Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 31950 boolit in a Mosin Nagant.

Boolit Master

I finished loading up my first batch of (20) boolits. They sized at .317.
    I used the #7 rotor for my Little Dandy powder drop to charge the powder with. This is my smallest rotor and the next size up is #15. Looks as though I may be needin some more rotors, unless that is the perfect sweet spot. One could only hope. I used HP38/W231 powder. The rotor dropped 4.5 grains. This is the fastest powder that I have right now. I am trying to not have a dozen different types of powder on hand but with all the different loads, jacketed and cast bullets/boolits, it is very hard.
    I did use a .5 x .5 square of dacron filler under the boolit.
    The COL is 2.535 with just enough crimp to remove the flair.
    I am really wanting to get to the range and give them a try and see the results of this new to me boolit and these loads. Will have to wait untill at least Tuesday, as the range is closed Monday.
    Jack

Hey! Sounds good! Outside of a 0.315" wheel weight round ball, the smallest boolit I shoot in my Mosin-Nagants is the 113 grain Lee "soup can". I use under 10 grains of Red Dot for the soup can and 4 grains Red Dot or 700X for the 0.315" round ball. I am not familiar with HP38 (I know what it is, though) and 4.5 grains might run out of "steam" by the end of the 20 inch barrel, but since I don't know HP38, it still might be plenty okay. BUT THIS IS WHERE THE FUN COMES IN! You can work up a load until you get good results, and because HP38 and Red Dot are pretty darned close to the same burning rate, at 4.5 grains you are definitely in the ballpark.

I have two Mosin-Nagant M59 carbines that have 0.316" bores. I had to lap out a Lee mold to drop the in-between size boolit that a lot of Mosin-Nagants require. Most M44 Mosin-Nagant carbines I have run across have 0.311" bores, but in the dark days of the battles of Stalingrad and Moscow the Russians were scraping the bottom of the barrel to keep their troops supplied with weapons. The interesting story about why they made carbines is they took 91/30 rifles and cut about 6 inches off to use the short piece as barrels for their pistols, getting two weapons from one.

Good Luck, and Merry Christmas!

rl 1053
    Last edited by Linstrum; 12-19-2011 at 03:57 AM.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Master
    Ya Know Minnie Pearl waas known to say "you can catch more flies with honey than viniger , but manure works best." I got a couple Nagants 91/30 with Sako barrels that are near new inside . Have fun ....

Hey, Mohillbilly, you've got some really special rifles! Those Mosin-Nagants that have Sako and Tikkakoski barrels are from Finland, and all Finn Mosin-Nagant rifles including the 91/30 had to shoot well under 1 moa accuracy (under 1 inch at 100 yards) to be accepted by the Finn army. Treat those rifles well because they are really special! If you ever shoot corrosive primed ammo in them, wash them out as soon as possible with lots of hot water to get the corrosive potassium chloride residue out. Potassium chloride cannot be made non-corrive, so the only way to protect those special bores is by washing them really good and using oil with corrosion inhibitors. The reason why the bores in those 65 to 70 year old rifles are still pristine is because the Finland military, just like their neighbor Sweden's military, too, used non-corrosive primers in their ammo as soon as non-corrosive primers were available back in the late 1920s. Russia and the former Soviet Union countries all used corrosive ammo until just a few years ago!

Yeah! You've got some darned nice rifles!

rl 1,056
    Last edited by Linstrum; 12-19-2011 at 05:26 AM.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Grand Master

I knew of a guy who shot flies with some hard wax blts over just a primer. He had a sheet of plywood that was painted white, and that he would coat with sugar water to attract flies. Think he was using a 30-30 and a 38S at something like 15' or so.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

More trigger time IS better.