RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliper or Micrometer?

Caliper or Micrometer?

Is one better then the other for gun related measuring? I'm looking for a new measuring devise. I have the Harbor Freight digital caliper but it's my second one and I don't trust it's accuracy. It sometimes gets fluky and I have to turn it on and off several times to get it to settle down. I want to get a mechanical tool. No batteries, always works, always accurate. But which on is best? Do I need to spend a lot?

A mic is always going to be more accurate but you would need 2 or three at least to cover the average range(0-1in,1-2in,and2-3in).
    A GOOD quality caliper will be accurate enough for most situations in reloading,as long as care is taken with the amount of pressure applied when measuring. I have a Brown and Sharp and a Mitutoyo digital(batteries)for work and they have no problems with being reliable,so I wouldn't count out a battery powered unit,as long as it is a GOOD quality one.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

I have a RCBS dial caliper. and a vernier Mitutoyo micrometer. Batteries don't die or leak. I am very happy with them. The micrometer is more precise and more expensive. I use the the caliper most of the time as it faster.

Boolit Bub
    You need one of each (my Harbor freight one is doing fine - for now). Check out Amazon for a micrometer that costs around $15 - it is pretty decent at 0.0001 inch.. (vernier micrometer).

Basically, micrometers for diameters and calipers for length/depth measurements.

If you can have only one, get a caliper. Micrometers don't get past 1 inch without heading north on prices, and in a pinch you can use the calipers to get a close enough measurement.

Just understand that at the limit of their resolutions, both devices will waver a little. (and this has more to do with the pressure you apply than with the device itself).

If you really (really) need an accurate measurement, take 5 measurements, drop the highest and lowest and then take the average of the remaining 3.

Boolit Master
    Measure boolit diameters and bore slugs with a micrometer. Calipers will work for measuring cartridge overall length.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Measure boolit diameters and bore slugs with a micrometer. Calipers will work for measuring cartridge overall length.
    yup ,
    both instruments are needed ,in my meager opinion .
    my "weapons " of choice are starretts but there are a few good makers out there, i prefer the " Made In usa " stuff.

Last edited by adrians; 02-05-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master

I have a vernier caliper and use it alot. I'd like to get a ball micrometer for measuring case head expansion, but they are pricey. The caliper works almost as well.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Two different tools two different jobs. You'll need both.
    0-1" Micrometer to measure bullets, bore slug, and case diameter.
    Calipers to measure empty sized cases and loaded rounds lengths.

I was able to buy a micrometer and a dial caliper (both made by Brown & Sharpe) second hand for less than $20 each with the shipping on eBay.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I do my own machine work and noticed that something that hasn't been mentioned....calibration.

Both micrometers and dial calipers should be checked periodically for accuracy. Usually a "standard" is used for this and consists of a simple, straight and expensive rod of steel that is a PRECISE length. Both the rod and the micrometer should be the same room temperature when checking. If the mike is off slightly it can be adjusted to agree with the standard.

O.K....having said that, use a ball bearing of a known size for a standard. They are ground very accurately and will serve the purpose very well for a heck of a lot less money!

Boolit Master

If you want two, buy two. Toys are always good.

My son works in a machine shop. One day he saw a micrometer in the trash barrel and pulled it out. It had a very tiny burr on the anvil. He carefully stoned it off and checked it against a standard. It was right on. He offered it to me for reloading purposes. I used it a couple times and gave it back to him. The tiny little lines gave me fits trying to read.

I've used my Mitutoyo for 30 years now. Plenty accurate for reloading purposes...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

As everyone has stated, you need both. You also need a standard. In my shop I have micrometers that range up to 6 in., also have top quality dial calipers. In my loading room I have a 0 to 1 micrometer with carbide tips, also a ball micrometer. My most used tool for loading is a Harbor Freight vernier [I have 4 ]. At a price of 10-15 dollars each it's no big loss if one falls off the bench on the concrete floor. I check these Harbor Freight verniers constantly with my standard and they have always been very accurate. Usually when one starts to flutter it means the battery is weak and needs replaced. Batteries are available at Walmart for about $5.00 for pack of three. The battery is a #57 and usually last several months if you turn the vernier OFF when not using.

Larry

Longwood
    I bought a NEW pair of calipers from China on ebay.
    I paid a little over $8 shipped.
    No nonsense such as taxes.
    They are the exact same caliper that Home depot sold me for over $40 after the governors cut.
    However, I did not get a fancy case but it just so happens I have another case from a Mitutoyo that I dropped which destroyed it immediately.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post

Batteries are available at Walmart for about $5.00 for pack of three. The battery is a #57 and usually last several months if you turn the vernier OFF when not using.

Larry
    I shop where Walmart shops.
    China!
    Why buy the exact same things after Walmart marks them up several hundred persent?

We can buy G13 batteries for around $5 a hundred I buy the Alkalines which are sooooo much better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    I shop where Walmart shops.
    China!
    Why buy the exact same things after Walmart marks them up several hundred persent?

We can buy G13 batteries for around $5 a hundred I buy the Alkalines which are sooooo much better.
    Tell me where to buy them! Thanks ahead of time.

Larry

Boolit Buddy
    Largom try an ordinary Ebay, just put the type which are you looking for.
    If I were you, I would prefer silver oxide type against alkaline but the price is somewhere else.
    I have caliper and micrometer from china as well and using it with pleasure.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I do my own machine work and noticed that something that hasn't been mentioned....calibration.

Both micrometers and dial calipers should be checked periodically for accuracy. Usually a "standard" is used for this and consists of a simple, straight and expensive rod of steel that is a PRECISE length. Both the rod and the micrometer should be the same room temperature when checking. If the mike is off slightly it can be adjusted to agree with the standard.

O.K....having said that, use a ball bearing of a known size for a standard. They are ground very accurately and will serve the purpose very well for a heck of a lot less money!
    1" mike.
    Check zero when the anvils touch.
    Check with the standard at 1".
    Checking with a ball bearing would only check it at one spot.
    Calipers are all made about the same. Micrometers are another story. Cheap ones don't come with a standard for good reason.
    A cheap Harbor Freight Mike is internally different than a quality mike and can vary too much, probably about as accurate as a caliper.
    Once you learn to use a caliper properly. the caliper wiil be close enough unless you are making precise parts.
    By precise, I mean plus or minus .0001 not .001.

Longwood
    [QUOTE=3006guns;1569668

Both micrometers and dial calipers should be checked periodically for accuracy. Usually a "standard" is used for this and consists of a simple, straight and expensive rod of steel that is a PRECISE length.

So people undersand a little better how accurate quality Micrometters are.
    The "standard" mentioned here, is a piece of 1/4" diameter tool steel ground to "EXACTLY" 1" in a temperature controlled room. They have a thick plastic sleeve molded around them so your body temperature will not effect the length while you are handling them.
    How much could my body temp effect a 1/4" rod 1" long?
    Enough to be way too much for a good machinest.

Boolit Master

You should also check for parallelism and flatness of your anvils from time to time with optical flats you can do the same thing with a small precise ball measure the ball several times in different places on the anvil is should all read the same if it does not your anvil spindle are not in alignment and must be lapped in. or replaced.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    Once you learn to use a caliper properly. the caliper wiil be close enough unless you are making precise parts.
    By precise, I mean plus or minus .0001 not .001.
    Bingo. Calipers are plenty accurate for the reloading process. No need to measure to the nearest .00025" and then jam a slug that is .002-.003" oversize down the barrel...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

If you look at Enco or MSC they often have machinist's starter sets, usually w/a 6" caliper of some type, a 0-1" outside micrometer, a 6" pocket scale, and a case. If you know you're going to buy them all anyway why not get a set at a lower price?