Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do my dogs....

Banned
    Labs are too stupid to even keep their ears right side out. There's no telling what a lab will do. Labs are about enthusiasm, not brain power.

A lab will let you finish pulling the porcupine quill out of its nose, one by one, then leap off the table and go looking for the porcupine.

TNFrank has it right. Wild dogs, wolves, and yotes will do the same thing.
    However, I really like the lawyer theory

Boolit Master
    MY female Collie would sneak off to the ranch down the road to roll "in it" all the time. It was hell, because she was an inside dog.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Like rockrat says, I have always assumed that it is as a "cover scent" to aid in hunting,
    ancient dog pack ingrained behavior coming out.

Not unlike some of the fox urine scents used as cover scents. Those things are NASTY!
    Had some cow elk urine plastic smell tabs I tried one elk hunt. OMG! Incredibly strong
    and bad smell.

Bill
    Bill,
    I had a hunter that had several of those things pinned to his hat. It took me a couple days to figure what in the hell stunk so bad in my truck. At first I thought that this guy had the worst hygiene in the world.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Simonpie View Post
    A labrador coated in dead seal is the worst. Seals don't even smell good alive.
    Movie quote "And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

Boolit Master
    Canines have a long history of rolling in stuff that smells bad to us. All animals have scent glands & use them for communication with other animals. Adding their smell to a dead animal, or manure or whatever is some form of communication. However, as a trapper, I can attest to how good rotton stuff is at attracting & catching canines.

Boolit Buddy
    I once saw a dog gyrating at the edge of a road, Thought it had been hit and was in death throes. Then I saw the carcass it was rolling in. EEEYYYOOO

Quote Originally Posted by lbaize3 View Post
    And here is the second picture I have been trying to put in....
    lbaize3-

My wife sure likes your little dog, although I am disappointed in her apparent lack of interest in cast boolits.

I had a dog that loved to roll in poop, the fresher the better, then he would come home and try to nuzzle up to me.
    Kind of broke him of it when he found out he would get hosed down with the garden hose upon returning home from such an adventure.

So I guess I can sort of see why they want to get the scent on themselves, BUT why do they have to eat the stuff?

Boolit Master
    Mine likes to catch birds, tear them to shreds and then waller in the remains. Nasty little $@&!@**

I love him though.

Might be a Lab thing?

I had a Border Collie/Lab mix. Smartest dog I've ever come across. She understood english.

BUT! Loved to get in the stinkiest stuff and roll. Tie her to a tree and soak her with dish soap and use the hose with a spray nozzle cause you couldn't get closer.

Banned
    A Border Collie could re-wire your house.

Boolit Grand Master

This is a canine trait that we exploit when trapping. If you trap a skunk, leave it in the trap and set more traps aroound the skunk. Then when the coyotes come to roll on the skunk you have something good, albiet smelly, in your traps. I've also caught a few dogs this way.

In Remembrance

It is a way that Red Mange is spread among canines. An animal dies with the effects of mange and others roll on the carcass and are contaminated. Coyotes here get it regularly. Bobcats do not.

Boolit Bub
    Same reason they will roll in a dear carcass, or make a bee line to the toilet right after you have done the dirty. Same reason why I have to put the dog in the kennel, and walk 400-500 yard out of site to do a field drop (if I don’t they will run over and eat it).

They are just dogs, and its behavior like this that endears them to you.

2 years ago my oldest husky got the mange.
    Vet asked if he had been around any carcasses.
    Since I live in town I'm not aware of it if he did I told him.
    Thankfully the vet had a new treatment for the mange, it consisted of several pills over a week or so.
    The dog recovered and is still with me, I'm happy to say.

Boolit Master
    Our beagle has rolled in anything stinky OTHER than dog **** since he was old enough to sneak out the door and run the neighborhood. He's an inside dog and we keep a close eye on him to prevent it, but it still happens once in a while. The bad part is that he has taught my female weimaraner to do it as well. She's not quite as enthusiastic about it, but if she isn't being watched she'll go for it. Ignores anything like it while hunting, but just hanging around the yard they both look for the stinky. Into the bathtub, wash them off, back to normal. And neither of them wallow in it, it's more a matter of marking their shoulders, sometime the side of their heads with it, never a full out **** roll.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Quite simple. Dogs are gross. Dogs are slobs. Dogs are disgusting. Some dogs are smart, but that doesn't negate the fact that they are smelly, loud, offensive creatures with horrible habits and a slave mentality that would make a liberal wet his pants with envy.

They are also beautiful animals... so long as they aren't in MY house. I love petting and playing with other people's dogs, but they are so vile in their hygeine that I could never have one. Sorry, but I do NOT want a dog licking my face after it has eaten a pile of cow flop.

Cats are clean, but then there is the stinking litter to deal with. The ideal is a cat that can go outside to do its business.

I love animals, I just don't want pets.

You might as well ask why a dog sniffs another dog's butt; you and I will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    Quite simple. Dogs are gross. Dogs are slobs. Dogs are disgusting. Some dogs are smart, but that doesn't negate the fact that they are smelly, loud, offensive creatures with horrible habits and a slave mentality that would make a liberal wet his pants with envy.

They are also beautiful animals... so long as they aren't in MY house. I love petting and playing with other people's dogs, but they are so vile in their hygeine that I could never have one. Sorry, but I do NOT want a dog licking my face after it has eaten a pile of cow flop.

Cats are clean, but then there is the stinking litter to deal with. The ideal is a cat that can go outside to do its business.

I love animals, I just don't want pets.

You might as well ask why a dog sniffs another dog's butt; you and I will never know.
    I was reading Jonk's post and thought that is how women look at men.
    WELL, except for the butt sniffing part.

I've had dogs ever since I can remember.
    Yes they can be filthy, stinky, trouble, and sometimes a royal pain in the butt.
    But from what my wife says, so can I.
    You just gotta love something that irretates a woman.

Joking aside, dogs don't care if you did something wrong, made a bad decision, lost your job, etc.
    They are just happy to see you, how many of us have human friends who are like that.

Cats on the other hand are sneeky, arrogant, and lazy.
    Reminds me of some women I know.