RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Which Digital Powder Scale

Boolit Bub

Which Digital Powder Scale

Hi,
    Just getting into reloading and while I have a RCBS 10-10, I'd like to get a digital scale as well for a 'second opinion'.

Is the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 a reasonably decent scale for $20 or should I be looking at something else.

I'll mainly be loading 357mag/45 colt for rifles. (with an occasional 30 caliber thrown in)

Boolit Master
    The only balances that I see as being worth buying, beam or digital, cost at least $80.
    Be sure that the balance is accurate to 0.1gn (+/- 0.05gn). Some of the cheaper units are only good for 0.2gn.
    Also, the inexpensive balances often are not well shielded from interference.

Banned

Boolit Master

Try Brian Enos web site. (Dillon Equipment) He has a reasonable one that's NOT a Dillon.

Boolit Master
    I tried using an electronic scale, but soon discovered it was very slow to react to trickled powder, the 30-second auto-shutoff was aggravating, and dealing with batteries was frustrating. Now, it's only use is to weigh boolits.

If you are determined to buy one, get one that is AC-operated and is well shielded against any form of electrical interference.

Gravity is free and infallible.

Boolit Master
    Digitals are okay for weighting bullets and cases; no guns will get damaged if that's a bit off.

I'm a retired precision electronic instrument tech and long time reloader who has never gotten the fasination some have for digital gimmicks of any kind.

Boolit Master

I have had and verified several RCBS 5-0-5 scales I still own two. When I started Swaging I bought a RCBS Range master it was a lot more expensive than I was comfortable paying. If I am weighing my powder charges I much prefer my 5-0-5 if I am weighing boolits i prefer my Range Master. I got the range master because I wanted a digital scale that wouldnt shut its self off to save batteries and I wanted a scale that i could plug in. I dont want to have to dig up batteries when Im loading or swaging and then say Oh darn my battery is dead or weak I need a new one and instead of loading swaging or casting I am making a trip to the store for batteries.
    My .02 if its worth it.

Boolit Master
    I purchased a $20 electronic one about 5 years ago from fleabay. I may have gotten lucky with the one I got. Every time I have checked it with the weight check set it is within 0.1 grains.

It is not good for powder trickling as mentioned in another post. It is affected by a slight breeze as from a fan. Mine seems unaffected by ambient temperature.

I still adjust the powder measure using an RCBS 10-10. I use the electronic one as a cross check on the RCBS to ensure I did not mess up the setting. I also use the electronic one to measure each loaded round and sometimes cast bullets.
    ph4570

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys. Plenty of food for thought. Let me look for the plug-in kind so I don't have to deal with batteries.

I use the RCBS 505 scale for reloading. I use the RCBS digital scale for bullet weights as others do. The problem I have with the digital scale is that I must re-zero the scale every time I want to weigh something. It is a royal pain. I am not happy with the digital scale. The beam scale may seem primitive and slow but it doesn't give me any grief. I will say this. They both agree when I compare powder loads which gives me reasonable assurance they are somewhat accurate.

Boolit Master

I use the Frankford Arsenal DS-750. I've had it about 2 years now and am happy with it. I use it for sorting bullets and to set my Uniflow measure. Once set, I check the Uniflow with my RCBS balance. I have found they agree to within +/- 0.1 grains. The Frankford is not suitable for trickling powder as ph4570 noted.

Boolit Bub
    I use a RCBS 502 balance and a RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital. Both are very accurate and I would reccommend either of them.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product.aspx?i=14859&sb=1

If I had not already got a Range Master 750 I would get this scale.

Boolit Grand Master

All I do for mine is tap the scale when I trickle to make it reregister again. I don't trickle that often as I find accuracy is good enough for me without. If I was into the bench accuracy, I would use a beam instead. If I was to do it over again, I'd get one of those charge mast combos. I here RCBS makes a good one.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    I have the RCBS Chargemaster 1500.
    It is the autoscale. I love it.
    I checked it's accuracy against my Forster beam scale reading a live beam.. and it is excellent.
    In fact, it's resolution is finer than the Forster. I can weigh 50 gr out of the autoscale to the Forster and it reads 50 every time. But when I trickle 50 into the Forster and check it on the RCBS... I get 50.4, 49.6... etc. The electronic has a finer resolution than a swinging beam!
    Yes, I found it very difficult to believe... but there it is.
    So any RCBS digital should be right in there.
    ---TIP--- Static can interfere... wipe it down with a bounce fabric softener sheet... troubles evaporate.