Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer ID

Banned

Primer ID

My primer selection is low and I want to know which brand and size a primer is, standard or magnum.
    It is a LP and the compound is yellow. The cup is silver color.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

primer

I have three brands of primers. I use thge Federal first and the others on a have to time. They are Federal, Winchester and CCI. The federal has a siver cap and a greenish mix. The Winchester have a brass colored cap and a red mix. The CCI have the silver and yellow mix and they are LP Magnum. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I have three brands of primers. I use thge Federal first and the others on a have to time. They are Federal, Winchester and CCI. The federal has a siver cap and a greenish mix. The Winchester have a brass colored cap and a red mix. The CCI have the silver and yellow mix and they are LP Magnum. Later David
    Thank you very much. That is what I thought they were.

Boolit Master

I'm not bright enough to keep track of primers by type1 mod0 eyeball. Therefore my only primers are Winchester and Wolf. Wolf are all brass color metal and the Winchesters are silver colored. I do mike them from time to time to separate the LR from the LP. Difference in how "tall" they are. Pistol primers are shorter.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting.

All mine come in little boxes with the type and application printed on the outside.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Interesting.

All mine come in little boxes with the type and application printed on the outside.

Bill
    and that is the best way to keep them. I have some old winchester Large rifle primes they were silver cup with blue mix. I have some I bought a year ago they have a Brass colored cup and Red mix. Think I would be very careful about using them especially in Max loads you may not like what you get.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting.

All mine come in little boxes with the type and application printed on the outside. Bill
    Yeah, really. When I first read the OP I was confused enough I didn't post. All primers are stored and kept in the original box, it's hard to wrap my mind around not doing so.

There is only one primer box on my bench at any one time exactly like powder, there is one can of powder on my bench at any one time, the same powder that's in the measure and the primer box is the one that's in the brass I'm loading. When that batch of brass is completed the powder measure is emptied and the powder can put back into the locker. The primer box if empty is thrown away, if not empty it's put back in the primer cabinet.

So what is there to identify? Confused.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I store all of mine in a half gallon mason jaw with tight lid way up high on a shelf I can barely reach. That way if I drop them I don't have to worry about picking them up.

prs

ps: You do know I am kidding, right?

Color of the primer cup will not tell you anything. I've seen nickle and brass colored cups in the same box of primers many times.

Banned

Interesting.

Bill
    It is because I said some factory loads had LP mag primers and my friend said no. So I pulled one, .44 mag, found 18.5 gr of powder for a 320 gr boolit and a yellow primer compound.
    I do not know the powder, looks like H110. Might be Accurate no 9???
    The argument we have is I said the loads shoot like they have LP mag primers in them.
    Every indication says I am correct and the primer is a CCI 350.
    A CCI 300 is orange in color.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester uses the same LP primer for regular and magnum ammo.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    Winchester uses the same LP primer for regular and magnum ammo.
    I have them but they are not yellow.
    I have no other way to identify these. I have many different primers but no CCI LP mag primers to see but I have to assume that is what they are.

I only have CCI primers, but the small and large rifle are yellow and the pistol ones are orange.

Boolit Master
    If my memory can be depended on, I recall seeing different colors of the primer mix in the same size and type of primer (but in different lots of 1000) from the same manufacturer down thru the years. I would not try and identify any primer based on color of primer mix, or anvil and/or cup color.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I have them but they are not yellow.
    I have no other way to identify these. I have many different primers but no CCI LP mag primers to see but I have to assume that is what they are.
    Shoot em and see if your groups open up.

The CCI LP Mag, Federal 150 (Std.) and 155M (Mag.) in my stock are all silver with yellow compound.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think he's working up a load,,
    Just trying to identify components used to load a batch of ammo...

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

primers

Boy, I'll tell you this is something. When I first came to this board everyone was was ready to give a helping hand and now it seems that we have members that can't wait to start a disagreement.
    I understood without asking what 44 man was needing. He either had a load that he was trying to see what components were used or like me had several primers that had spilled and trying to ID them.
    I will at times either drop because of bad hand a box of primers and put them on my shelf. Then do it again with a different type of primer. When it comes time to put them in the correct boxes I need to figure which ones they are.
    For you posters who claim to have different colored metal and mixes in the same box. I have been loading since 1969 and for three of those years worked in a gun store that had many types of primers, even some made in other countries and I have never once encountered that.
    Don't show me no pictures as that is a easy set up. I even loaded ammunition for our 600 man force and I dare to say in my 15 years HAVE NEVER VIEWED DIFFERENT PRIMERS IN ONE BOX.
    Stove Pipe if you take a look at the CCI large pistol magnum primer you will see the yellow mix. The orange is the standard primer. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I somehow ended up with a couple hundred mixed loose primers a few years back. I thought about pitching them along with some small rifle that had definitely been very wet and stored in a falling down building. I was shooting some .22 pellets in the .223 powered by primer only. The wet primers had been in a dry drawer for a couple years so I tried them. All performed as new!

Willbird made me a swage die for double ended wadcutter. 224. We had a menagerie of .222, .223 and .224 odds and ends. I swagged then to .224 and loaded over 8gr Unique. From my upstairs computer room window to the garden was 30 - 40 yards. The wadcutters worked great for whacking garden munchers. It mattered little if a pistol or rifle primer was used with the 8 gr load. Magnum or standard hit to same point of aim. I used up all the odd primers this way. Lubed cast boolits were swagged to wadcutters also. They make a mess out of blackbirds and grackles!

Keith type pistol boolits in the 30-06 over a dose of Unique again cared little what primer and took bunnies and chucks down with great authority Loaded backwards they hit like a wadcutter!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    and now it seems that we have members that can't wait to start a disagreement
    I didn't see it that way. Just seemed like some flying by the seat of your pants reloading techniques in the OP and other folks were scratching their heads, thinking "Huh?". There's reasons why all of my reloading manuals say to never mix gun powders in an effort to get that "magic" blend.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    A friend once gave me a 500 count Tylenol bottle full of large primers. No clue what they were. I made a label for the bottle, "REC. LOADS" (recreational), and used 'em for bangin' ammo.