RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rossi Rio Grande 30/30

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Freedom Ventures is the importer up here. I'll give Sean a ring and see if there are more coming in. The gun is great value for the money. I just bought a M&P PRO for IDPA so funds ( Funds = Wife) won't allow another purchase until spring. I plan on selling my 30-30 Win anyways and I'll need another 30-30.

Take Care

Bob
    A "real" New Haven built Winchester 94 especially a "pre-64" 94 in decent shape will sell quick.

If it's one of the $1000+ Miroku made "Japchesters" with the tang safety & rebounding hammer you might have a hard time getting anywhere near what you paid for it new on the resale.

Not many want to or can afford to pay over a grand for a "gussied up" lever .30-30 WCF that cost less than $100 when we started hunting.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I take issue with the Mossberg 30/30 "sucking". I have put hundreds of rounds through mine without a miss-step and it loves my CB's (Lee 160 gr RN-GC). It hits pill bottle caps at 100 yards with regularity. I bought it as an inexpensive "truck rifle" with low expectations. Maybe it is just mine that is a gem but I got a lot more than I paid for.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I take issue with the Mossberg 30/30 "sucking". I have put hundreds of rounds through mine without a miss-step and it loves my CB's (Lee 160 gr RN-GC). It hits pill bottle caps at 100 yards with regularity. I bought it as an inexpensive "truck rifle" with low expectations. Maybe it is just mine that is a gem but I got a lot more than I paid for.
    I don't know about the Mossberg 464 but I can vividly recall this summer one chap at the local gun club saying that the Rossi Puma rifles were nothing but junk and anybody who bought one was taking their lives in their hands.

I asked the guy with view to helping him out if I could because I'd had good performances from all my Rossi rifles what was specifically irksome about his Rossi rifle.

He replied that he didn't own one.

I then asked what he found problematic about the Rossi rifles that he fired that would provoke such a rant.

He cleared his throat and said, "Well I never shot one but people shouldn't be buyin them foreign guns" and then shifted the conversation onto another subject.

Don't bother yourself about it.

Write it off to human nature. It makes them feel good.

When you've been hanging around gun forums as long as I have it gets to be "same ole, same ole" and you just brush it off.
    Last edited by pricedo; 12-22-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    They were on the shelves at the local gunshop for $AU600 a year or so ago and a bit cheaper elsewhere. They look like a good rifle, but a bit 'gawkier' than a Marlin336. I was on the verge of buying one when an older 336 hit the shelves for $450. That is cheap for a Marlin in Australia. It had slight external dings and scratches to the wood work and the blueing on one side of the action was rubbed through from saddle scabbard wear. The rifle was in top condition otherwise. I had just bought two other rifles and a swag of ammo and offered $350 for it. A bit of haggling followed and it walked out the door and into my safe for $400. The fact that it has saddle scabbard wear, etc makes it more interesting to me! Sooooooooooo I didn't get to try the Rossi.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    They were on the shelves at the local gunshop for $AU600 a year or so ago and a bit cheaper elsewhere. They look like a good rifle, but a bit 'gawkier' than a Marlin336. I was on the verge of buying one when an older 336 hit the shelves for $450. That is cheap for a Marlin in Australia. It had slight external dings and scratches to the wood work and the blueing on one side of the action was rubbed through from saddle scabbard wear. The rifle was in top condition otherwise. I had just bought two other rifles and a swag of ammo and offered $350 for it. A bit of haggling followed and it walked out the door and into my safe for $400. The fact that it has saddle scabbard wear, etc makes it more interesting to me! Sooooooooooo I didn't get to try the Rossi.
    The old pre-Remington Fiasco JM Marlin 336 leverguns are for the most part a "proven" model of gun.

The Rossi Rio Grande hasn't been around long enough to have a track record.

Some problems unfortunately emerge over the long term.

For $200 cheaper I would have done exactly the same thing & bought the used JM Marlin 336 as long as it was an original JM Marlin & NOT one of the new Remlins.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I'm a bit "gawkier" than the average shooter so the gun will suit me just fine.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Finally got my stainless 30/30 Rio Grande. Looks and feels great. I had some left over rounds from my Savage 30/30. I chambered and click! oh no plus other words. cocked the hammer and away it went. Then it wound'nt extract. I then tested for accuracy, at lest I had better sucess there. Using the RCBS 180gr @ 2000fps I got about a 1" group (100 yards). I had to test with factory ammo. That hurt to buy it but I had to start there first. I bought FED power shock. The gun worked flawless. The results are so far. The hammer strike is to lite and the extractor is to weak. The Savage had a large chamber and Rossi a tight one. I was using win WRL primers. I'll try CCI next and try and make the hammer fall harder. My sizing die might be a little large two. Might take a bit of work but I hope two get there. Oh by the way the factory ammo shot a 3" group.
    Lead foot;

Quote Originally Posted by lead Foot View Post
    Finally got my stainless 30/30 Rio Grande. Looks and feels great. I had some left over rounds from my Savage 30/30. I chambered and click! oh no plus other words. cocked the hammer and away it went. Then it wound'nt extract. I then tested for accuracy, at lest I had better sucess there. Using the RCBS 180gr @ 2000fps I got about a 1" group (100 yards). I had to test with factory ammo. That hurt to buy it but I had to start there first. I bought FED power shock. The gun worked flawless. The results are so far. The hammer strike is to lite and the extractor is to weak. The Savage had a large chamber and Rossi a tight one. I was using win WRL primers. I'll try CCI next and try and make the hammer fall harder. My sizing die might be a little large two. Might take a bit of work but I hope two get there. Oh by the way the factory ammo shot a 3" group.
    Lead foot;
    The RCBS 180Gn'r and one inch groups. That looks like your 'go to' load.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

The RCBS 180Gn'r and one inch groups. That looks like your 'go to' load.
    That was done out of a ute onto a tree. I would be happy with twice that group. Anyway I had some crud in my die and it stoped the case from traveling to the end. So that has fixed the extraction broblem.I don't know what to do about the lite strike on the primer though.
    Lead foot;

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know about the Rossi Rio Grande, but I own two Rossi Pumas. I like them both. I don't agree with someone who says they are junk. Both of my Puma 92's required less work than my Marlin 444 that I bought 7-8 years ago. My Marlin needed work on the extractor. They all shoot good though!!! And I would buy any of them again. The more I shoot my Puma's the slicker they get.

Quote Originally Posted by jblee10 View Post
    I don't know about the Rossi Rio Grande, but I own two Rossi Pumas. I like them both. I don't agree with someone who says they are junk. Both of my Puma 92's required less work than my Marlin 444 that I bought 7-8 years ago. My Marlin needed work on the extractor. They all shoot good though!!! And I would buy any of them again. The more I shoot my Puma's the slicker they get.
    These Rossis are the Ruger Super Blackhawks and Redhawks of lever rifles. Bombproof. No other lever rifles around chambered in 454Casull! As Teddy Roosvelt used to say 'hell for stout!'

The only thing I can see wrong with the Rio Grande is the hammer strike is not hard enough. I will have to return the gun to be fixed. Looks like tool marks on the bolt face and firing pin. The bore is very good ~ cleans very easy, no leading.
    Cheers Lead foot;