Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: making tubing jackets.

Boolit Master
    What cartridge will you be shooting these in? Mine are 35 caliber and I am shooting them in a .358 Win. So with a 225 gr bullet I can only get them moving about 2400 fps. Even with the slow velocity, if the tip is right they open up with the perfect mushroom shape. You may not need to score them. Only one way to find out. Shoot them into something and recover them. We love looking at pictures of smashed up bullets!

Question about the fold over pictures. It almost looks like there might be just a tad too much material and that you are getting a little bulge at the base of the jacket when you go to completely close the base. This could just be shadows and coloration of the copper after annealing so I don't know, but I looks great and I know what I want to do next.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Master

I think there are and were a lot of issues on the round over. first and I think most importantly I was not cutting the ends square. I am addressing that issue now. I have an old forester case trimmer that I intend to modify so I can cut the tubing straight and square to the Id of the tubing. Secondly Those jackets were made with Soft coiled copper tubing. After Santa Claus gets done with me and I recover a little I intend to go to NSC supply in Down Town St. Louis and get some hard drawn Type L tubing. The fold and the base of the bullet looks a lot better in person LOL than in the picture. and they look much better shined up. I do intend to shoot some of them the first opportunity I have but that will probably be after the holidays some time. You are correct I need to see how they do before making a bunch of un-needed tooling. I will be shooting them from an 06 and the flat nosed stuff from a 30-30

Reload3006, any updates sir?

How does it shoot?

Boolit Master

I haven't gotten around to that yet. Been Very busy. I am in the process of making a pinch trim die to uniform the jackets better.