Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some education on Binoculars

Boolit Buddy

Need some education on Binoculars

I need to get a set of Binoculars. As these will be for general use, some hunting, some range work, some scouting, some sporting events, etc. I am finding it hard to choose a make and model.

Addditionally I don't understand the difference between a poro-prism and a roof-prism. Does one type give better clearity than the other? In times past, I was warned against a variable power set-up, but now the manufacturers claim there is no difference between fixed and variable power?

Most of my experience with binoculars were with military issue ones. In large part they were large, hard to carry, and hard to keep stable. So I don't want to get anything approaching them in size.

I don't want to spend much over $200 on them.

Thank You.

Boolit Master

Roof prism are the straight barreled ones. All the smaller ones are roof prism. They are harder to manufacture because the tolerances have to be tighter to have the same quality of view. The porro prism are the older style that the military always used to use. I don't know what they use now. But porro prism were supposedly more robust. The last few decades the roof prisms have been getting better and better. I don't have a lot of money but I put some nice ones on layaway a long time ago and paid them off. I have never been sorry for buying expensive ones. I also like the small shirt pocket size ones because when I go hunting I'm always trying to cut weight down. The bigger ones get left at camp. The only problem with the small ones is they don't gather as much light. To determine the light gathering ability divide the objective lens size by the power size: 8x30=30divided by 8=3.75. Anything with a number higher than 7 does you no good because of the size of the aperture in your eye when fully dialated.Most people can't use more than about 5. As you get older your eyes also are unable to gather as much light. I have compared high quality binoculars of number 3.75 with ones that were 2.5(8x30 to 8x20) the difference was about ten to fifteen minutes of being able to detect an animal at the same distance. To me it wasn't worth the weight difference(when bow hunting). The bigger ones are slightly brighter when it starts getting dark. Rifle hunting I use the bigger ones. Bow hunting I use the smaller ones. There are many good brands now. About the only way to chose is compare features and narrow it down then find the ones you are interested in and compare them side by side with others. Pay attention to the edge of the field of view and how clear it is. The more you pay the more you get. I hope this helps.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    The first number is magnification, the 2nd number is aperture...7x50 would be 7 power magnification and 50 (mm) would be the diameter of the front lens. For purely hand held use, 7 or 8 is about maximum magnification if you need rock solid steady images. Any more than that and your heartbeat will make the image jump with each beat. For aperture, the larger diameter, the more useful they will be in low light situations such as early morning or evening...they will let in more light and be useful for a longer period of low light conditions. I find the ideal binocs to be 7 or 8 x50's.

Be sure your binoculars have an adjustable focus on one eyepiece. It is essential for getting a good sharp focus. The way to focus them is use the main focus mechanism to focus the eyepiece without adjustment to a sharp image, then focus the adjustable eyepiece to sharpness. It's amazing how many people do not know how to focus a pair of binoculars.

Roof prism will allow a more compact binocular, but I prefer porro prism setups...mostly because that is what I am used to. You will loose some sharpness with variable power setups, but not enough to be noticeable on most things.

I had a set of Bushnell's for over 20 years that performed well with a lot of use. Unfortunately, they were dropped on a brick floor (always use the neck strap) and could not be repaired. I got another pair and they have held up well.

Quality optics always are pricey, and price is usually an indicator of quality. You should be able to pick up a nice pair for the money you are planning on spending. With normal use and reasonable care, they should last a lifetime.

Boolit Master
    I have a pair of these bought about 10 years ago, Mine are the W series (WCPF) which designates full waterproof,
    I paid almost 500 bucks for them at the time, the price has dropped a bunch!
    Great glass, adjustable eye piece, and the biggest advantage for me, being a eye glass wearer, is the cups slide down for a full exit pupil without having to remove my glasses.
    I can pick a antelope buck out of a herd at 1-1/2 miles with these, outstanding glass!

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/9862

Banned
    I have a Tasco 20x50 set that I've had for about 20 years now. My buddy just bought a Nikon a few weeks ago. After some very minor debating with some other buddies who compared the two, we all agreed the 20 year old Tascos were much better than the "latest greatest" Nikons. Try before you buy, you'll probably find that buying a name is not as good as buying what works.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    On my recent hunt in Alberta I neglected to pack my old faithful 1963 Bushnell 7X35 glass, so had to buy a substitute in Dawson Creek, B.C. I got a pair of 8.5X32 Porro prism binoculars for $150 + sales tax. They seem to be clear and sharp and very well made. They were plenty good at light gathering at both ends of the hunting day despite the arguably small exit pupil. I searched all over them for evidence that they were made in some third world buffalo wallow, but couldn't find it. The only thing that took a little getting used to was the modern focus adjustment, but the instructions cleared that up quickly. (Being old and Navy trained I lean toward individual focus adjustments, just like the B&L 7X50s I learned on.) My new binoculars are Vortex brand and the model is Raptor. I checked out Vortex Optics on the web and found that Vortex has been in business for 25 years in Wisconsin. They make binoculars, rifle scopes, and spotting scopes, priced from affordable to shocking. Their warranty is "no B.S." and transferrable. The instuction book says that they are inspected and assembled in Wisconsin, which likely means that the parts are made somewhere that hates us, but I couldn't find it.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    In a long ago conversation on the board, it was pointed out as we get older, our eyes will not gather light as well as they once did. For the large lens, anything much over 42 is wasted, unfortunately. Anyone remember all the details on this?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I cant add much to what has already been posted. What I have found is the GENERALLY the more you pay the better the binoculars.

I was using binoculars in the $100 range until I moved to NM where I was in the desert a lot. I was having a hard time making out points on antlers or even if they had antlers. Same with identifying antelope.

I bought a set of Steiner Predator C5's (10x42) and the difference was incredible. The clarity is unbelievable.

The downside is they were relatively expensive. If memory serves me correctly I paid about $750 for them.

You can get the smaller version of the Steiner's much cheaper but they will be 8x25 or 10x25 and light gathering capability at dusk or dawn will be less. Here is a link to the Steiners in your price range.

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars...4295046090.cfm

I highly recommend Steiner.

One caveat I will offer is that fixed power tends to have better clarity.
    Oops, one more caveat. The higher the power, the harder it is to hold still when viewing. Generally 8 power is sufficient.

Another thing to consider is lense coating:

Fully multi-coated is best. (all lenses have multiple coatings for optimal clarity , color and light transmission)

Multi-coated- lenses touching air have multiple coats , second best

Coated- some lenses with one coat. third best.
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 12-28-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the Steiners. I have 2 pairs of the 8 X 30mm. Mine is the Military / Marine version and the wifey's is the Firebird Series. Most bang for your buck, IMO

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I must be blind. I'm satified with a pair of 10 X 22 binoculars I bought E-Bay for $ .99 and $5.00 shipping. Work for me, not real sure how clear the are at the edges as I normally look at the center.

I can see a sparrow blink at 100 yards.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

My preference for all around use would be 7x35's, and probably in Bushnell for under 200.00.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    This is easy..........Nikon Monarch ATB......About $280..........nothing in this price range comes close. Next stop is $1000.

All the birders rave about them. And those folks are nuts about their optics. I have a couple friends that bought them and we were comparing them to Leica and Swarovski this hunting season and in some ways they were better than binoculars costing three times as much.

Few decisions in life are as easy as this one. Now all you need to decide is 8X or 10X...Black or Camo!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy
    There was an article in Precision Shooting comparing binoculars. I do not remember the price range, though I think it was low mid-range on the prices. I believe the author recommended the Leupold Yosemite from his testing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    +1 on the Steiners. I have 2 pairs of the 8 X 30mm. Mine is the Military / Marine version and the wifey's is the Firebird Series. Most bang for your buck, IMO

Winelover
    I have the Steiner Military Marine 8X30 also. I like them a lot. Just the right size and very clear with good eye relief. They adjust for each eye individually too. They look indestructable, although I haven't abused them at all.

That being said...I have never looked through a high dollar set of binos. I have looked through very cheap ones though.

Boolit Master

"I must be blind. I'm satified with a pair of 10 X 22 binoculars I bought E-Bay for $ .99 and $5.00 shipping. Work for me, not real sure how clear the are at the edges as I normally look at the center."

JC: I don't know that he wanted to know about your binoculars. You stole 'em!

Please do check out before you buy. All these fine gents had good things to say. I have had a pair of Pentax porros for several years now. Check them out. Great bang for the buck.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

Steiners all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by c3d4b2 View Post
    I believe the author recommended the Leupold Yosemite from his testing.
    I have a set of these and can attest to how good they are. I won mine at a Phesants Forever banquet with a rangefinder and I love them both. But I guess for $20, I can't complain about them.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Had a Japanese made set of 7X50 , clear good optics, just grew too heavy & bulky for me when hunting. A set of 7X35 Mastercraft (British made)was given to me, not clearer but why easier to carry. Later a set of 8X30 Mastercraft was given to me , much better.
    Looked at all the big name brands for 2 years, bought a set of Bosh & Lome 10X28 these were the best buy for the money. Very good quality, light & easy to carry, & strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon 45 View Post
    I need to get a set of Binoculars. As these will be for general use, some hunting, some range work, some scouting, some sporting events, etc. I am finding it hard to choose a make and model.

Addditionally I don't understand the difference between a poro-prism and a roof-prism. Does one type give better clearity than the other? In times past, I was warned against a variable power set-up, but now the manufacturers claim there is no difference between fixed and variable power?

Most of my experience with binoculars were with military issue ones. In large part they were large, hard to carry, and hard to keep stable. So I don't want to get anything approaching them in size.

I don't want to spend much over $200 on them.

Thank You.
    there is a nice set (old stock) at my buddys gun shop here in town I forgot what they are I will check them today and get back to you. gandy