Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: No 4 Rolling Block

Boolit Buddy

No 4 Rolling Block

I ran onto a No 4 in a cartridge I've never seen. It is stamped 25-10RF. Can anyone school me on this cartridge? I thought about buying this rifle. The asking price is $299. I wonder what the possibilities are of converting this gun to something shootable. It is in average condition. Everything is there and works.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Boolit Master
    Hello, Buddy. That is the old .25 rimfire ctg. These had quite a reputation in their day for squirrel rifles. I am not 100% sure, but Dixie Gun Works might have adapter cartridges for this..you have to use a .22 blank in an off-set chamber for the primer. This would take a "heeled" bullet..like modern .22 rimfire..might need custom mould. Some have converted breech-block to C. fire..but due to chamber dim., still would need heeled bullet..unless you breech-seat bullet in throat.

In Remembrance

#4 ?

I have a rather nice "Model 4". 22 short long and long rifle. Ser.#351166 .
    Remington made these in several different calibers and cartridges, long and short.
    Mine is one of the last made. 1923 ish.
    These old single shot guns are getting scarce and your gun would probably be worth more left as is.
    The guns made before the turn of the century are more likely to be made in 25 caliber.
    I gave three hundred for mine and it books for more than three times that.
    If my rememberer is working right you can still buy 25 rimfire ammunition somewhere.
    Have fun.

Life is good

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info. I had thought about relining it to .22.

Boolit Master
    I have my fathers Remington #4 22 long and it is my most prized rifle. It's suprisingly accurate given the somewhat pitted bore, and just a joy to shoot.

Funny you ask this question as just yesterday I was thinking about getting another #4 but in 32 rimfire and then converting the breach block to centerfire and re-chambering to 32 S&W. Then the reality hit of the work involved and cost. Suddenly a neat plinker was becoming very expensive.

I've seen #4's in 22rf that are in pretty good condition for $400. That would be much less expensive than getting a 25, having the barrel lined and the barrel restamped. It also wouldn't ruin the collectors value of the 25.

Boolit Buddy
    I was just imagining the 25-10 as being a cartidge you could stand about 75yds out and catch the bullets with a good baseball glove.

Boolit Master
    Don't underestimate the ability of a bullet to damage at extended ranges, even when launced at relatively sedate velocities. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if a 25-10 rf could penetrate through both sides of a baseball mit, and your hand at 75 yds.

Boolit Master

I have the #4s and Favorites coming in quite often for liners. Most of them are not collector quality. They were made in 22, 25 and 32 rim fire in solid frame and take down. The early ones had a take down lever on the right side and the later ones had a screw on the left side. The most common problem is the three in one spring having one or more ears broken. Springs are available from Wisner's.

Up until about 10 or 15 years ago, I think navy arrms had a yearly batch lot of 25rf available -
    I still have about 50 rounds or so left --
    Although I have a #4 takedown, it is 22rf, the 25rf is a stevens favorite --