Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortening an old shotgun?

Boolit Master

Shortening an old shotgun?

A friend has an old Ithaca that he wants me to help him with. It's a c.1950 model 37, run of the mill vintage pump 12 gauge, with a stock that needs refinishing and thinning blue.

He wants to make a home-defense gun out of it. I personally have mixed feelings about that because I like these old guns the way they are, but whatever.

I understand that barrel length is measured from the bolt face, correct? I told him minimum 18 1/2" barrel, as I want to stay well clear of any possible legal issues.

He also wants to shorten the stock a little. How short is too short on such a gun, for any sort of comfort? I understand this is measured from trigger to end of stock?

I don't have a lathe, so my thought was to cut with a hacksaw, face with a file (draw filing) as square as possible, then drill and tap for the sight bead, assuming I have the right tap size.

It hurts me a little to start hacking on a neat old gun, but it's far from pristine and they are pretty common.

The federal requirement for a shotgun is 18" barrel measured like you described and 26" OAL. Most people stick with 18.5" barrel length to give a little more insurance.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.

Boolit Grand Master

IIRC - The total length must be over 27".
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I understand about the minimum legal OAL, I was just wondering about the minimum practical OAL. He doesn't want a pistol grip shotgun (I talked him out of that one- pistol grip shotguns are a total joke, in my opinion, only good for looking cool in the movies).

We were wondering about a shortened stock with a good recoil pad, something like 11" or 12". The thought is to have a shorter gun that still has a useable stock. Has anyone used a gun like this? I'm wondering if it would be uncomfortable to the point of impractical.

Boolit Man
    Shorten the barrel (20 is fine IMHO), the stock shorter
    than 13 is unwieldy for most people. Try it longer, you can
    always shorten it if it suits. Keeping a safety margin above
    legal min is a good thing.

As I own 18" and 15" barrels for my Rem 870 clone, I have some patterns to share. The 15" barrel prints 20" pattern at 8-9 yards with 7 1/2. 18" barrel probably prints 17-18" patterns at that range. How practical that is, it is up to the user

Yes, thousands of barrels have been shortened with nothing more than a hacksaw, using a file and a square to true up after sawing. Carefully done, it works for a rifle, where the crown is of far more importance than a shotgun.

Yes, I'd have qualms about messing up a perfectly good Ithaca. Can't you get him to trade it off for a Rem 870 or something?
    Cognitive Dissident

If you are going to cut the bbl, might want to use a pipe cutter and score it first. This should help provide a small channel for the hack saw blade to get a good running start and slide all over the bbl.

Boolit Master

I would be hesitate to shorten the stock much. If your friend is of average build I would try the factory length. If you shorten the stock over two inches you run into the problem that every time you fire the shotgun from your shoulder your thumb will bust you in the nose.
    A shotgun with an 18" barrel is a pretty quick handling firearm.
    +1 on getting a Remington 870. I like the old Ithaca 37.

Boolit Master
    Those are worth money and as was said "A Shame"...

Boolit Buddy
    I've went the pipe cutter route myself and if done slowly you can make the entire cut. Dress it with a round file and some emery cloth and it will turn out fine. I would not touch the stock, in a high stress situation you want a solid feel that is natural feeling, not something that feels any different than your everyday gun you may hunt or shoot with. FWIW I'd find an old beater 870 and use it. Ithaca has reopened for business in Upper Sandusky, OH and the new shotguns are pretty expensive.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Boolit Master

Wow, you guys unhappy about cutting the Ithaca would be really unpleased with the two Winchester model 12's I am working on. Well one right now, if I like it I will do the next one as well. There is just something about a Take-Down parkerized riot-gun.

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone for the advice. You definitely convinced me about the stock.

We're currently considering an easy solution. I have an old Mossberg with the riot barrel that I might just swap. The Mossberg is a solid gun, but I've never really cared for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Cutting the stock makes it FAR harder to control and hit with for most people.

Looks cool, pretty impractical in real life.

I really do like the swap idea rather than butchering up a nice old gun.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Man
    I have customers come in occasionally wanting collectible shotguns shortened and I advise them to find a replacement barrel first (or I'll find one for them)Then I'll cut the replacement.They always thank me later.

Boolit Master

The serial number is within a few thousand of mine. I looked up mine somewhere online a couple years ago and it was made in '49 (my favorite shotgun). I helped another friend repair the cracked stock on his, and IIRC it was made in the early '40s.

I recently bought an old Remington 721 that dates to '55. It's funny how one's interests change over time. Lately I've appreciated vintage guns from that era, especially if they can be had cheap and aren't too messed up.

I know from a collecting standpoint it would be smarter to buy nicer specimens, but I don't have the financial wherewithal to call myself a "collector", so I'm content to buy what I can afford.

Boolit Master

You might be VERY surprised how valuable "cheap" firearms become if they suddenly become interesting. Just look at how the prices of old Winchester Lever-Guns or almost any U.S. Military firearm have gone up. It was not that long ago, or so I have heard, that you could find barrels full of 1917 rifles at the Montgomery Ward's for $17 each.

Collect what YOU like and enjoy. Who knows maybe you will end up having fun AND making a good investment.

Ithaca 37 barrels aren't that easy to find and are lots more pricey than others when you do. A 37 made in 1950 has a barrel that is hand fitted to the receiver, meaning replacements have to be hand fitted as well.

IMO, hacking the barrel down on one of these is a bad idea and will certainly reduce the value of the gun. He's better off buying an 870 or a mossberg 500/590. Barrels and replacement parts are easier to find and much cheaper.
    Machinists do it with precision.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    A friend has an old Ithaca that he wants me to help him with. It's a c.1950 model 37, run of the mill vintage pump 12 gauge, with a stock that needs refinishing and thinning blue.

He wants to make a home-defense gun out of it. I personally have mixed feelings about that because I like these old guns the way they are, but whatever.

I understand that barrel length is measured from the bolt face, correct? I told him minimum 18 1/2" barrel, as I want to stay well clear of any possible legal issues.

He also wants to shorten the stock a little. How short is too short on such a gun, for any sort of comfort? I understand this is measured from trigger to end of stock?

I don't have a lathe, so my thought was to cut with a hacksaw, face with a file (draw filing) as square as possible, then drill and tap for the sight bead, assuming I have the right tap size.

It hurts me a little to start hacking on a neat old gun, but it's far from pristine and they are pretty common.
    I cut my model 12 barrel this way. The older barrels were thin so I ended up soldering a front sight ramp on the gun. I'm very happy with how it turned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    If you are going to cut the bbl, might want to use a pipe cutter and score it first. This should help provide a small channel for the hack saw blade to get a good running start and slide all over the bbl.
    Scoring it with a pipe cutter is a good idea. Just don't try to cut all the way through with a pipe cutter. It rolls the inside edge over as a barrel constriction. My model 12 started out that way. I had to shorten it further to fix it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey, some of you would cut my head off but, I have a guy that is bringing me a Ruger #1 custom 1 of 500 and wants 1 inch cut off the barrel. Makes me sick but he has 4 more just like it.