WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 1000 should I do it??

Boolit Buddy

Lee Pro 1000 should I do it??

I am in need of a press that I can load some ammo quick, I am pretty sure I want this press but need some encouragement/guidance.
    The price is 153.00 new with .38 spl dies and I want to also load 9mm, 40 cal and .223 and as far as I know I can do it all just might need an extra shell plate or turret plate.
    I currently have a single stage press which does the job but.....
    I was recently given a posness warren shotgun press probably is the cause for me to be looking for a faster way to load a center fire.
    All suggestions or advice is appreciatted.

Boolit Master
    I am not a fan of my loadmaster. Look on youtube for CowboyT's video. He has everthing you ever wanted to know on the pro1000.

Hi! I have a Pro 1000 when I started reloading 30 yrs ago. They are affordable machines for what I could afford at that time. Loaded several thousand 45 acp. 9mm, 380 acp. on the Pro 1000. The priming system is finicky. It does the job for loading. I had some good ammo loaded on it and when I could afford a better machine I bought Dillon SDB press and have been using it ever since . My Pro 1000 is somewhere in my shed gathering dust and rust. I might bring it back on the reloading table when I start reloading 9mm's again. Good luck and pleasurable reloading.

If you are the sort of person who expects to be able to bolt a press to the bench and have it producing perfect results immediately, don't get one.

If you are a tinkerer and don't mind taking some time and effort to get it set up and learning it's quirks, it will be a good press for you.

Boolit Master
    It will do the job, it will require some tinkering, they can be finicky, but with carefull operation and attention to detail it will do well. I've had two for about 25 years.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

hi Newcaster, Like Hard Colt above I have a pro1000 in my garage. It is set up for .45ACP's
    I learned loading on it; got it from a kindly old bullseye shooter who also sold me his Gold Cup as he was getting poor eyesight. Anyway it is a finiky press. As time went on I took things off of it; first the case loader and loaded by hand one at a time, then the boolit loader, same deal, finally i stopped trying to deprime and prime in it. All too much bother with set backs at almost every session. Now proud owner of two Dillons; one a 550and one 450, with mods. What a pleasure.

Happy Trails to you,

Max

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I am not a fan of my loadmaster. Look on youtube for CowboyT's video. He has everthing you ever wanted to know on the pro1000.
    I spent four hours watching those videos today, I'm ready to buy just lookin for all of your advice here on CB

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Norbrat View Post
    If you are the sort of person who expects to be able to bolt a press to the bench and have it producing perfect results immediately, don't get one.

If you are a tinkerer and don't mind taking some time and effort to get it set up and learning it's quirks, it will be a good press for you.
    I don't mind tinkering but do mind altering...

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I don't want this taken the wrong way. I'm glad when people decide to take up reloading! I think there is to much importance given in this hobby with rounds produced per hour,shall we say. If you are just starting out that little item needs to be at the bottom of your list!

Ok,to your question. I would not get the LEE 1000. I would get the LEE Classic Turrent Press. You can start out using it as a single stage and as your knowledge increases you can pick up production and it will make all the ammo you can ever need and you will have a lot more fun! Trust me!
    Last edited by seagiant; 04-22-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    i bought a Lee Pro 1000 and fooled around with it for several years. Sometimes the ammo was great other times not. Too temperamental for me. I bought a 650 and life is better. I gave the lee to my brother in law along with about 7 or 8 complete caliber changes including powder measures a few years ago, and he hardly speaks to me anymore. His ammo sucks too!! My advice is to save up for a Dillon and it will last you the rest of your life. Just my .02, Rod

Boolit Master
    You posted you have a Ponsness Warren press. Which one? I love the 375c model. I will be looking at a progressive version next year.

It sounds like you made up your mind on your press purchase. Cowboy T does an excellent job on the videos that keep the Pro 1000 running. Unfortunately, the press has it's fans and it's enemies. I don't care to get my equipment running (as in tinkering to function), which means I would rather tinker in another direction. I just load an go and no, I don't own a Pro 1000.

There are limitations of every press made but you are doing 223 and some pistol. Not a big deal.

Some guys like turret presses and others loathe them. I do not own one as a strict definition of turret press.

Good luck on your purchase and may the reloading Gods smile on you.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Once you fiddle and get it rolling the important thing is to stroke the handle up and down the exact same way every single time. You *must* be attuned to how *it* wants to run.

Depend on if you have an affinity for mechanicals, if so, it can be worth the money saved.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

In Remembrance

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by newcastter View Post
    Did you even read my question?? Please take your suggestions to another page where someone who doesn't know anything might think you do...
    Who the hell do you think you are posting that kind of a BS response to a well-thought out, reasonable suggestion and recommendation?

That is NOT how we deal with each other here and not how we'll EVER deal with each other.

Furthermore, that is the kind of garbage that gets you put on Ignore Lists, or, outright banned.

You wanna be quick in the mouth, take it to another forum.

Last edited by Recluse; 02-20-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    After looking at some of his other posts, I get a vision of a boat sailing into the sea with a lone person on it, and no one shedding a tear, nor waving goodbye.
    If that is how he addresses people, I'm sure he will find a more comfortable board elsewhere.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If that is how he addresses people, I'm sure he will find a more comfortable board elsewhere.
    And the sooner the better.

He reminds of that nimrod over on the PA board who had it all figured out about cast bullets, BHN, lube etc and tried to drag a good company's name through the mud. You remember--the guy who said that the smaller and harder the bullet, the LESS leading there would be.

As soon as we hear this guy's been reloading for twenty years, we'll know I guess.

Boolit Buddy

I was definately out of line, I will be the first to admit I have nothing to blame it on except for "late night" still no excuse
    I am thankful for this forum as I came into reloading with no mentors and I was lucky enough to stumble across this forum
    I am sorry I offended any of you which I am sure I did as sometimes I can be an idiot, thanks for all your input.
    Last edited by newcastter; 02-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    I was definately out of line, I will be the first to admit I have nothing to blame it on except for "late night" still no excuse
    I am thankful for this forum as I came into reloading with no mentors and I was lucky enough to stumble across this forum
    I am sorry I offended any of you which I am sure I did as sometimes I can be an idiot, thanks for all your input.
    Takes a big man to admit his mistakes...........

Back to the subject at hand. If you know how to ballance 12 carburators on a Ferrari V-12, you are a candidate for a Lee1000.........
    If you can take a Rolex watch apart and put it back together, you are a candidate for a Lee1000...............
    If you don't mind the occasonal squib load, followed by a double charge......You are a candidate.....

You get the picture........Inexpensive, full auto, progressive loader.....

I have a bunch of them and load thousands upon thousands of rounds with them, but it is not unlike playing a concert grand piano! Lots of mechanical "fiddling" required...

Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy

I am sure I can handle the mechanical fiddling although the double charges are not something that encourages me but I am interested in the inexpensive progressive.
    I have been reloading for about 3 years now with still a ton to learn but I would like to be able to crank out 500rnds in hours instead of days with my single stage, however I normally clean my brass in cleaning media then deprime then polish in polishing media so my process will have to change a bit.

Banned

Just get one, follow CowboyT's advise, and find out for yourself. I have four of them, and no Dillons, though they're great machines and I've used several of them on occasion. I'm also an ASE Master, L1 certified automotive, diesel, and equipment technician. Fiddling is my middle name, Cheap is my last name.

Gear

Banned
    The chain operated measure reduces the double charge syndrome.