an hour than you do in a week here in California.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    To me Texas is more like a country than a state, I've always felt that way from living there back in the 60's. It has a bit of everything & that Texas pride is something to behold. I've even seen 1-2 nice looking Texas women! You can add the zero's!

Dick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I love Texans: I hate Texas weather. It alternates between hot and muggy, to hotter than blazes...and muggy. In the summer. In the winter, It is real nice, except when it's cold and windy.
    But you meet more nice folks there in an hour than you do in a week here in California.
    i am gonna have to agree with that.
    the folks here are real nice.
    as far as the climate?
    could this be right?
    according to my heat index calculator
    todays austin weather
    99f with 88% humidity = 166f

With a spirit in keeping with Davy Crockett and his band of Tennessee Volunteers who fought and died at the Alamo in Texas' fight for independance, you may wish to expand your search. No disrespect to any gracious Castboolits members from Texas, (I love the time I spend there and look forward to going back many times) but finding places to hunt and shoot for a newcomer can be tough. I picked settling in Middle Tennessee for many reasons: great hunting with hundreds of thousands of acres of public land; great medical facilities nearby; gun club dues of $60 per year for the family 20 minutes from the house; no state income tax; moderate to low property taxes; and land prices are moderate in the Nashville area and low an hour outside of the major metro area.

Like all big cities, the libs have taken over. It's all spending tax money and welfare. If you want to fish here, you'll need a boat, most lakes and riverfronts are private property. City politics are as bad as Ca. I agree with Jaybird62, Nashville suburbs aren't bad, close to the country and they have good fishing and hunting. Half the city folk in Texas are from someplace else.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    If you can't stand the wind, get out of the Panhandle
    Yes, the chain is very helpful
    Mike
    Right! I was at the range one day sighting in my rifle when a member (not a native) said you can't zero a rifle in this wind, well says I just when are you going to zero your rifle? the one or two days the wind doesn't blow!
    You can get some good land and houses in the eastern Panhandle or use to they are having a oil boom right now so that is not true any more. As far as hunting goes (I don't anymore) you can always walk the river as long as you stay off the ranchers land, lots of big deer and hogs. There is a walk in only BLM land on the river but archery only and no power or horses allowed. Lot of good deer and hogs in there but a pain to get to and game out. A deer wouldn't be much of a bargain if you have to carry him for two or three miles, and you can't leave anything in there.
    Frank G.