RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Pops"

Boolit Master

I've got a Soldier in my Maintenance Company that when she checked in from her Basic Training unit, I read her Record book and and found out she was 5 months old when I joined the Service! Now she is pregnant from her Soldier husband so in a few months I could be a surrogate grandfather and/or her Company Commander!

Bruce

In Remebrance

My standard line used to be, "Kid, I got socks that have been on the job longer than you've been breathing". My new one is, "Kid, I got dingleberrys that have more time on the job than you do". A little coarse, but effective.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret View Post
    My standard line used to be, "Kid, I got socks that have been on the job longer than you've been breathing". My new one is, "Kid, I got dingleberrys that have more time on the job than you do". A little coarse, but effective.
    My favorites are credited to a friend that works for another local department that I have worked side jobs with in the past:

"Listen junior, I've got more time on disciplinary action than you do in a cop car" and "My Mag-light has more time on the job than you."

Kinda takes the attitude out of the twenty-somethings when you put it that way.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

One version amongst 'Old, Bold' fighter pilots is: Sonny, I got more time inverted that you got total!

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Navy version:

I've passed more ship's masts than you have telephone poles.

I've washed more salt water out of my skivvies than you've sailed over.

I've worn out more sea bags than you have socks.

I have more time in the chow line than you have in the service.

etc. etc.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

In Remebrance

I was under the impression that there were no "old, bold" fighter pilots. At least that's the way the pilots in the VMA-223 told it back when Uncle Ronnie Regan and I were kicking the USSR around. (That may be a slight exageration, but Marine pride demands I make claims I can't necessarily back up)

Air Wing Version

I have forgotten more about F/A 18 engines than you will ever know.

Clint
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    The version I heard was, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots".

Poygan, USAF, Retired

Boolit Master
    Our employee numbers started at 5 digits, usually at 10000 and whent from there. We had a meeting and on sighin you had to leave your number and name. After lunch the teacher started calling out names and numbers and when he got to me he said "Darn, how long have you been here" and I replied "since the flood". Frank

In Remebrance

Azcoyhunter- When I was in it was F-4, A6, A7 or 8 (The Corsair jet), A4, AV8-A+B, OV10's. We even had 1 lone Corsair prop job at Cherry Point. Let me tell ya about the time Chesty and I......

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret View Post
    Azcoyhunter- When I was in it was F-4, A6, A7 or 8 (The Corsair jet), A4, AV8-A+B, OV10's. We even had 1 lone Corsair prop job at Cherry Point. Let me tell ya about the time Chesty and I......
    I hear ya!
    When I was sporting a high and tight and strutting around in my salad suit things were a bit different as well.
    My platoon was the last at Parris Island to fire 45's. We were the second series to attend BWT out at carter air field. My first tank unit still had vehicles with shrapnel scars from Beiruit. My machinegun instructor was a survivor of Hill 881 by khe san.
    Remember when the m16a2 service rifle was new? I was a field evaluator/torture tester for the m60hb when it came out. The original tanks I trained on are now artificial reefs off the florida coast. I remember firing the m9 beretta for the first time and thinking,"What a ***!" I remember firing the m2 for the first time and falling in love. Nothing helps a fella to sleep soundly in a dangerous place better than the knowledge that all he has to do to unleash hell on earth on the bad guys is to just sit up in his sleeping bag and grasp those butterfly handles.
    Remember when Marine hand to hand combat training took place in the local bars?
    Remember these classics?
    Gunny's so old that he was a crossing guard at the parting of the red sea.
    Gunny's first sea duty was on Noah's ark.
    Gunny's first mess duty was the LAST SUPPER.

Good Lord, time is flying by.
    Next june will make 20 years since I was a "STINKING THING" standing on some yellow footprints in the middle of the night and wondering just what the hell I'd gotten myself into.
    SEMPER FI and GOD BLESS.

Boolit Master

We used to say the Salt in our boots had more time in the Corps than the new guys.

Bruce
    SGT USMC 89-96
    CPT USA 97-Present

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    In the Prison we called new guys 'baggies' because their uniform never fitted well and the storemen were convinced they'd put on a bit of weight after getting posted so they issued them slightly bigger sizes. If anybody who hadn't been in the service long said something out of place we never took any notice of them, because 'they'd only been in the job since smoko.'

Also the guys who used to put their cap on back first and pull it down over their forehead, making a bump in the top because it was positioned too far down were called 'egg smugglers' because it looke dlike they were smuggling eggs into the prison under their caps

Getting a bit off thread here
    Mick
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    Thank's for all those memories. I'm still a young pup. I remember teaching AIT trainees at Ft Knox to shoot the 1911 A1 and the greasegun. It was funny to watch tall trainees do pushups on the turret floor of a M-60 or 60 A-1. I also liked ma deuce and firing the main gun (using Kentucky windage). I did basic with the M16 A1, didn't care for it.
    medically retired from Army in 74. Time is an enemy we can't defeat.
    Russ N

Hey, At least we're not young idiots! (old ones maybe....) Mick, I retired from the Utah S.P. in 94.

When I joined the Army I was instructed by Malaya and Korea vets, that's how old I am .

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm 54 and have been fitting and welding pipe since 1975. The "young'uns" on the job call me "Grampa". That don't even phase me 'cause I know that tomorrow, just like yesterday, one of 'em will come in the pump room and ask me "Hey, Jim, can you show me how to make this fit?". I tell 'em all, one by one, "Keep your eye on the old man, I'll teach ya' sump'm, boy!".

Hey, Mick, I been meanin' to tell you I sure do like your signature statement!

Grampa
    Top journeyman pipefitter, certified welder and card carryin' member of the old farts club! And don't you forget it! (you hear me, boy?)

Super Moderator

............I just turned 54 and a lot of things have really changed. It's hard to identify anything under the hood of a car these days. Although that 87 Dodge Dakota I just got is rather refreshing. I'm reminded of an e-mail that went around awile back that goes if you're less then so and so years old there was always color TV, computers, debit cards and blah, blah blah. That does kinda make you feel old.

Speaking of cars it doesn't seem like it's as much fun to work on'em anymore. It's not as easy to get up off the floor as it used to be. Heck, it's not as easy to DOWN on the floor as it used to be. Just sitting on the bench on the front porch with a beer in the evening and thinking is getting to be a real blast.

Saying stuff like, "Back in '93.............." makes me feel OLD because '93 was like yesterday. I look in the mirror and say, "Who IS that old guy?"

Can anyone drive down the road these days and name cars? Heck they all look alike, excepting pickups and some of them are starting to blurr. Used to be you could not only tell the make, but the year and the model.

I remember when my parents went to buy a cloths dryer and they had to get my grandfather to vouch for them to make payments because there was no credit deals. Nowadays if you don't have a credit card you can't buy anything because you don't have any credit references.

I grew up when all the dads worked and all the moms stayed home.

Ah well, time flys and change happens whether you like it or not.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Hey, Mick, I been meanin' to tell you I sure do like your signature statement!

Grampa
    Top journeyman pipefitter, certified welder and card carryin' member of the old farts club! And don't you forget it! (you hear me, boy?)
    Why, thanks Jim, I can't actually remember him saying that in the movie, someone else quoted him first, but it's pretty much how I treat people and hopefully it will come full circle, if not, no prob, just the way I am. I guess I'll just have to shake out the Rooster DVD and watch it a few times.

I use to have a signature that said "I say that's bold talk for a fourfingered fat man!" I loved Robert Duvall in that movie and his accent and the way he talked.

'Will you give us the road Rooster?'
    'I say that's bold talk for a one eyed fat man'
    'I'm shot to pieces Rooster.'

Getting a bit OT here! Sorry.

Mick.

Boolit Master
    Well went back to my favorite chinese eatery. And now its official. Just call me "POPS" She did it again. Heck I have tools older than her, and jeans even older. I know for a fact that there are wines and cheeses older than me. Guess I'll just have to hunker down and stay the course. Frank