Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Triple 7 in 45-70

Triple 7 in 45-70

I'm new here and wanted to dive right in to things. I got a bunch of 40-60 brass from a estate sale made from 45-70 brass 2 summers ago and finally got a 45-70 H&W 1871 this summer for $285 with a nice tang sight and leather work. I blew out all the cases and got about 8 pounds of FFG triple 7 from a old lady who's husband died and hunted deer with the stuff. So I figured I would put it to good use. I do all my casting with straight wheel weights (no added tin) into a water bucket out of the mold. Right now I'm just using a 405gr weight bullet. I looked around for load data but could not find much to start with so I thought I would start with 50gr....and that went clear to the case mouth so I backed it off to 40gr. Seems to be a nice plinker load @ only 200 yards. I'll try to back it off more so some of the young small bore kids I coach can shoot it. Wondering if anybody else has used 3X7 in the past and has any good info.....as a side note I need to anneal all my brass before I load them again because of being over worked.
    Last edited by wonderwolf; 04-18-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Wonderwolf ... 57gr volume FFg H777 with a 500gr bullet and the Buffalo Classic:
    600yds - 5 shot group:
    3 - were a cloverleaf (1.75)
    1 - 4" to the left of the cloverleaf
    1 - 3" to the right of the cloverleaf
    Group: 7" x 2.75"
    PS: never been able to repeat this group.
    Regards
    John

Thumbs up 777

What ever you do DON'T leave a air gap between the powder and the boolit!
    A Nimrod
    Remember, the two bywords of the "New" Democrats are BAN and CONTROL because they fear FREEDOM.

Boolit Master

wonderwolf, just a headsup for you if your having to resize those water dropped boolits. I tried resizing in a Lyman 450 and gave up because I thought that I would destroy the thing. Too much surface area on a 45-70 slug...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure how long after you water dropped them, but sizing soon after dropping has always worked well for me. The bullets get much harder with a few weeks age. I size 440 to 540 grain water dropped ww 45-70's with no problems in a Lyman 450. I tried sizing a dropped .475 Linebaugh bullet after sitting, and snapped the handle right off on the first pull. Sizing soon after dropping works fine for me though.

They usually get sized and lubed within a week of being cast...In a few cases where I have cast almost 500 bullets in one sitting have they sat around for longer that that.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    wonderwolf.....BPCR is a whole different world than dumping a bunch of 5744 or 4895 into a case and pulling the trigger. There is a wealth of info regarding the shooting of BP that you should read and re-read before loading any.

Air space(there should be none), primers, wads, compression, bullet obturation, powder, lube, blow tube, etc all play a huge part in developing a safe and accurate load.

Paul Matthews, Mike Venturino and others have written volumes on this subject.

Read up and have fun with your new toy.
    So many toys........so little time.