RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brass across border blues

Unhappy brass across border blues

well a friend of mine tried to order some brass from track of the wolfe & was told they can't ship to canada anymore, I thought I would try on line and they sent all the stuff but the brass was cancelled " cannot ship brass to canada at this time". did anything just happen in the news involving a 50-70 in a bank heist or a fully automatic 56-50 spencer seized from drug cartells ? what sad times are these.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    well a friend of mine tried to order some brass from track of the wolfe & was told they can't ship to canada anymore, I thought I would try on line and they sent all the stuff but the brass was cancelled " cannot ship brass to canada at this time". did anything just happen in the news involving a 50-70 in a bank heist or a fully automatic 56-50 spencer seized from drug cartells ? what sad times are these.
    Our current Administration isn't exactly what you could call firearms friendly. With a State Department unconstrained by a Secretary of State with a positive firearms view, we probably shouldn't be surprised. They are probably just working up to the UN Arms Control Treaty implementation (this bunch does not believe they need the Senate to ratify a treaty to put it into effect).

/soapbox off/

idnt dat dandy! watch for whats commin next folks....straight into the $&!tt#r!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Exporting of ammunition or reloading components, including empty brass, requires an FFL. If they have one they should be able to ship, however, there may be extra paperwork that either costs money or time or both to fill out so not worth it.

Also, don't cross the border and buy brass. It is illegal for a non-citizen to export it. It is fine to bring into Canada but it is not fine to possess or export from the US if a non-citizen and still requires an FFL if you are a citizen.

Just be real clear here, it is perfectly legal for me to mail say some cast boolits to a friend in the States but not for an American to mail boolits to me.

This rule has been in place since 2002 if memory serves. It has not been widely enforced and many business didn't care until recently but now many will not sell to Canadians (or other foreigners).

If you are in possession in the States and get stopped in a Homeland Security checkpoint they will likely confiscate any items on their no, no list.

Longbow

Banned
    Funny thing is that the "law"/rule only applies to individuals not dealers

Boolit Master
    If you need a Canadian source try posting on the Canadian Gun Nutz web site. There are importers who bring it in.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Midway sells this brass and has outlets in several countries.
    However remember that the 50-70 has the big bad military origin.
    EDG

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    However remember that the 50-70 has the big bad military origin.
    Does that make it ammo for assault weapons?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Check with Buffalo Arms, they ship to Canada.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

It say's "50", so it must be used to shoot down airliner's........

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    Our current Administration isn't exactly what you could call firearms friendly. With a State Department unconstrained by a Secretary of State with a positive firearms view, we probably shouldn't be surprised. They are probably just working up to the UN Arms Control Treaty implementation (this bunch does not believe they need the Senate to ratify a treaty to put it into effect).

/soapbox off/
    Yeah...they can sell truckloads of assault rifles to drug gangs, but we can't ship obsolete blackpowder casings to Canada. Makes me want to puke every time I think about it.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh yes. The no go on import of brass sucks like Jenna Jameson... Brass shotshell however is ok. Maybe I should go and buy a 12GA FH..

I wanted to put an old Hepburn 40-50 SS back into bussiness earlier this year. No, nada, out of stock. Not possible to import. Had to buy 30-40 Krag brass, fireform and a whole lot of brass work in a lathe machine to get them right. Those Krag casings has wowfully thick walls.

I dont get it... why is there an export limitation at all???

Boolit Master
    For obsolete brass In Canada I almost always contact Jerry at Mystic Precision. He has brought in "hard to get" brass for me such as Norma .45 basic, .45-110 Jamison, and .38-55 (long) Starline brass. There is usually a bit of a wait, but the prices are not too far off of BACO's. I'm not aware of any U.S. Company that will send brass across the border anymore due to the high cost of export permits.

Chris.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    If you are in possession in the States and get stopped in a Homeland Security checkpoint they will likely confiscate any items on their no, no list.

Longbow
    What Homeland Security checkpoint??? Have we thrown out the fourth amendment???
    Just Another Voice in the Crowd!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Rafsob View Post
    This goes along the same line of thought, I purchased some parts from Brownells for a 1911 a1 and with them arrived a letter from the state dept., that informed me that I was obligated to ask their permision (in writting ) to re sell the parts supplied to me (in Canada ) wheter as is or installed in a firearm . ( Quite likely ) It has come to a point that the line separating safety and paranoia have becomeblurred/ non existant ! I can see the need to controll actual items that pose a threat but lets be serious ANYTHING can be used as a weapon if there is a person/people wishing to do harm to others!

I was born and raised on the border between Calais Maine & Saint Stevens(wrong spelling) New Brunswick. moved out 50 years ago and never went back. I belive one has to have a passport to go back and forth today. sad. GD

Boolit Buddy
    Just labled my brass sent there as multi-use high pressure test vessels, no problem.
    Got-R-Did.

It's not just brass.
    I'm trying to find some stainless steel bore brush's and keep getting the "We don't seel out of conus"
    Their just bore brush's. or steel cleaning brush's.
    It is frustrating at time's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafsob View Post
    Sometimes they set up checkpoints just before the Canadian border, on the U.S. side. I've gone through them. They usually seem to be asking firearms related questions.

I don't ever buy anything firearms related in the U.S. except perhaps reloading tools which are not subject to restrictions. Everything else is mail order. If it weren't for Buffalo Arms I don't think I'd be able to do much BPCR shooting up here.

Chris.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Sometimes they set up checkpoints just before the Canadian border, on the U.S. side. I've gone through them. They usually seem to be asking firearms related questions.

I don't ever buy anything firearms related in the U.S. except perhaps reloading tools which are not subject to restrictions. Everything else is mail order. If it weren't for Buffalo Arms I don't think I'd be able to do much BPCR shooting up here.

Chris.
    It would appear that your government and mine sucks!!!

Anytime a government starts to worry about there citizens and subjects, it usually is about guns. That is why the UN (***) is trying to get everyone to sign on to the small arms treaty. Remember who is running most of these governments, despots!!! They fear the people having guns to over through them.

That is why we have our second amendment and must fight to protect it from that rotten slimy bast***!
    Just Another Voice in the Crowd!