Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cast in #1MK3 SMLE

Boolit Master

Cast in #1MK3 SMLE

Finally got a good day and out of the shop before dark to go try some loads. I've tried a lot of the suggested loadings that shoot well in the #4s but I sure haven't had a lot of luck with this thing with cast. It shoots J-words very well so I don't think there is a problem with the barrel. 2400 and 4759 showed the most promise last night. Both powders had a really nice group with some flyers spreading the group out some. The groups were 10 shots. The 4759 loading had 6 rounds in about an 1 1/2 inchs and the remaining 4 shots took the group to about 5 inches. I don't know when the flyers occured because I was steppin and fetchin to get setup and didn't have the spotting scope set up. I thought that I would try going both ways on this load (20gr) and see what I can come up with.
    Anybody had any experience or similar problem with theirs? I think that the barrels are lighter on the #1s and that might play into it. Oh yeh the boolit is the Lyman 314299. Any help woud be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bob

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Finally got a good day and out of the shop before dark to go try some loads. I've tried a lot of the suggested loadings that shoot well in the #4s but I sure haven't had a lot of luck with this thing with cast. It shoots J-words very well so I don't think there is a problem with the barrel. 2400 and 4759 showed the most promise last night. As long as the groups are good and are round. Both powders had a really nice group with some flyers spreading the group out some. The groups were 10 shots. The 4759 loading had 6 rounds in about an 1 1/2 inchs and the remaining 4 shots took the group to about 5 inches. I don't know when the flyers occured because I was steppin and fetchin to get setup and didn't have the spotting scope set up. I thought that I would try going both ways on this load (20gr) and see what I can come up with.
    Anybody had any experience or similar problem with theirs? I've found that when this happens, the boolit is undersize a little. You need a bigger boolit or a softer one that will slug up! There is a GB going on now for a larger 30 caliber boolit that is a 311407 on steriods and should cast at 0.318" which will fit the larger throats of the British rifles. I think that the barrels are lighter on the #1s and that might play into it. Oh yeh the boolit is the Lyman 314299. Any help woud be appreciated.

Boolit Master

I'll take a look at that. This mold actually throws a 315 bullet though and I just fill the lube groves.

Bob

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    If the nose doesn't engrave, it is too small and you will need to get a boolit that will. Perhaps you have the 323470 boolit. Any of the loverin 8mm boolits can be sized in a push thru die to fit most Enfields.