Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1A vs HK-91

Boolit Master
    I still own both, the HK and an M1-A Standard. The HK is cool. Lots of movie advertisement. M1-A is American, sure. But I still own and shoot my my other foreign rifles and HK is still producing the semi 300 win sniper rifles for the German Special Forces. I dont think that one of the oldest weapons manufacturers is going anywhere any time soon. Now my favorite is the M1-A. I cant say one will outshoot the other. I cant shoot irons all that well. I can say that I enjoy the M1-A more. It is more comfortable to shoot, carry and operate. And to tell the truth, I like hearing that "CHING" of the op rod following the bolt forward. Silly I know, but I like hearing it.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

I am very old fashioned. Shot the HK on time and had enough of that recoiling son of a gun. I do have an M1 and FNFAL. The M1 is my favorite to shoot and is an adequate battle rifle yet today. The FN is not as comfortable to carry but is a superior fighting weapon. An M!A is on my "gonagetone list."

Boolit Master

HK 91: complex and problematic

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I have owned and shot both. The HK91 is a well made rifle but I didn't care for the sights and charging handle placement. I have kept the M1-A because it fits me better and is more ergonomically comfortable to me.
    I qualified with M14 in US Army and G3 with West German Army. I have seen the G3 fail in the desert and fail in SE Asia. I was issued a HK 33 once in a classified assignment and its trustworthy but complex and not that accurate.

I know this HK system and its not as accurate as the M14, not does it have the great sights like the M14. The HK 91 has awkward operating features, is bulky and
    rugged but its not as reliable, as accurate and user friendly to operate as the M14.

I won't own a G3, HK 91 or 93 or 33. The ergonomics just suck for a infantry rifle.

Make your own choice: my thoughts of military experience with both mirror those who have commented on these same features: you have civilian and military advice to consider.

Boolit Master
    I did not mention the FN FAL. Its got everything ergonomically over the M14 for a combat infantry rifle but... it suffers from a barrel and sights that don't do it justice. Its sight radius is another issue that compounds its half great sights. If accuracy counts, the M14 is superior but its not by any means the simple, trustworthy design of the FN FAL.

Owning both, they both are not perfect. For matches I prefer the M14 / M1A. To take into combat, the FN FAL.

Boolit Master

You might consider the LMT 308 MWS.

I qualified with M14 in US Army and G3 with West German Army. I have seen the G3 fail in the desert and fail in SE Asia. I was issued a HK 33 once in a classified assignment and its trustworthy but complex and not that accurate.
    I am dismayed to read of the G3 failing. I do see pictures of Pakistani soldiers with the things, for a 308 rifle, I think more countries have made and adopted the HK91 than any other 308. The FAL was purchased by a lot, but I think the HK91 was made by more.

I belive the most important parameter for the HK91/G3 rifles was their ease of production. The designers had the experience of WW2, where entire German armies vanished, with their equipment, into the vastness of Russia. They came out of that war with a changed view point about the lifetime of equipment and soldiers. They decided that it did not make sense to build an expensive rifle that would last 100 years if the lifetime of the German carrying it was 9 months. I believe the whole philosophy was to build rifles faster than they lost them, and I don’t think the HK91 was intended to be rebuilt.

For a rifle designed to be built cheap, it works. It is very simple to take apart, has minimum features. No bolt hold open device, simple cocking mechanism. The sighting system is adequate for a combat weapon, not in the same league as the M1a rear sights with its precise and exacting adjustment of elevation and windage. The designers realized that in a major war soldiers would be not be marksman, at best , they would time to teach recruits how their weapons functioned, and how to clean them. Then they would be shipped off to the front. This was the American experience in WW2 according to a couple of WW2 vets. My uncle had 8 rounds with his M1919 machine gun before he dropped over Normandy, another gentleman had 20 rounds with a carbine then he went second wave in the invasion of Iwo Jima. The latter GI told me he zero’d his carbine in combat! When he left boot, and before he got on his ship, he was given a carbine that he had not fired at all. With cannon fodder like this, simple is good, and the HK sights are simple.

The trigger on a HK91 can be adjusted to an excellent crisp pull.

The M1a is an expensive rifle, a precise rifle, I think it is the best 308 military rifle made.

But the HK91 is fine for its purposes.

Boolit Mold
    I don't own an M1A, but have fired them often (never had an M4 or M16 on any ship I served in until 2007) and have found them to be reliable and accurate.

I have owned a PTR-91 for several years. Mine has a surplus Hensoldt 4-power scope on it. I also have a .22 conversion kit, as well as a light (blowback, not roller-locked) bolt for use with surplus plastic training ammo, which is still available for around 17 cents a round, and is very accurate out to about 75 yards. I keep some on hand to use when I don't have time to reload.

I believe either one is a great choice.

HK91 / G3 and clones.
    The G3 would probably make a good post-SHTF weapon, but they’re full auto and Uncle Sam says you can’t have one. Because he said so and because “he’s the uncle”. Well, you could get one if you sold your house and lived in your car to pay for it, but that’s pretty much the same thing. The good news is that you could get a semi-automatic version like the HK91 or PTR-91 (and they’re black, a major improvement on the original CETME design). The major complaint about this design is that it has stuff like a fluted chamber and a roller-delayed blowback action, making it too exotic for a viable SHTF weapon, Also rust can be a problem in wet climates. This gun was a pattern for the M16 accessory line - Yes an HK poster was on the wall of COLT when they were designing the M16 addon barbie parts. The other major drawback reported about this German improvement on the CETME design is that it’s not an M1A or a FAL.
    Actually the Germans ordered FN FALs as the G1 but the Belgians refused to deliver more after the initial order to their ex-uninvited house guests.

FN FAL / STG58 / L1A1 / T-48 Battle Rifle
    - Right arm of the Free World during Cold war era used by over 90 countries.
    20 round and 30 round mags available look for the aluminum ones.
    Build it your self capable with very limited resources - not quite as easy as an AR as you do have to headspace it, but not too far off either.

Two verisons, Metric used by majority of the world and Inch pattern used by UK, Aussie's, and Canuk's. You can find parts/kits/Rifles from many countries from Africa to South America to USA. In models with heavy barrel to light weight short barrel/ folding stock Para trooper models.

2 MOA or under rifle generally on surplus ammo with high reliabilty and adjustable gas sytem along with soft recoil and "used to be" inexpensive purchase price and build- able to have optic's added without major problems and low to the bore, basic iron sights included (think early model of AR sights vs A2 version on M14 type rifle).

The FAL is the freemason of rifles. Though you don’t run into them often, they’re reported to be everywhere and secretly control the world of guns. This explains why FAL owners tend to worship their rifles, often converting their gun cabinets into FAL shrines and performing bizarre candlelit rituals before their rifle, which only the initiated understand. For the uninitiated, the upside is that the FAL can be found in black furniture and has hi-cap magazines. FAL owners tend to taunt AR owners about their “poodle shooter” calibers, touting the ability of the .308 to penetrate such obstacles as trees. While this puzzles some, I suspect that the members of the FAL cult may have some mysterious knowledge that common gun owners do not. Perhaps when the SHTF and hordes of trees rise up to destroy the human race we will all wish we had a FAL.

M1A/M14 semi
    - US military battle rifle - when tuned by a good Armory staff you can shoot under 1 MOA with match ammo. 20 round mags generally offered - Precision Iron sights included not as friendly to mounting a scope. I think of these to be made into marksman/sniper rifles and not abuse as I would a FAL. Advantage in use in CMP matches.

The M1A is the ultimate SHTF rifle. We know this because M1A owners remind us of this constantly. Like the FAL, the M1A is capable of stopping a tree in its tracks. When the hordes of killer trees take the rest of us, FAL and M1A owners will likely be the only ones left to hash out who has the better rifle. Of course, we know the answer (because M1A owners remind us of it constantly). The M1A not only has superior penetration, it is extremely accurate at distance. Therefore, when the hordes of killer trees have all been mowed down, FAL owners will fall quickly to the hordes of paper silhouette targets come to avenge their woodland brethren. The M1A owners will stop the avenging targets with neat, 1 MOA groups center mass at 600 yards. At that point, the standard M1A owners will have to hash out which is the better gun with the SOCOM 16 owners to determine who will inherit the earth. A glaring design error in the M1A is that it’s not black, which is why they invented the SOCOM.

Clunky, heavy, and overpowered. Essentially a Garand tarted up with a removable magazine, in a half-baked attempt to adapt a 19th century rifle design philosophy to the mid-20th century. Most often named as favorite infantry rifle by people who never had to hump a 10-pound wood-stocked rifle with lots of sharp protrusions and no collapsible anything on a three day exercise, or try to make it through a firefight with the standard battle load of five 20-round magazines.

And for the record I have a two FALs, one M1A, and one HK91.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm of the opinion that you can't go wrong with the classics. That's why I bought an M1A instead of an AR10. Not that I have anything against AR15s -- I have one -- but it's just not as classic as an M1, M1A, or M14.

Boolit Master
    Having owned all of them at one time or the other, I have settled in with a DPMS heavy fluted 24" barrel and MagPul magazines. It shoots sub-moa out to 300yds (as far as I have shot to date) with the BHA 168gr Match Ammunition. A 2-3lb Jewell trigger is on order.

HK's eat brass, and are not very accurate, as a rule. The scope set up is beyond rinky-dink.
    That said, I do own two CETME's and about eighty magazines for them. They are for spares, if I have more people at my house than battle rifles.

The M1A/M14's are a semi-successful attempt to make a Garand an MBR.

FN's are problematic to get parts for, and when you do they are spendy.

The AR-10 platform has the most potential for accuracy, dependability, and cost-effectiveness, IMHO. Easy to mount a scope or BUIS on, and it is what the Brits are using for sniper rifles. We should be too.

Rich

Rich, we are using M110 it's an AR10 in SOCOM drag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_Se..._Sniper_System

Can't agree as to dependability of AR-10/AR16/M16 compared to old school FAL or M14 or G3 in all environments - Loved my HK91 until I hit Arizona dust - Now using FAL's - Have several AR's and used to shoot 3 gun with them - when all is clean works well - one dust devel will just about shut down the shooting line.