Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick ONE.......

If you had to pick ONE.......

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he asked, "Saz, if you had to pick just ONE of YOUR pistols to keep and do everything with which would it be?" I actually started to panic a bit at the thought of having to choose! Then the brain kicked in and I started thinking that each one of my handguns has a purpose. Concealed carry, general woods carry, hunting specific etc........ In the end I am pretty sure it would be my 4 5/8" .44 mag SBH. With the correct load it will do it all, it is one of the first handguns I have ever owned and has about the most sentimental value of ANY other gun in the safe.

Anyone else been presented with this question? Thoughts?
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Love Life
    Fixed sight revolver in 357 magnum. Will cover 99.99% of any of my actual and perceived needs.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Fixed sight revolver in 357 magnum. Will cover 99.99% of any of my actual and perceived needs.
    Yup, probably does cover 99 % of my actual needs, but for my perceived needs, I'd have to also probably a pick a Ruger BH 44. I'd probably pick the 5 1/2" 44 mag, despite liking the 4 5/8's 44 spl flat top. I typically shoot what amounts to hot, not HOT, .44 spl loads in my mags. Though I don't need it that often, having the extra ability to unleash the extra horsepower is nice.

It easier to load a .44 down to .357 levels than to load a .357 up to .44 levels.

Boolit Master
    In reality I could not exist with only one, BUT for the sake of conversation it would have to be my GP-100. The versatility of the 357 or 38 special, and the variety of boolits available would put it above all others in my safe.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I only have ONE, a Glock G30, 45acp. Seems to work well enough for everything I want to do with a handgun at the moment.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Boolit Master
    If you could only save one of your children....which one? This may be an eaiser question to answer.

Ebner

44mag S&W Mountain Revolver. I usually carry it out in the woods. My 41 mag BH w/ 4 5/8" is the other. The big stuff is fun to play with but, not so fun to carry.

It would be almost impossible for me to leave my 1911's behind, but if forced to make the choice, it would probably be between my S&W 6" model 27, in .357 mag, or my 4" model 29, in .44 mag.

Seeing as how the only "dangerous game" (not counting the two legged variates) within 500 miles of me are coyotes and rattle snakes, I'd probably have to go with the .357 just for the longer barrel. The pistol has the finest trigger I've ever encountered and is, literally, "minute of beer can" at 100 yards, off a rest.

Hope I never have to choose . . . Doug
    NRA Life Member

But the People, in their weeping, bare the iron hand.
    Beware the People weeping, when they bare the iron hand.
    . . . . "The Martyr", Herman Melville, 1865

As others have said, I hope I never have to choose only one. However, for this exercise, hands down, a GP100 .357 with 5" barrel.
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Of all the unique uses I have for my various pistols...hunting, shooting long, shooting fast, concealed carry...By far the most important is the CC role. I'd have to choose the SP101.
    There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip.

Boolit Master
    I also dont want to choose only one.... But for ALL needs, it would be a double action (686 comes to mind) 357 mag. Not real great for only one need, but will do them all out to 100 yards. Has to be adjustable sights.

But no one can make me give up my other children!!!!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Guns are like Lays potato chips. A man can't have only one. But if I really had to choose only one it woud have to be my Ruger Speed Six in .357. Easy to find ammo. Easy to carry.

LatheRunner

This has always been an interesting question, if you could only have ONE handgun. A lot of people refuse to play...typically I stay out of it as well.

But, what the heck...here goes.

I've always said I'd go with my 625 S&W in .45 ACP. I've owned the 5" version of 1989 and enjoyed it, but I currently own a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP.

My reasons are simple enough. 1. I can always load down the .45 ACP with cast ball and hunt small game with little meat damage. 2. I can use .45 Auto Rim brass and load up to power levels that will handle anything I'm likely to run into in my neck of the woods. And lastly, a good hollow point round backed with several moon clips makes a formidable selfdefense revolver. On, and one other point I'd like to make in favor of the .45 ACP. In a worst case scenario, a hardcore scounger will be able to find .45 ACP ammunition.

On another note:

My only other consideration would be a high end 1911, pretty much for all the same reasons above. I know this is a ONE HAND GUN ONLY question poised here. If allowed, the 1911 would be another choice. 1 frame, three top ends. .22 LR conversion, the regular .45 ACP top end and a Rowland .460 . That'd cover all the same things listed above.

Between the two, I'd more than likely go with my S&W 625.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would never accept having just one.

I will say it would be dang hard to pick against my GP100 in 357.

Boolit Grand Master
    My answer today is the same as my answer was 30 years ago, (alright, more like 40), I'd pick a 4 inch .357 with adjustable sights. Of the ones I currentlt own, I'd choose my Colt Python, but the S&W M-66 might be a better choice for everything but the hottest loads. These are the guns I carried back in the day, and the .357 Magnum/38 SPL combo is a hard one to best.

That said, I'd be crying over the loss of my 32"s and 44's.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Probably my 5.5 Lispys .44 Bisley. It has done things for me that I never knew a pistol could do. Accurate at velocities from 800 to 1300 fps. Second choice 4 5/8" .44 SBH . Almost as good as the Bisley and a little easier packing.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't.

Won't.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I use the Walking Dead senerio and would go with the XD 40.

But if the zombie days don't come I'll just stick to all the handguns I have atm.
    Last edited by warf73; 06-30-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

3 would be easier, but if only one....... 4 inch model 29. Can make it hot, or not.

Boolit Buddy
    While not my favorite, It would be my Glock 23c , Put a Storm Lake barrel on it and it cant miss. Also with a pocket full of 13 round mags, Gives you good firepower if needed. Also have a lot of confidence with the Glock as it has never jammed/ftf