Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimmaron Arms Low Wall

Boolit Master

Cimmaron Arms Low Wall

Hi, does anyone have any experience with the cimmaron low wall? I am interested in 32-20. It looks to me that it does not have a "safety". Are these Uberti actions? thanks!

Boolit Master

Wink

Half cocked is the safety, same as a 94 win or 336 marlin. And yes uberti does make them.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master
    thank you! I never needed/wanted more safety than a half-cock. But I'm pretty half cocked myself.....I bought a copy of a sharps once, by mail, and the stupid thing had a little "safety lever" on the hammer. It wrecked the otherwise servicable gun in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    I have seen them but never owned one. They appear to be a very nice rifle. I also had one of those sharps with the safety lever that blocked the transfer bar when the breach block was lowered. I removed it and never missed it.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had two of their high walls. One in 38-55 which shot real well and one in 40-65 I never could get to group well. Most likely it was my problem on the 40-65 not the rifles.
    DHB

Boolit Master
    Thank you all! I have been wanting a low wall in 32-20 and will likely have to order it sight unseen. It sounds like it is worth a shot.

Boolit Master

Wink

Unless they have changed, the set trigger model has to be used with the trigger set unlike some of the others. I reworked my hiwall single trigger to lighten it.

If you are going to us the it to hunt with I'ld stick with the unset style trigger, if punching paper then set triggers are nice once you get used to them. BTW the urberti's go to half cocked when you open the action, but do not cock on closing like the orginals did.

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I appreciate all the info. It sounds like I would prefer the single trigger option. I can generally muddle through a trigger job if the mechanism isn't too oddball. I like the fact it doesn't go to full cock on opening so that is a plus to me. Are there preferred tang sights for these models?

Boolit Master

Cool

Check on Buffalo arms site, they list alot of tang sights by various makers. I have a Lee Shaver midrange soule & globe front on my highwall, have be very happy with them. In fact I like them so well I put them on my two new C Sharps rifles.

Boolit Buddy

DHB
    I had a Uberti Hi Wall in 40-65 that I could not get reasonable groups regardless of what I tried. It's in the process of being re-barreled to 40-70 Sharps Bottle Neck.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    I appreciate all of the feedback. On the 40-65's I wonder what the bore dimensions were like? I had a miroku (hi-wall copy) with a badger barrel and it shot very well but I had a mold built to its chamber cast. I am wondering if the Italian .40 bores are not sized appropriately or the chamber/lead isn't what it should be. I am a bit apprehensive in buying the low wall for these reasons.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by OuchHot! View Post
    I appreciate all of the feedback. On the 40-65's I wonder what the bore dimensions were like? I had a miroku (hi-wall copy) with a badger barrel and it shot very well but I had a mold built to its chamber cast. I am wondering if the Italian .40 bores are not sized appropriately or the chamber/lead isn't what it should be. I am a bit apprehensive in buying the low wall for these reasons.
    My Uberti 40-65 bore measured .400 and Groove .408 the twist was 1-18. The best groups I could obtain were with the RCBS 300gr CSA boolit using very slow powders. The best groups were not that good, maybe 2.5 in at 100 yds I have a Shiloh Sharps in 40-65 with the same bore dimensions except 1-16 twist that shoots very well with the faster powders.It will hold around an inch at 100d yds.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Well huh?! There is nothing to me wrong with the dimensions of your 40-65. I wouldn't think the twist is too slow for bullets up to 340 or so. That kind of thing always worries me 'cause if there is going to be a bad barrel made, I'll get it. I like the 32-20 but, if I had my choice, the low wall would be a 32HnR "mag" or .327. I hope they don't screw up the barrel.

Boolit Master

I have one in 45 Colt.

.......and it will do this

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I like that! Very nice looking rifle and groups! What range were those shots taken at? Which tang sight are you using? The case colors are very nice. thanks

Boolit Bub
    I have the very rifle you want but in 38-40 . Bought one year ago from Dave at Buffalo arms . Waited six months for it . Buffalo Arms will keep calling the importer which is Cimarron Arms down in Texas . Uberti only makes a few production runs a year on the Low Walls . Very difficult to find one . Mine has a 30 inch barrel with the straight pistol grip . Paid 850.00$ When you cock the lever the hammer will only go to half cock . If the action is closed you can full cock but cannot half cock the hammer . If the rifle is loaded with the hammer cocked and you open the action the hammer falls .Mine came with a trigger pull weight of about 7 lbs . Really was unshootable . Mine is a single trigger . Had a gunsmith take the trigger to about 9-10 ounces . You just touch the trigger and it falls . I have had the rifle apart several times to clean it . I'am using a Lyman peep sight purchased for 75.00 $ does not have windage adjustments only elevation . Marbles makes a peep sight for about 125.00 $ that adjust for elevation and windage . However they have been back ordered for over a year . Marbles is to busey making sights for the black plastic pistol crowd . I have done extensive experiments in load develope and casting my own bullets . Getting about a quater sized group at 100yards . I think it can do better . Any questions you can e-mail me . Thanks

Boolit Master
    Wow! Thank you very much for the detailed response. It sounds like I will have to get an order in and hope for the best. I am a little worried about the financial situation in europe.....hopefully production will continue.

Boolit Bub
    It would be better if Europe's Economy did sink further . Remember the only reason these Italian guns are selling for so much money is because of the very weak dollar as compared to the Euro in the past . Stronger dollar against the Euro means more purchasing power for the U.S. shooter . Look at the Pedersoli Sharps selling for 1500.00$ as compared to the American made Sharps and Shiloh's . Not much of a price difference , there is no way the Italian guns should be selling for what they are getting for them . Go to Buffalo Arms website and just about every rifle listed will be out of stock . This means that Buffalo Arms has none in their inventory . However if you call them they will call the distributor Cimarrone Arms in Texas and see if they have any on their shelves or when a order will come in from Italy .

Longwood
    I have seen a lot of Sharps rifles and several Hiwalls and I think the Hiwall is a cleaner prettier rifle.
    Quigly who?
    I bought one last year and love it. It is a 45-70 and I shoot big heavy bullets behind light loads of Trail boss or WW860 with about 3 gr of Bullseye etc to help light the surplus powder.

A group of us went out on Xmas day and everyone had a big grin on their face when they got through with it.

I got a surprise check from the feds this summer so I spent it on a scope. My birthday is in April so I am selling off some reloading stuff so I can buy the better rear mount for the scope.

On Halloween, I had a hard landing, AKA crashed. my Ultralight airplane and have a broken right clavicle so I will have to learn to shoot leftie til the VA can repair the break.
    I will be 70 in April so it may be a while before I can shoot the rifle right handed again.

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear about the break. I am glad that you didn't prang more than just a clavicle. The ground can get hard. Don't push shooting that side until you are sure it has mended. We don't mend quite so quick any more.