Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranch Dog Outdoors Lever Guns

Ranch Dog Outdoors Lever Guns

I have the TLC311-165-RF mold. Have not used it yet, but did order this bullet from Carolina Bullets without the Gas Check. Anybody with a 30.30 load this bullet up yet? I'm looking for some load data to work up with. Loading primarily for deer and hog.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the very similar GB mould. Cast of WWs + 2% tin and AC'd, sized at .311, lubed with Javelina, Hornady GCs over 14.5 gr 2400 with a 1/2 gr dacron filler gives, from my 21" Contender Carbine, 1722 fps at 28,700 psi(M43) with 1.4 moa accuracy at 100 yards with a 10 shot test string.

That same load shoot extremely well in both my M94s also but I push it harder with 28 gr of H4895 with no filler in the 12" twist M94s at 2000 - 2150 fps with 2 - 2 1/2 moa accuracy for hunting.

Larry Gibson

Thanks, Larry I have checked and these boolits are BHN 15. They were poured without Gas Checks and are good to around 1600-1900 Feet Per Second as such I'm told.

I have the latest reloading manuals from Speer and Hornady. They do not support this or any lead boolit for 30.30 however.

I have on hand LeverRevolution, IMR4895, IMR4350 and H335 for long guns at the moment. I am just searching for some data that will support this boolit as I have the mold for it as well although it is a Gas Check mold.

Trying to stay on the safe side as I am new to reloading for rifles. I load lots of pistols/revolvers and comfortable in that scenario.

Boolit Master

I've had very good luck with AA 5744 20grs in my .30-30 with the Lee 170 grfp. Here's some starting load data, back off from them and work up.

http://www.reloadammo.com/3030load.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rexherring View Post
    I've had very good luck with AA 5744 20grs in my .30-30 with the Lee 170 grfp. Here's some starting load data, back off from them and work up.

http://www.reloadammo.com/3030load.htm
    Interesting Rexherring.... thanks. The 170 Grain Jacketed Flat Point from Hornady is pretty close from the above starting data sheet. The only reason I have avoided those loads is because somebody pounded it into me awhile back not to interpolate Jacketed to Lead because of the additional friction encountered with the jacketed vs the lead boolits and the resultant higher pressures ect. Maybe I am being too anal here.... by backing off the 10% I should be safe? I'm sure once I test fire a few at that lowered powder charge I will have a much better feel for the situation. I sure appreciate any and all info.

I really want to utilize the LeveRevolution powder. It's sitting here staring at me....

Banned

notgunnahappen with that boolit combo.
    now the jaxketed and the lever should be fine, you will want to back it off as the bullet you want to use has more bearing surface.

To get to the velocity that you want you will need the gas checks.

Not sure why it won't work. If I can kill a Boar with a .22 long rifle at these velocities.... why can I not kill a Boar with a 30.30? I achieved 1655 FPS today at the range .... good groupings. I guess I have to find a Porker now to test the rest.

By the way.. I do have Gas Checks on hand for this bullet... but at this velocity I have no leading so far....

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/...oadnotes06.pdf
    I'd work up from the Hodgdon's I4895 data first to see how well it tracks with Ranchdogs 170 and Hodgdons 160 FTX data, then try the LeveRevolution, starting at where the I4895 ends for the FTX bullet. Use the gas checks. YMMV

You can kill a boar with a sharp stick, but I would like pics of your groups! with distance. Pics also of groups at the 1900 fps that you mentioned you would like to achieve (with no gas check).
    Last edited by calkar; 04-14-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Max velocity for this boolit is approx 1650 so far without leading. No... I can't kill a Boar with a sharp stick and wouldn't try...

I doubt I can achieve 1700 fps from what I have observed today...without leading. I was told the boolit would run 1600-1900 without gas checks but as mentioned 1650 or so seems to be max. So its ok there. My groups were not bad at all but not as good as they could be. I was a bit disappointed but when I got back to cleanup I found the front scope mount was completely loose. Will have to run another trial to tighten up the groups with the scope actually attached. Pictures are no problem.

This load used H335 starting at 18.5 Grains and ending at 20.5 Grains using 1/2 grain increases per batch or string. I would probably not exceed 21 grains or so maximum. I have some loaded up to that level but ran out of time today.

Will be better organized next trip and try for accuracy and pictures.

I may have confused the issue with the statement about LeverRevolution powder. I plan on using that powder for FTX Hornady's... not lead boolits. I re read my earlier statements tonight and think that several posters were thinking I was trying to use Lever with the RanchDog boolits... sorry about the confusion....

The comment about the .22 Long Rifle and Feral Hogs was because of the infinite wisdom that our tree hugging friends in Tallahassee have applied to hunting Feral hogs in Florida. All 63 counties have a Feral Hog problem but on state lands you have to pay for the privilege of doing the states work. To add insult to injury they have a "season" for Feral Hogs I suppose so we don't help them become extinct. Then to further discourage us from doing their job they REQUIRE us to use RIMFIRE when hunting them on State lands. On private lands there is no caliber restriction or hunting season on them. I would wager that won't stand long however. Times they are a changin.......

In Remembrance
    It is odd that they would require you to use rimfire only.
    I would love to know the thought process involved in coming up with that law.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    It is odd that they would require you to use rimfire only.
    I would love to know the thought process involved in coming up with that law.
    I have a friend that works for the Forest Service and he thinks its because they don't want people on state lands with Center Fire rifles during evening hours while hunting Hogs.

Since you can't kill a Deer with Rim Fire (but for some odd reason they think you should shoot potentially dangerous hogs with them) as its illegal... I suppose their thought process is you will not be tempted to shoot Deer at night while hunting Feral Hogs?

At any rate... when the Deer go out of season so go the Hogs. Makes little sense to me...

One needs a lawyer to hunt and fish anymore it seems. And that is probably the point.

I feel in certain areas of these regulations it goes well past "conservation" and is into the realm of "Thou Shalt Not Hunt The King's Wildlife In Sherwood Forest".

Boolit Buddy
    The hog season on state lands runs concurrently with the late winter small game season. During this season, we are restricted to rimfire rifles and shotguns with shot no larger than #4. During the general gun season, we can smoke em' with whatever we got with us.

I have that mold, and my final load for 30-30 was 32 gr of IMR 4895, the lead mix was 50% WW/ 50% lino. Use the same load for my 30-06s. Max grainage is 35 according to Ranch Dog. Also use White Lubes 2500+, not my standard home made lube.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Sapp View Post
    The hog season on state lands runs concurrently with the late winter small game season. During this season, we are restricted to rimfire rifles and shotguns with shot no larger than #4. During the general gun season, we can smoke em' with whatever we got with us.
    Makes sense... I was involved in Feb/March so that would explain the Rimfire requirements not that it makes any sense at all. My buddy was actually looking for excuses to use his .17 I think. He is a Hog killing machine.... I think he would use a sharp stick if he were required to. No way he would not be out there.... BUT having a Hog mounted and hung on the living room wall is going to far for me.....HA HA! Yes he is.

Boolit Buddy
    Speaking of sharp sticks... I have to hijack your thread here to tell this.

I'm sending you a pic of my idiot children and a hog they tangled with a couple of years back. Yes, that is an air rifle he's holding, and that and a palm frond spear is all they had when they and the bird dog started the fight. There then ensued a 1/4 mile running battle ( Easton's comment: "We'd run him for a while, and then he'd run us for a while" Victoria's comment: "He was running and squealing like a girl!" Me: "the hog?" Her: "No, Easton!")

After about 30 shots to his head with the air rifle, ( he looked like he had been shot with a load of 2's in the face) Victoria decided to run back to my truck and get a .22. She then climbed up on the log he was bayed up against, stuck it to the back of his head and popped him.

After he was dead, it occurred to them that maybe they should use their radio and inform some adults what was going on. We did not have a scale with us, but I'm sure he was at least 250 pounds. The palm frond spear had blood on it's tip, also.

I've been calling them my idiot children ever since! I tried to blame it on their mother's side, but I have heard several comments from from the local community about " the apple not falling far from the tree"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0011.jpg  
    Last edited by Leslie Sapp; 04-15-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Sapp View Post
    Speaking of sharp sticks... I have to hijack your thread here to tell this.

I'm sending you a pic of my idiot children and a hog they tangled with a couple of years back. Yes, that is an air rifle he's holding, and that and a palm frond spear is all they had when they and the bird dog started the fight. There then ensued a 1/4 mile running battle ( Easton's comment: "We'd run him for a while, and then he'd run us for a while" Victoria's comment: "He was running and squealing like a girl!" Me: "the hog?" Her: "No, Easton!")

After about 30 shots to his head with the air rifle, ( he looked like he had been shot with a load of 2's in the face) Victoria decided to run back to my truck and get a .22. She then climbed up on the log he was bayed up against, stuck it to the back of his head and popped him.

After he was dead, it occurred to them that maybe they should use their radio and inform some adults what was going on. We did not have a scale with us, but I sure he was at least 250 pounds. The palm frond spear had blood on it's tip, also.

I've been calling them my idiot children ever since! I tried to blame it on their mother's side, but I have heard several comments from from the local community about " the apple not falling far from the tree"
    Thats priceless! Almost sprayed the screen with coffee! I can just see it happening blow by blow.... glad you got a picture of it..... my wife cracked up too. I guess sharp sticks are not to be discounted....

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    I have that mold, and my final load for 30-30 was 32 gr of IMR 4895, the lead mix was 50% WW/ 50% lino. Use the same load for my 30-06s. Max grainage is 35 according to Ranch Dog. Also use White Lubes 2500+, not my standard home made lube.
    Lead Fred... I can't find that chart from Ranch Dog online any longer. Can you still access it? I saw it once and then wasn't able to find it the next few visits. I was sure they had some data for this boolit somewhere!

Dark Helmet has a link posted to the page a few posts up. I found it.