MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: leg cramps

In Remebrance

I wish you guys would stop saying, "Brets right." I don't hear that much and it gives me the creeps...

Boolit Grand Master
    Bret is right, it is creepy.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Echo;1610447]My problem is potassium loss due to diuretic prescription - QUOTE]

Me too.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I wish you guys would stop saying, "Brets right." I don't hear that much and it gives me the creeps...
    somebody's gotta do it, i usually have the got/doin it wrong covered...

Boolit Master
    How many bananas should you eat in a day to make the cramps go away?

Boolit Master

Lipator was the main culprit in my case. All satins can cause problems.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Bret is right, it is creepy.
    HAR!

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I don't know. All I know is that when I get crampy in the legs and I eat a banana it stops pretty soon. I'm sure some people might need 2 and other 1/2 a banana. I imagine a couple a week would help or a multivitamin that's gots lots of potassium.

Actually, we probably would have lots of potassium in what we eat, it's just that most of it is so processed and adulterated that the "goodness" is worked right out of it.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is no "right" amount of potassium to get in order to stop the cramps. Depends on diet, how hard you are working, the temperature, hydration level, and many other things. You lose potassium thru sweating, the more you sweat, the more potassium you might need to replace.

My suggestion is to learn what your body needs. Try a banana or two before you get into a situation that may cause cramps. That plus good hydration may well prevent them. If they occur daily, eat a banana or two, or three, a day and see how that works. Again, hydration is also important.

If you have chronic leg cramps and are not working Hardin the heat where swearing is the problem I would suggest seeing ypur MD. Could be low potassium due to some other cause and a potassium supplement via prescription could neon order. That is a last resort as the potassium tabs, or caps, you get on prescription have WAY more potassium than even 2 or 3 bananas.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    2-3 a month does it for me in the winter, double that in the summer.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

There is a bottled water on the market that is super high in electrolytes and works great at quickly re-hydrating you. The water is pulled from deep in the ocean below Hawaii. It is not yet available in every corner store, but it is available through Amazon.com. It is a "premium" water, priced near the same as Smart Water or Fuji, but it is the only unflavored bottled water I can stand to drink. (it is available locally for me) It is high in potassium, magnesium, and a bunch of trace minerals. (much higher than anything else I have seen).

I have a couple friends that are competitive cyclers that swear by it for keeping them hydrated and eliminating the cramping in their legs.
    Last edited by Stick_man; 02-29-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    There is no "right" amount of potassium to get in order to stop the cramps. Depends on diet, how hard you are working, the temperature, hydration level, and many other things. You lose potassium thru sweating, the more you sweat, the more potassium you might need to replace.

My suggestion is to learn what your body needs. Try a banana or two before you get into a situation that may cause cramps. That plus good hydration may well prevent them. If they occur daily, eat a banana or two, or three, a day and see how that works. Again, hydration is also important.

If you have chronic leg cramps and are not working Hardin the heat where swearing is the problem I would suggest seeing ypur MD. Could be low potassium due to some other cause and a potassium supplement via prescription could neon order. That is a last resort as the potassium tabs, or caps, you get on prescription have WAY more potassium than even 2 or 3 bananas.
    This is VERY true. Hypokalemia is the name for "low potassium". Muscles need it to function, so everything from your leg muscles to your heart and even your bowels are affected. Some people need the prescription potassium pills. My doc said I couldn't eat enough banannas to get my potassium up into the proper range, so I take the horse pills.

I really hate HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE - the pills and diuretics are hard on nearly everything else.

Boolit Grand Master

The wife gets leg cramps occasionally, and bananas is the solution. Potassium.

Of course, bananas are pretty radioactive due to the K-40, but since our bodies are
    made to REQUIRE potassium and all postassium has a fraction of K-40, there is nothing
    to be done about it.

I just thought it would freak some folks out. Folks get really wrapped around
    the axle when somebody says "radiation" !!! Boo!

A truck load of bananas will set of radiation detectors, really.

I'll bet you'll ALL freak if I said that a moderate continuous dose of radiation, well above
    most background radiation, is really GOOD for you, prevents cancer and prevents birth
    defects.

I'm trying to guess how many will say I'm nuts.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    And don't ever forget that too much potassium is just as bad. A large dose of potassium can be used in lethal injection. Stops the heart cold.

Boolit Master

I have leg cramp issues after hard work out and about or a big sweaty day ( I sweat like a racehorse) but dilute gator aid (1/3 strength) takes care of it.
    July and August can have one "stewing in their own juices around here and electrolyte loss is a BIG issue for me.

Banana is really good too.

No matter the source of your electrolytes, start with some before, use throughout and then some after.

There are other sports drinks out there and most likely do what they advertise.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-29-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    Drink pickle juice it works

Boolit Buddy
    Usually magnesium, potassium, and calcium, in that order. I believe most of the population walks around magnesium deficient. Potassium deficiency is almost always a drug side effect.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    I am guilty of not drinking enough water. Bananas do not help the leg and feet cramps for me. Big glass of water before bedtime (with enough time for a pit stop too) and I sleep with no cramps.

'Course, I'm not sure what causes all these cramps in my head........ since it only happens after an hour or so in front of the computer.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Grand Master

So nobody bites on the radioactive thing?

Think I'm kidding or just don't care?

Bananas are good for you, and they are radioactive.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the bananas and they took a while to work.

I tried the put a bar of ivory soap under the sheets when you go to sleep, it helped.

But my dad told me of an old remedy and it worked instantly.

Take a mouthful of yellow mustard. Swallow. Go back to bed.
    The taste isn't so hot, but it does work.

It's hard to argue with success.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.