Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data

Thread: Show find-FEG.GKK.45

Show find-FEG.GKK.45

I bet it has been over 15 years since I have seen one of these for sale at a show or shop. I heard that 1994 was the last year of import. There were two at the Hickory show last weekend. The first one I spotted was well used, and the seller wanted $350. I kept wandering and spotted another at a private table that was still in the origonal case.

The seller said that he got it in trade and put one mag of ball ammo thru it and it ran fine. The pistol had been sitting in his safe for nearly 20 years. He wanted $250, and I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

I searched our site for info, and found a little on the FEG 9mm, and nothing on the 45. There are refrences on the web, and what I found was most favorable. One comment I found several times was 'ball ammo only'. When I got it home sunday evening, all the .45acp I had in stock were SWCs and TCs loaded for my 1911. Tried what I had, and they all hung on the integral feed ramp. Looking close at the ramp, it showed faint tool marks. Time for a polish job. I had felt bobs for the dremel and three grades of diamond compound that was gifted to me by a toolmaker buddy, so I went to work on the ramp. I about ten minutes the ramp was gleaming like a mirror. The SWCs I have are commercial Valiant brand 185s with the H&G 68 profile. I also have a bunch of the Lee button nose 200s loaded. The FEG is now eating those boolits like a little piggy. It still doesn't like the TC profile boolits, but I think that is an OAL issue that I can fix when I make some new 45 ammo. I shot some paper yesterday evening in bad light, and groups averaged around 4" standing at 30' with the 185s hitting low and the 200s about right. I blame some of the spread on the trigger, and some on my after work tiredness. I am going to put about 500 rounds thru this essentialy new pistol before doing a trigger job.
    My first impressions of the FEG-GKK are very favorable. Yes, the grips are sharp edged but I would call the blue 'very good' and quite dark. There are no tool marks on the exterior and the polish is 'good'. I think that after I smooth out the grips a little the feel in my large hands will be 'very good'. The trigger feels about like a NIB Makarov pistol. So it is a little rough but maybe a little less heavy. I expect no trouble smoothing this one out and lightning it up some. Overall, I am one very happy camper. Gee....a new 45acp that shoots good for under $300, whats not to like?
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Grand Master

Good find, don't recall ever seeing one. Looks like you've found a keeper for the price of a beater. Thanks for sharing.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    That's the price I paid for the 9x19 version ten years ago. I really should have kept that gun too considering how well it shot, but a friend needed it more than I did so it moved in with him. If yours shoots as well as my old one did, you will be an even happier camper with it once you get to about the 1K rd mark and it starts getting much smoother and quite a bit more accurate. To top it all off, mine always shot cast MUCH better than factory stuff.

Guys....Thanks for the words of encouragement. Lonegun: Obviously you know exactly what this pistol is, even if no one else does. I will post post some targets after finding a sweet load. I plan to cast up more 200s early Saturday morning. Got to start early as it is supposed to top 100deg here this weekend.....

I have a six plate rack target, and I was able to clear it in five seconds. Not great, but I was hitting the first plate with the DA pull every time.
    Last edited by DanM; 06-28-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."

Boolit Master

I owned a FEGP9K (the 9mm HP35 Browning Copy) for several years and I will tell you that the FEG company makes a damn fine pistol!
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I know what it is. I've had one of the 9×19mm Luger versions of the FEG for probably 25 years. Forget what I paid for it, but somewhere around $200-$225 sounds about right. It's a really nice piece that takes standard Browning Hi-Power mags and grips and what-not. Don't know about the internal parts, but I'd bet that most of them will interchange with a Hi-Power also.

I remember seeing the .45ACP versions back then (mid 80's), but never did latch onto one of them. Guess I should have, but ya know what they say about hind-sight.

Probably ought to break out the FEG and run some rounds through it. I know it's been ten years since it's seen the light of day.

Thanks for the reminder . . . Doug
    NRA Life Member

But the People, in their weeping, bare the iron hand.
    Beware the People weeping, when they bare the iron hand.
    . . . . "The Martyr", Herman Melville, 1865

Was able to put in some quality range time with the FEG over the holidays and it did very well with the Lee button nose 200s. I had to shorten them up and apply some taper crimp with the LFCD to get them to chamber and feed. My 1911 likes them long enough so that they usually won't fully chamber in other .45s, so this problem was not unexpected. There were no obvious pressure problems as my load is on the mild side to begin with. Groups were 3-4" at 30' standing. There was an unexpected problem. Occasionaly the front tip of the mag follower will ride up over the bottom of the feed ramp after the last round, effectivly locking the mag in place so it will not drop out. A finger thru the ejection port is nessicary to push the follower back for the mag to fall. These followers have that 'L' shaped bend to the front with the lower left edge acting on the slide stop. I think a touch with a file to tip of the follower will cure this little problem without causing other troubles. So far, so good, and I am still happy with my $250 45acp.

Boolit Master
    Hi Dan,
    You could call me the FEG fan boy! I'm surprised you saw two of those at the same show! They are hard to come by in my neck of the woods and never for the price you got. I've had several of the Hi-Power clones and see them as good as the browning.

Here is a pic of a FEG 9MM I put on some Novak sights, a Browning ambi safety and straightened the trigger along with a trigger job. All Browning parts fit this clone with very little fitting! Wish I had one of the 45's!!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

My BHP is a very early Belgian mark 1 that has Policia Buenos Aires 61 markings. It also wears Novak sights. IMHO, a good BHP puts all the 'wonder nines' to shame. Someday I will likely want similar sights on this GKK. I have a friend that is looking for a FEG-BHP clone.....DanM
    Last edited by DanM; 07-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Boolit Master

SARCO has a small lot of them (FEG 9mm BHP Copies) for sale presently. I put an order in for one on Tuesday and it should be here sometime next week from my local gun shop. This thread has renewed my interest in them again. I regretted that I ever let my first one go, so I'm hoping the next one is just as good.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club