WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision

Thread: Dual smokeless and b.p. homemade lube

Dual smokeless and b.p. homemade lube

Help - I've got a query.

I've happily used a beeswax / paraffin wax / petroleum jelly (and a dash of olive oil) mix with my 45/90 with great success. I fill the grease grooves as normal, but I also like to dip the nose in the molten mix and let it solidify to put a skin on the outside of the boolit. So far so good.

I've used it recently with .310 Cadet by just dipping the finished lead boolit in the molten mix to allow a thin skin to form and outside lube it (no grease grooves on this boolit). I put that in front of 6.3 grns of Bluedot and it feels nice with no noticeable probs, except that the cases are hard work to clean the solidified lube off and I had one that did a bit of a tracer on the way up the range.

One of the guys at our club thinks that mix is unsafe because it's really a black powder lube and isn't suitable for smokeless. What do you think? Is it an acceptable lube for a small smokeless cartridge, or am I risking things? Anyone got any alternative homemade smokeless lubes if there's a problem with the one I'm using?

Thanks and Regards from Rainy Old England.
    Picking up primers one by one....

most black powder lubes well do well to at least starting velocites/pressures and even mid range loads with any of the original black powder loaded designed cartridges , and work well with low pressure rounds such as the 45 acp ,38 special etc
    the "bit of tracer" to me is more worrying but it sounds like powder had gotten stuck on the lube on the base and was burning off ( but that's just a wild guess and i'll admit it ) certian conditions that could start a fire
    the easiest umm home made/ready lube would be a johnson's paste wax ( applied like a tumble lube ) if you have or can get the liquid alox/xlox recluse has a great recipe for a mix ( in the stikki's even
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654
    various waxes and combos have been talked about in many of the threads ( i like the polymer paint one lolz ) if you was stateside i'd suggest the liquid rooster paper patch lube ( it's alot like the coating on many lead .22 lr rounds )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

parafin and vaseline are in no way a blackpowder lube.
    you are using an old nra formula depending on how much vaseline is in the mix.
    it was NOT intended for black powder.

tell him he might want to read a book before passing judgement.

if it ain't leading what's the problem?
    so you watched a boolit fly through the air, big deal.
    you can see 308's at 2700 fps fly through the air all the time.
    it's called sunlight.

Thanks Guys. I'm very happy with the performance of the lube, I got sub 1" groups at 25 yards, and with the terrible sights on a cadet, and my even worse eyesight that's pretty good. I use the same lube with my 1872 manufactured 45-90 RRB and group 5 shot 1.75 inch groups at 50 yards (using Pyrodex or 777 - quite a lot bigger with genuine coarse b.p.) so no complaints with the accuracy or the leading. I was just a bit concerned that I had missed something. Thanks again.
    Picking up primers one by one....