Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird stuff in the berm

Boolit Master

Jannosh is correct about the first one. BRI was bought out by Winchester, they then offered that sabot. Memory failure.

The one that I brought up was the dan arms slug with the wad that stayed with the slug in flight. Active then bought the patent, then brought out the slug in their all-plastic hulls. A very accurate combo, too bad active is gone along with those slugs.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Jim! When can we expect to see you on Discovery channel with the other mining guys?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    No clue. Any ideas?

Well I will be the smart aleck.
    Something 9mm made by IAI in 02.

Maybe for launching gluelits??
    Last edited by DCM; 05-19-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    I think this 9mm thing is used by Law Enforcement or the military to shoot plastic ammo at each other. I forget the name of the stuff, but I've seen them on the grounds of the Cal HP academy in Sacramento. I assume it will cycle the action of an automatic.
    Last edited by jblee10; 05-13-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added to post

Boolit Master

Jim is this on your land? I seem to remember you had trespassers in the past.

That is some odd stuff to find in the berm I WOULD THINK IT would be near the firing line.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Banned

Last edited by tomme boy; 05-15-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    #1 BRI Sabot slug, and I still have a few of the "Police" marked shells in my collection from my early LEO Firearms Instructor days. Very accurate in a rifled bore, and it did not matter if it expanded, it left at least .50 caliber hole in whatever it struck.
    #2 is a function test round like we used in the Armorer's Courses we attended.
    #3 is an early variation of Federal Guard Dog round or EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) as mentioned earlier. It is intended to reduce penetration in household scenarios, but still offer tremendous energy transfer to soft tissue.
    #4 is quite similar to our first efforts to bring a live opponent into Officer's In-Service training. This ammo required a specific barrel to replace the original (to eliminate the possibility of live ammo being introduced into the otherwise sterile training environment). The plastic plunger was seated into the shortened case and was primer actuated forcing the plunger forward which forced the slide rearward. The heavy crimp retained the plunger with the case as it was ejected. The system permitted the noise, perceptable recoil, a bit of smoke, and the unmistakeable smell of shooting upon firing to enhance the training experience. Our Officers even experienced the same tachy-psychia effects of a real gunfight as in not even perceiving the sound of their own weapons, or ability to count outgoing rounds in the "fight". It also reinforced our #1 rule to them that incoming rounds have the right of way; to find cover first, identify the target, isolate the target, then eliminate it. Comical to see these big tough fellows giggle in class only to duck and cover when our Instructors came out shooting in the first few runs.
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Master

I've seen ads for that last one. You put that one in the chamber with a loaded magazine of real ammo behind it. It's like a snap cap that disables the gun (primer drives the plastic wedge into the throat and/or forcing cone). You're supposed to eject it before you shoot. If a kid or a bad guy gets ahold of your gun, they don't know that the first round is a dummy, then they can't get to the 2nd round.

It works better with revolvers.

It's sold as a safety device

Boolit Master

Wrong zxcvbob, as has already been stated, it's a simunition round.

http://simunition.com/en/products/fx_marking_cartridges

They are used for force on force training.

You are thinking of the safety bullet.

http://www.safetybullet.com/

An altogether useless idea in my opinion.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Buddy

Looks like a sim round for sure.

Boolit Buddy

Agreed. A stupid idea for sure with the safety bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Hey Jim! When can we expect to see you on Discovery channel with the other mining guys?
    Ya' know, Jeff, it's funny you should ask. I called them about a month or so back and they said they would call me. I haven't heard a word! Think maybe they lost my number? Maybe I should give them another call, ya' think?

In Remembrance

The first slug pic could be either a BRI or a Winchester/BRI or even an S&W police barricade penatrator. I still have several of the S&W slugs from the mid 60`s when I was in enforcement. I`m kinda thinking that Fiocchi loaded them for S&W, I remember they flew pretty straight from our Model 12`s and Ithaca riot guns.Robert

Boolit Master

Y'know JIM, if you just tell them the range is haunted, you found some metal you can't identify, you think it's ALIEN, you saw something big and hairy watching you the other day..... And you have a mess of snapping turtles around there..... They can combine most of all those shows into one. LOL..... Just don't mention the GOLD.

Boolit Buddy
    HardCast, I found the BRI shells mentioned earlier in my collection and they are indeed marked S&W. Good memory, My Friend.
    Cheers,
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Master

I still have some boxes of the Original BRI penetrators . They will destroy an engine block and when tested they penetrated 17 feet of clay. Somewhere I have a cutaway one we showed as a sales sample...
    Awesome slug for a shotgun !
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    That bottom photo bullet looks like a Full metal Jacket with fried chicken as a core...LOL
    Jon
    Actually I thought a core of pork by looks of the hair in it. Perhaps a round designed for battles against those who have some form of affliction against pork.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    No clue. Any ideas?

This is actually what propells the 40mm practice/marking grenade. I have found plenty of hese on the grenade ranges.