RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data

Thread: Silver plated H&R Trapdoor v Pedersoli Sharps carbine?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Silver plated H&R Trapdoor v Pedersoli Sharps carbine?

I have bought a nib Silver plated H&R commemmorative, which is still at the gunshop. Every time I get a permit to acquire it, I see a nice milsup rifle or lever gun

This is a nice rifle, but I can't abide a rifle that I can't shoot and I feel that it would be a shame to shoot this one and it would be a bear to keep clean and stop the silver plate tarnishing (BTW, these were $US1200+ in 1967!!!!).

I am yet to pick the rifle up, but the shop has a new Pedersoli 45/70 in a cavalry carbine trim and I can take either. The pedersoli would be way more practical, but the H&R is a real trapdoor (albiet new) and it is purtyyyyyyyyyyy!

Before you say it, I can't afford both.

here is the H&R, I don't have a pic of the pedersoli, but it is a standard one, metal is nicely done with colour case hardening, well finished with pretty ordinary wood.

Suggestions?

Mick.

I will be glad when I'm completely broke, I won't have to make these confounded decisions.

I suppose I could hard chrome plate the harddware as it tarnished.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Super Moderator

...............I would buy the one you would shoot. I suspect that would be the Pedersoli . I cannot afford to buy a gun I can't shoot, and even though the H&R is for sure shootable, do you want to? But then again, if you didn't pay a collectable price for it, shoot it! If you can shoot it and already have a Sharps, get the TD

.....................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Mick

I suspect that a "safe queen" is just what you don't need. Like Buckshot, I personally can't afford something that would not get used. I'd vote for the Pedersoli unless the H&R is a good enough deal to buy now and use for trade goods later.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did get it pretty cheap, considering. I have to wait a month or so for another permit, so I will ponder on the matter. It might bring a good price at an auction.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Thumbs up Trap Door Carbine!

Mick,
    Get the Officer's Model H&R! It's a beautiful example of the genre, and you WILL shoot it! OK, maybe just with smokeless, but it begs to be fired!

And what the heck, a few rounds of 45/55/405 in the Holy Black out of that Carbine surely would give one an idea of what Custer's troops went through (different targets, of course).
    Regards,

WE

Sorry, I've betrayed the fold and accepted an offer of a new Police Remington 308 Pump gun, 120x rounds of Remington 180Gn Corelokt ammo, a spare mag and leupold q/d mounts and rings. I'll have to stick to shooting my BPCR Browning for awhile. I think I will keep my eyes open for an original Trapdoor, or our equivalent, the Snider. Mick.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 4fingermick View Post
    I am yet to pick the rifle up, but the shop has a new Pedersoli 45/70 in a cavalry carbine trim and I can take either. The pedersoli would be way more practical, but the H&R is a real trapdoor (albiet new) and it is purtyyyyyyyyyyy!

Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4fingermick View Post
    Sorry, I've betrayed the fold and accepted an offer of a new Police Remington 308 Pump gun, 120x rounds of Remington 180Gn Corelokt ammo, a spare mag and leupold q/d mounts and rings.
    A fairly fickle four-fingered foreigner, for sure...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Man
    Some of the H&R Trapdoors had a problem with the breech block latch. Eventually they would get so that the breech blocks would open when fired and auto-eject the cases. It was fixable, but the Pedersoli has had no such problems.
    B.F.

"breech blocks would open when fired and auto-eject the cases"

That's a bit disconcerting!

Boolit Grand Master

The H and R Trapdoors are not really shooters. H and R (according to Walters in Handloader) said they are not warrented with anything but B/P equivlant loads. In addition the H and R folks to avoid some machining made the trapdoor lever in two pieces and it is held together with a set screw. This screw backs out in use and pretty soon you are stuck with a gun that had to be repaired before you can unload it. For the pricve of the silver plated wall hanger you can get a fine Sharps or a modern Trapdoor or even a nice original. I had an H and R new in about 1980 and was some dissapointed with it. I traded it for an original that was some beat, but had a good bore and was much happier.

Yeah, I think my decision to hang out for an original was a better one.