Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Sent my new Rio Grande back

Sent my new Rio Grande back

Tested my new stainless Rio Grande 30-30, I noticed only one in ten rounds would fire. It would'nt extract to well and the barrel only had half it's rifling. Also there was a lot of tool marks on the bolt face and firing pin (real bad).shock: The upside was it shot a 1" group @ 100yards with the RCBS 30-180-FN ? Anyway I took the rifle back to the store. They sent it back to the importer. It come back as unrepairable. So I now have a new one. The first thing I noticed was a blued extractor instead of of a stainless one . I put a Bushnell Trophy (1x28) red dot on top. This gun works fine. The load I use is 28grs of 2206H (ADI) = h4895 With the RCBS 30-180- FN. This load shoots so well. The throat is not that long so I can only use an oal of 2.550" and this touch's the lands, but chambers ok and places the boolit under the neck. So as far as accuracy goes it is very good. This gun shoots very well and pleased with it. This group was shoot at 100yard~three into 15mm
    Lead foot;

That's quality control that H&R 1871 could be proud of! LOL
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Bub
    My RG definitely had an extractor problem. I played with it for a while. I finally examined my Marlin 1895`s extractor and found the fix. It involved filing the bottom corner of the extractor at an angle. The other day at the range, it pulled everything out of the chamber up to a factory load.

I think the firing pin in mine is a little tight, so I need to take it out and see if it needs polishing, I get a misfire every now and then, I could always try another mainspring, but the trigger is so nice.

My barrel looks good, so I`ll continue to tinker with it. I just troubleshoot it like a Marlin. I used the magazine follower from Steve`s Gunz that he makes for the .45 Rossi, to replace the plastic one.

I guess I hate to ship guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayc384 View Post
    My RG definitely had an extractor problem. I played with it for a while. I finally examined my Marlin 1895`s extractor and found the fix. It involved filing the bottom corner of the extractor at an angle. The other day at the range, it pulled everything out of the chamber up to a factory load.

I think the firing pin in mine is a little tight, so I need to take it out and see if it needs polishing, I get a misfire every now and then, I could always try another mainspring, but the trigger is so nice.

My barrel looks good, so I`ll continue to tinker with it. I just troubleshoot it like a Marlin. I used the magazine follower from Steve`s Gunz that he makes for the .45 Rossi, to replace the plastic one.

I guess I hate to ship guns.
    Sounds like we have the same problems. Going by the serial number they made 11000 units from the one I returned to my new one and the extractor is differant. ( from stainless to blued steel.) I too hate shipping 'em back. The trigger on this one is so good two; What primers do you use. I'm using CCI 200's. Might buy some fed's to see if they are a little softer.
    Lead foot;p

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    That is all good to read. Not that you had a bad one but that they made it right.
    That RCBS 180-FN is very accurate in all my caliber 30 rifles. One of the good ones !
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    I believe my primers were Winchester, rhe hardest of coursr.