Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: need help bolt action

Boolit Bub

need help bolt action

I am thinking about buying a Remington CXR in 223 or 308. Any feed back would be nice. Pro and con on this.
    Last edited by cardonasharp; 05-26-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Boolit Master

You just can't go wrong with a Remington....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

I like them all but a Remington is kind of like budwiser if your going to a party and don't know what to bring you bring budwiser so get a Remington I have a 700 in 300 win mag and love it. My wife has a 700 30-06 works for her. My next rifle will probably be a Remington in 223. I want to start casting in that cartridge.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Grand Master

Remington rifles are a solid choice. I personally own a 300 winmag in a 700 BDL. Just for starters, I have often said that if you buy a remington 700 and shoot remington factory ammo, if you dont get 1" @ 100yards, you will scare the heck out of it. (of course I know that some are not that good, but I haven't seen one yet.)
    If you are after accuracy, dont buy from wal-mart and dont buy used unless you know:
    A. where it was bought and
    B. approximately how many rounds have been shot through it.
    Beware of the 700's with the bull barrels and the plastic stock. They are sold with that stock as a packaging device, knowing the proud owner will immediately install a custom stock of his choice or he isn't too concerned about accuracy.
    I personally have a deep love for the BDL's that were made in the late 70's and early 80's. My 300 would shoot 3/4" groups at 200 yards. It was made in 1982. Sweet.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

I was "soured" on Remington by a 798 in 308 that was 3 MOA out of the box and never got any better no matter what I did to it.

Built another rifle with a reciever and barrel from a 700SPS mounted on a B&C stock that is a tack driver. 0.335" (center to center) 5 shot group at 100 yards!!!!! The excess throat Remington is famous for was removed by cutting back the breach 0.25" and re-chambering with a match chamber reamer.

Bought another 700SPS in 223 and like GoodSteel said it had a cheap plastic stock that I replaced with a B&C M40 stock. Chamber and barrel left as is and it is a tack driver too!!!

Far as I'm concerned Remington has redeemed themselves (although I won't be buying any more model 798s)!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    Remington 798s were Zastavas?

I have 700s in 7mm RemMag, 30-06(2), and a 25-06. I've previously owned a 6mm Remington, .222, .223, and .308. The last (2) were BDL VS. Mine are/were all wood stocked variety and excellent shooters. The 308 had a long, fat throat (Linda Lovelace).

Remington made some other *** bolt action a few years back, and I wouldn't have given you a nickle for one. I wasn't a fan of the 788 either, but they are reputed to be good shooters.
    Yea, the 798 was a Zasatava Mauser 98 clone in a *** stock that looked like soft plywood stained with shoe polish. They could have bought pipe from Lowes and made better barrels.

Ditto the L.L. throat on the 308 on my SPS (BDL). Cut a quarter inch of the breech end to get it right. Cartridge OAL was limited to 2.85 by the magazine and with that OAL my ogive is now 0.015" off the lands with a 168 gr SMK.

223 wasn't so bad and is a good shooter "as built".

Boolit Grand Master

The SPS is a prime example of what I was talking about. The stocks are just a nice way to deliver a barreled action to you.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Bub
    The rifle comes with the synthetic stocks. What caliper would be the best choice. I do not hunt. 223 or 308. Also can you shoot 5.56 miltary rounds out of the 223 version.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I really like the .308 because it will do nearly anything I ask a high power rifle to do including hunting big game . If you are happy blasting at the range , the .223 has a lot going for it economy being near the top of the list .

Jack

Boolit Bub
    The stock number for this rifle is 84207. This is the one I am going to buy.