Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: M-die on Dillon 550B?

Boolit Bub

M-die on Dillon 550B?

Hi guys. I'm looking at upgrading my reloading setup, and for now a Dillon 550B is at the top of the list as it will handle everything I want to reload, rifle and pistol with standard dies.

Maybe some of you who have worked with the Dillon 550 presses would be able to help. The thing I'm trying to figure out is how set the press up for reloading cast boolits without cutting or swaging them on seating. The normal answer is to use a Lyman M die to bell the case mouth. So trying to figure this out as to how it would work on the Dillon as it appears the powder charge station is also an expander.

Here's my guess:
    Station 1: Resize/deprime die
    Station 2: M-die
    Station 3: Dillon powder charge die
    Station 4: Bullet seater/crimp die

Did I understand that correctly, or even close?

For what its worth, I load 38 spc, .357 mag, .45 ACP, .223, 7mm rem mag, and 45-70. I don't know if there might be a better option that what I'm proposing, but all suggestions welcome.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Boolit Master
    Station 1: Resize/deprime die
    Station 2: M-die
    Station 3: Dillon powder charge die
    Station 4: Bullet seater/crimp die

That is how I got it on my Lee turret, I own a Dillon 550 and don't see why it would not work that way on it. On my Dillon 650, with 5 die stations, I could have a separate seat die (station 4)
    and crimp die (station5).

I don't need a M die for 45acp but for 9mm ... I gotta have it or I got real issues !

Boolit Buddy
    For many calibers you can get an expanding die that works with the powder measure from Dillon.
    For something small like . 223 in station 3 if not a highly compressed load you could use an M die or a Lee neck flaring die.
    the Lee neck die works great in that position for me with cases sized with a neck bushing die or for my 7.5 X 55 sized in a lee collet die with a 303 british mandrel in it.
    After flaring /belling your case neck in station 3 you set your bullet in the case neck before advancing it to #4
    Last edited by runnin lead; 03-28-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    I resize and de-prime as a separate process. Then:

station 1: M-die
    station 2: powder measure with custom powder "slug/funnel" that does no further belling
    station 3: seater die
    station 4: crimp die to remove residual bell
    ph4570

Boolit Master

The Dillion powder measure pretty much has to go in station 2, as that's where the powder measure "positive return" mechanism is hooked up. Personally, I prefer to use the 550 in two steps: Size/deprime/prime at Station 1 and put only the M die in Station 2 and churn out lots of primed expanded cases for use "later". Later, leave Station 1 empty, charge with powder at Station 2 and use Stations 3 and 4 for seating and crimping.

Boolit Grand Master

The powder funnel die and powder dispensing on the Dillon 550B should be left at station #2. The powder funnels for your .38/357, 45 ACP and the 45-70 are M-dies. You simply have to adjust the powder funnel die body in or out to get the case mouths flared the right amount and to dump/operate the powder thrower.

For the other rifle cartridges I also suggest leaving the powder thrower at station #2.

Station #1; size and deprime
    Station #2; dispence powder
    Station #3; M-die (place bullet in expanded case mouth before rotating star/indexing)
    Station #4; seat and crimp, if necessary

If you size, delube, inspect case and clean primer pockets seperately;

Station #1; M-die
    Station #2 dispence powder
    Station #3; seat bullet
    Station #4; crimp, if necessary

That's how I do it and it works very well.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree entirely with Larry. I load 32-20 on my 550, I size and deprive in a separate step. Cleaned cases are then are run thru a universal decap to remove media from primer pocket, the powder drop which also expands case mouth for searing a cast bullet, the bullet seater, then a crimp.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried using the 38/357 powder die to bell 9mm cases so not to swage the bullet as it was being seated and it does not work. By the time you screw the die down to adjust the bell the die has already hit the shell plate.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried using the 38/357 powder funnel to bell case mouth on the 9mm cases to prevent the lead from swaging as it is being seated. Unfortunately by the time the die is screwed down far enough for the powder funnel to bell the case it is already sitting on the shell plate. So that does not work!

Boolit Buddy
    okay why would you use the 357/38 to bell for 9mm ? On the 650 loading lead .45 acp the .45 powder funnel works fine and when I ran the SDB same thing the p/f that was for that cartridge work fine to bell for lead bullets

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by angus6 View Post
    okay why would you use the 357/38 to bell for 9mm ? On the 650 loading lead .45 acp the .45 powder funnel works fine and when I ran the SDB same thing the p/f that was for that cartridge work fine to bell for lead bullets
    From what I have been reading here the 38/357 powder funnel will open up the case farther down so as not to swage down the diameter of the lead bullet entering the case. I micd mine and it was .357. The 9mm powder funnel is .355.

Boolit Mold
    Refer to Larry's post .He's got it right

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the information guys. If I'm understanding right, this is the result:

1. Powder charging goes in station 2.
    2. The powder funnel may be able to expand the case enough to prevent swaging.
    3. If necessary I could try using an M die or Lee expander in station 3.

This sounds like a great way to go about the process and reassures me that going ahead with the Dillon purchase will meet most or all of my needs in the immediate future.

Thanks again,

jld_in_IA

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know if Dillon still does this or not .I had them make me a 30 cal & 7mm
    powder through expander for my measure. That was in the mid 80's
    If not someone like The Lathe Smith on this site or maybe Buckshot could make something
    like that if you were interested.
    For many applications using a bushing die is better. You dont have to reexpand.
    just a little flare or bell with the Lee neck die.
    You are sizing the brass down less & not working it as much & not having to reexpand.