Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MCD ProductsInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you were to...What would you pick now?

Banned

If you were to...What would you pick now?

If you were to start all over, knowing what you know now and how you do things, what priming system would you choose?

My current method of priming cases is dead and I need a new method. So any recommendations need to be for products I can get now.

I see hand primers, some Cpress type primers, the ones that use the plastic sleeves with the primers all in a row etc...

I'm looking for one and wonder what is out there and what is good.

Lets hear your choice and pics on what you're talking about usually help me.

I have an RCBS single stage press, that's pretty much it.

For everything that I do not load on my Hornady LNL progressive , I use an older LEE hand tool . It may not be fancy-shmancy but does the job it was made to! The only upgrade that I see in the future is the newest model with the larger ergonomic shaped handle , and since they changed the primer trays so Federal containers are not a pain to use it is even better. Just my 2 cents.Ymmv

Boolit Master

I also use the older Lee hand primer, which is the only thing w/ the name "Lee" on it allowed in my house.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    I use to prime exclusively on my RCBS JR but now, I use either the old style Lee hand prime or the beefier RCBS hand primer that is similar to the Lee. I like to feel the primers seating. Recently picked up a Hollywood Turret with only a shotgun priming system, however I don't feel handicapped at all being stuck with the hand priming option.

Winelover
    Last edited by winelover; 02-12-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: fat-fingering

Boolit Master
    I really like my auto prime II,and if only a few cases my ram prime, real easy to seat the primers and you can feel the primers being seated all the way.

Dillon 1050, set it and forget it. Crimped primers, no problem it swages them. High primers because you didn't push forward enough, not if you prime on the down stroke.

For just priming, its a tad on the expensive side.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I use the RCBS bench tool DJ but not with the strips but the tubes. It has good feel and is pretty fast. I also have a couple of the hand units but never seem to get the life out of them. The CO-AX is another nice bench tool.

Boolit Master

I use the Forster. Have bought three of them since about 1970. Love it. See no reason to try anything else.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I would repurchase the K&M Deluxe Priming Tool and the RCBS hand strip priming tool. If I had to do it again, the RCBS Pro 2000 press utilizing the strip primer concept.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Master

I wouldn't trade my Sinclair priming tool for any other. I actually enjoy using it. Is it the fastest or easiest?? Nope. I love it. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Dillon 1050, set it and forget it. Crimped primers, no problem it swages them. High primers because you didn't push forward enough, not if you prime on the down stroke.

For just priming, its a tad on the expensive side.
    LOL! Was thinking the same thing. For everything else, I prefer the RCBS APS (plastic strip system).

Boolit Master
    I like my lee classic press and classic turrent presses. I just hand place them and prime on the down stroke after sizing. I lost too many with the autoprime and safty prime systems. .the hand prime wore out my tumbs.
    The prime system on my loadmaster STINKS.

If I had to do it all over I just would have gotten a 550B!

Boolit Master
    The 550 is not without sin regarding the priming shuttle bar system. Have to keep it clean. The 650 priming system is way better.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I have two Lee round tray primers, was given a Lee square tray, and recently bought a Lyman ram prime. The Lee's can become tiring and seating Wolf primers can be rather difficult, and the square tray version is a joke. The Lyman runs a bit slower than the Lee's. Of the three, I prefer the Lyman. In fact, I perfer it so much that I bought the extra parts to make switching from one primer size to the other easier and faster. I suspect that the RCBS and Lee ram primers work equally well, I just happened to get a good deal on the Lyman.

Boolit Grand Master

Older style Lee hand press for me. I bought a couple extra ones for parts and to heep one for each size of primer.
    If you are going to make a hole in something. MAKE IT A BIG ONE!

Boolit Master
    My first press was a Lyman Spar-T, included their 'auto-primer feed' device. It worked well and the brass primer feed tubes fed reliably; I liked it then ('65) and like it now for anything but the most precise rifle loading work.

Eventually got two Lee Autoprimes ('88), set up one for large and one for small caps. I've been using them without a problem. But when something doesn't feel right, I stop and find out why rather than continuing to try to jam the primer in and knowing that could break the lever; sometimes there's a sideways cap, sometimes the primer pocket crimp isn't reamed very well, sometimes the pocket needs the attention of a pocket uniformer. Never have I had a problem with the Lee priming tools themselves.

I liked the original Autoprimes so well I eventually got a Lee Autoprime II and a little Lee "Reloader" press for a dedicated repriming system and love it when I do large quanities. But for reasons I can't imagine, the AP IIs didn't capture enough of the market to stay in production. However, if I had it to do over and could only have ONE repriming tool it would be another AP II.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee hand primer tool. Any brand hand primer that you like the feel of would be a good choice. You can take it to the TV room or the front porch when the weather is nice.

I prefer to not touch each primer when putting them on the press primer arm therefore I use the hand tool...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I use to prime exclusively on my RCBS JR but now, I use either the old style Lee hand prime or the beefier RCBS hand primer that is similar to the Lee. I like to feel the primers seating. Recently picked up a Hollywood Turret with only a shotgun priming system, however I don't feel handicapped at all being stuck with the hand priming option.

Winelover

is that RCBS hand primer the one that uses the auto strips?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    I would repurchase the K&M Deluxe Priming Tool and the RCBS hand strip priming tool. If I had to do it again, the RCBS Pro 2000 press utilizing the strip primer concept.

take care,

r1kk1
    how do those strips hold up? how do you fill them? I presume they are reusable

Boolit Master
    I still like my Ram Prime, RCBS. I like it for the revolvers because there are no high primers. You set it once to seat .004" below case head and it's set, forever! I tightened the set screws on mine over ten years ago, never changed. I use a seperate press and leave it set up.
    But, I think there are faster ways than one at a time. There just aren't any more secure than this.