Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPI's new sabot for 500 S and W bullet

Boolit Buddy

BPI's new sabot for 500 S and W bullet

Has anybody loaded and shot BPI's new 12 gauge sabot using the 500 S and W bullet? Kicking around the idea of getting the 500 S and W mold.

Banned
    Hello Beagler, yes you can load your .50 cal S&W bullets in BPI RSS 12, depending on bullet length you might have to put a nitro card below the bullet to adjust the height of the bullet in sabot so that the bullet locks in the sabot by the nips or tits, this way the bullet wont shift at the launch and when it jumps the free bore, thus no blown sabots like others have experianced.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabots!
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-02-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Master Tool & Die Maker

Don't waste your time or money....................you'll have better luck if you throw the bullets by hand!

Those sabots aren't worth the money or effort.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Thought I would ask they look similar to the sabots a few other factory slug are loaded with.

Banned
    Hello Beagler, looks can be deceiveing, but you can go ahead and try them out and find out for yourself, nothing wrong with that. The only advise I'll give you is use darker thicker nitro card between the sabot and your over powder wad. Try using Powder Cup gas seal ( very good )
    GS-2 Air wedge is good too or X12X as OP wads. The darker nitro cards of .170" thickness will help greately! I just ordered some .250 nitro cards for RSS-12 sabots as in the past they failed miserably!
    Still no harm done, if we all can learn from our mistakes and share our experiances.
    I just got a box full of RSS-12 sabots that James Gates shipped me.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-02-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Interesting indeed! There has been lots of hype about the new BPI Blue sabot and even the older BPI grey sabot There have been reports of the bases of these sabots blown out. The basic problem is, and has been, the base (filler eads) under both sabots!
    Now...The blue sabot is slightly smaller in the base than the grey. We have shot the blue with bullets with a diameter of .503" and got better groups. The best we have done is with a BPT X12X over the powder, then hard nitro (.250") from Circle Fly to come up to a rolled crimp index. The Hastings barrels we use are
    .727" in the grooves and seem to be the most accurate. The grey seems more flexable that the blue. There will be some of the petals blown off the blue after the sabot leaves the barrel.
    So care must be done balancing the bullet weight and powder burn rate. Contary to what some what in velocity....we hold the velocity down to about 1300;/" with a 460 grain hard cast .503" bullet. This load is very accirate and matches one of the favorite .45-70 load.
    Now....there is nothing wrong with these sabots if loaded to a reasonable velocity. if you go above 1300'/"with a 460 gr cast bullet, things get tricky.
    Regards, James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

Banned

Next I'll be loading them with 3" hulls and will be using .170" hard darker nitro cards and
    .250" nitro card between the OP wad and the RSS-12.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-02-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Banned

Ajay
    Video Memories

Excellent indeed! You may want to try some loaded with Blue Dot to give a little morem crimp index.....James

Banned

Ajay
    Video Memories

Banned

Vdo, what kind of accuracy are you getting?

Banned
    Hello Blammer, we had very bad groups in the past due to sabots blowing up.
    Here is all the effort that went into BPI sabots in the past.
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961
    I just got a box full of RSS-12 from James Gates and have yet to give it one more try but due to a bad right shoulder I'm waiting for it to heal.
    If you read James comments above they are only good to 1300 fps and after that it gets tricky!
    Most people want to load up the sabot load to 1700 to 1900 fps.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Quite frankly, the major problem with both the older gray sabot and the newer blue sabot has been a poor foundation under the sabot. As the presure builds up and there is no firm wads under either sabot....it blows the sabot forward off the enclosed bullet....pure and simple!
    Yesterday, Ron Futch shot some test loads at a velocity slightly over 1300'/" and they wanted to cut cloverleafs on the fifty yard range. The bullet was our hard cast truncated nose bullet (460 grs) that was designed so the the truncated nose snaps under the tits inside of the sabots petals (very important) the load was 40 grs of Primex 513 (close to Lil'Gun) with an X12 X, and .250 hard nitros for crimp index. This burn rate does not work well with lighter bullets under 400 grs. though. These were the older grey sabot. You might reach a higher velocity with a lighter bullet and faster burn powder.....matbe?
    If one runs the data at 1300'/" and with a 460 gr bulet (.144 BC) through one of the ballistic programs, they might be suprised at how flat they really shoot if sighted in around 80 yards. There has been quite a few deer and hogs killed cleanly out to 100 yards with the 1300'/" load (20" Hasting rifled barrel).
    Botton line is simple......the sabots can not stand the pressures/velocity some want to run them!.And....I do not think they are as accurate, on a whole, as a proper full bore cast bullet.
    I saw the excellent groups that were shot with a NEF 20 gauge with our full bore Terminator 20 (500 gr-.625") bullet. Various loads were tested form 1000'/" (sub-sonic) up to Dr Sharps 1600+'/" loads. The recol was managed best in that light gun at about 1200'/"-1300'/") which matched the older .45-70 military rifle load,
    Regards, James

Boolit Bub
    Great thread guys. Who sells those wads and are they making them for 20 gauge?

Boolit Buddy
    As far as I know its 12gauge only

It is most important that the ogive or truncated cone nose of the bullet snaps under the tits inside of the BPI sabot (grey or blue style)!If not, the petals may be too tight (large diameter) in the hull and will cause ridges in the hull.
    The design of the inside of the petals is to lock the bullet into the sabot.
    The ideal situation is the have the nose of the bullet very near the top of the sabot. This allows a better roll crimp without the nose of the bullet trying to be outside the crimp index. If the nose is far out of the sabot, it will be hard to roll crimp down onto the top of the sabot.
    If the sabot/bullet is not crimped on to the top of the sabot, it might move forward in the hull during recoil, while it is in the mag tube.....not good at all.
    Regards, James
    Last edited by Dixie Slugs; 03-27-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Banned
    Good morning,

Ajay
    Video Memories
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Master Tool & Die Maker

Those sure are some nice looking rounds!

But the pictures of the rounds don't tell us much. Were's the pictures of the actual groups fired by these.......at say, 100 yards?

Without any hard evidence, that's about all those sabot's are good for...........to look at!

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Mold
    I found some load data in a Lyman 3rd Shotgun edition for a 20 ga using a 58 black powder rifle slug that was around 400 gn. It's been a while since i loaded it but it was a Winchester wad and the slug fit inside. It shot good at close range, and was fairly accurate from a smooth bore barrel. I couldn't find the Lyman mold they said use so I got a Lee mold that was close to the same weight. Maybe this is something for you to think about.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by VdoMemorie View Post
    Good morning,

Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com
    Ajay, how did those 3" rounds with that thick card wad work for you?