Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 303 British mold ideas

Boolit Master

303 British mold ideas

I have a mold for the 8MM and can't find something like it for the 303.
    It is an old Idea mold and cast a 220 grain boolit.
    When looking at different mold shops there are several listed but they have flatpoints,not like a fmj.
    Also what types are suitable for this Smle.

Boolit Master

plainsman:
    You may want to start by slugging your bore to get the exact dimentions.
    Also, it is a good idea to fit the chamber with the boolit, and let the bore squeeze the boolit
    down to fit.
    With that being said, you may want to start with the Lyman 314299 mould. You can size it
    down some if it is a little too big for chambering.
    Jack
    Last edited by littlejack; 02-08-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 220 grain rn fp that I had Mountain Moulds make up for my Argentine rifle that drops a bullet at 312 and on the smaller 303's it is a perfect hunting bullet. For target work I like the Lee 165 spire point that they use in the sks, with 12.5 of Red Dot it is deadly accurate. For the oversize bores I size down the Lee 8mm bullets that are too small .324 for most of the 8's I size and lube to 323 and then step them down in push through dies to 318 and they work fine in the two groove and really wide 303's.

Boolit Master
    NOE 316299

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Grand Master

+1 for the NOE 316299:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=134239

If you want heavier CBE makes them to suit .303.

Longbow

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman456 View Post
    When looking at different mold shops there are several listed but they have flatpoints,not like a fmj.
    So, you want a spire point, not a FP?

In Remembrance

Send a throat slug to Veral Smith at LBT and have him cut a mould to fit the throat of your rifle at the weight you want. Veral's moulds will shoot the best with most powders and totally change your mind about using cast bullets. Even better get his book: " Jacketed bullet velocities with cadt bullets" and learn a whole bunch about shooting and reloading.

Boolit Master
    Not really needing a non flat point but I just like the way that the Ideal mold #323-471 looks.
    When sizing them down the lube groves almost disappear.They have shot ok but I have been worried about that.
    I have a few 30 caliber molds that I will play with and that NOE mold sure looks good.

Boolit Master
    I tried sized down 8mm's yesterday and they didn't group at all,like posted above the grooves all but disappear. Pat

Boolit Master
    yea NOE 316299 works for my Brits....
    Last edited by adrians; 05-03-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman456 View Post
    You might try that 8mm bullet sized down to fit your .303. I regularly size these two 8mm bullets down to .314, .316 and .318 for use in oversize .31s. The bullets are sized to .325, GC'd and lubed before being sized down in push through sizers. I can easily size them straight down from .325 to .314 in one sizing. As you can see, when lubed before sizing the lube grooves stay intact and with the old Ideal 323471 (left bullet) even the top grooves are still there.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-17-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've got a lyman 316475 that s shoots really well if you should come across one. Dan
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Scroll down on Tertle's website at this link to see the range of .303 Brit moulds Jim at CBE has on offer ex Australia. I have the 313 220, 315 175, 313 215, 315 240 and all shoot great.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Well I found a mold in my stash that cast a 185+- boolit and they sized down real pretty.
    Tomorrow they will be shot with 26.0 grains of SR 4759.
    They came from the mold 318 and went to 314 with no problems,the grooves are still intact,lubed with 2500+.
    Can't wait.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    You might try that 8mm bullet sized down to fit your .303. I regularly size these two 8mm bullets down to .314, .316 and .318 for use in oversize .31s. The bullets are sized to .325, GC'd and lubed before being sized down in push through sizers. I can easily size them straight down from .325 to .314 in one sizing. As you can see, when lubed before sizing the lube grooves stay intact and with the old Ideal 323471 (left bullet) even the top grooves are still there.

Larry Gibson
    never entered my head to use the 323471 , i'm going to try that szed to .314.
    i wonder if my .314 lee push through will do it in one swipe, probably have to run them through the old 45 down to .319 and then go to the lee.
    larry,, they run through the lee in one pass thats even better.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master

Ya'll,

Accurate Moulds no. 32-220B, a Lyman 323471 clone flanked by NOE316299 at left, NOE311284 right. WW yields a .318" diameter boolit. Had this made for a Faz No.4 Mk.I . You may size this boolit to .316" without fear of collapsing the drive bands, IF the loob grooves are first filled with loob.

There is a thread in "molds, maintainance & design" about fat .30 boolits for use in SMLE, M-N, etc. OY! but the images are big. A didgi photographer I am not.

Hoard yer Pb,
    Wt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shooten stuff 001.jpg  

Boolit Master
    nice,, i have the two flankers but that accurate is a great looker .
    which gives the best results ,? probably all three huh!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Scroll down on Tertle's website at this link to see the range of .303 Brit moulds Jim at CBE has on offer ex Australia. I have the 313 220, 315 175, 313 215, 315 240 and all shoot great.
    +1 on what Jeff wrote!

Boolit Master

Smile "...flankers..."

Quote Originally Posted by adrians View Post
    nice,, i have the two flankers but that accurate is a great looker .
    which gives the best results ,? probably all three huh!
    NOE 316299 and Lithgow No.1 Mk.III are a happy combination. A Parker-Hale PH5A gives a great advantage over the issue sights. Improvements would be a better skilled shooter\owner

32-220B and Faz No.4 Mk.I are still testing.

NOE 311284 and M1917 did not materialise. Have the 311284, but not the M1917. Better luck next time..

Wt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walltube View Post
    NOE 316299 and Lithgow No.1 Mk.III are a happy combination. A Parker-Hale PH5A gives a great advantage over the issue sights. Improvements would be a better skilled shooter\owner

32-220B and Faz No.4 Mk.I are still testing.

NOE 311284 and M1917 did not materialise. Have the 311284, but not the M1917. Better luck next time..

Wt.
    i was looking for a PH5A for my ishy ( 7.62) but couldn't find one within my budget at the time , then when i had the coin i couldn't find one so i bought a Rawson aperture instead ( australian i believe,?) this sight with the six hole adjustable peep is awesome and looks great , a big help with my ageing eyes over stock irons.
    Walltube i just noticed that you say the Accurate is a clone of the 323471 ,so i have all three.