Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Ragged Hole sights

Boolit Master

One Ragged Hole sights

The good, bad, and the ugly, please. I have a ghost ring on my Springfield XD and I love it. Just looking for some first-hand experience with this brand.

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I have one on my BFR,,,got the blades from a fellow shoter that had them on a short 45 ruger. My bfr has a 10" barrel and the front sight just really self centers in the rear blade for me.

The gun..........

Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Banned

I think it's a pretty decent sight. I've got one on my 94 carbine in 45colt, and I didn't want to put a tang sight on it, but it's a step up from the buckhorns.

I wish they offered it blue instead of the phosphate.

Banned

You actually shoot that thang 45?..

That sight looks like it may work on my 454 Raging Bull.

Boolit Master
    I know that peeps on a handgun aren't supposed to practical, but the effect is the exact same for me as on a rifle. Best $25 add on I ever spent.

Boolit Bub

Thumbs up

Put som on my Blackhawk, (.45 Colt) Love 'em

Banned

sorry guys but there not a percise enough sight for me for a handgun. There great fast aquistion sights on a rifle but there to imprecise and fragile on a handgun but thats just my opinion

Banned

I have to wonder about that sight with old eyes. I think it would just blur away for mine. Might be great for hunting with younger eyes. I agree with Lloyd in that they might not be the best for extreme accuracy work.
    I like the red dots for all around use even though they are hard to shoot groups with. I was even able to hit a buck on a dead run with it. I shot at this deer standing and he took off, I hit him again but it wasn't needed. The first shot took out his heart with my SBH. I know for a fact that I could not have done that with any other sight.
    The Ghost Ring is going to be a very personal sight, some will love it, some will not.

Boolit Master
    i've never had a problem shootng groups with my red dot. I actually shoot better with the dot than irons.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    In truth, I can AIM blades better. I can AIM English sights even better yet. But everything has to be right in the way of the correct amount of light or light angle and target shape.

And everything has to be aimed. You don't .... AIM this sight. You just put that blade on target and squeeze.

When you look at what a handgun was supposed to be for, these are the fastest, most precision "open sight", for use any time of day or at any sun angle, in the open or in shadow, you will ever run into for direct POA use. They have limits if you want to .... aim .... and they aren't worth much if you want to shoot long range. These are strictly, dare I say it, handgun sights.
    Last edited by Bass Ackward; 02-15-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Boolit Bub

Thumbs up

I noticed quite some time ago that the quality firearms manufactures were putting into their front sights had plain gone to hell. How someone can get a fuzzy finish on steel is beyond me, but they do manage it. I've found that with the one ragged hole sight that if I focus on the front sight it's still fuzzy but I hit my target, clay pigeons at 25 yards I just don't miss. gallon milk jugs at 100 yards, well I scare the poop out of them and get enough hits to impress the heck out of much younger shooters. That said, they are not precise enough for me to shoot groups. For that I need a scope or a dot. For plinking and hunting you betcha! They are fast, but if you "ride the sights" they don't work so well.

Banned

Speaking of sights...

Check this out. Scope piggback mount. Perfect for my scoped 358 Winny, that I doesn't have iron sights.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1.php

Would love to have that sight on my Bull.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 03-25-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have the One Ragged Hole sights on 2 different handguns at the present time. All I can say about them is that they are fantastic. I don't know just what some people expect from open sights on a handgun. I do know that what I am experiencing on a Ruger 44 Mag with a 5 1/2 inch barrel is a lot better than what the factory sights offered. These sights are some of the best I have ever used. The human eye automatically centers on a circle. Ingenious huh?? Put the front sight in the middle and you are good to go. In my opinion the One Ragged Hole sight has a whole lot to offer.
    Nighthunter

Banned

But Bass and Diamond, I'm not sure my gun has a front sight! Oh, yeah, it's there, had to back off 10 feet to see it.
    It is amazing how fast vision goes. I used to be able to focus the rear sight, front sight AND the 200 meter ram. I could see a woodchuck at better then 500 yd's. Now I am not sure the ram is there any more.
    I think it is from wearing glasses, eyes get dependent on them.
    Bad thing about me shooting groups with the red dot is the dot is fuzzy. I do get good ones but am sure it would be better if there was some way to focus a red dot. At least a scope can be focused but most handgun scopes are just too dark for hunting early and late because old eyes need more light.
    Strange because my eyes adjust fast from light to dark and I still walk to my stands in the dark without a light.
    OOPS, thats different, use the rods for night and can't see with the cones which are in the center.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    But Bass and Diamond, I'm not sure my gun has a front sight! Oh, yeah, it's there, had to back off 10 feet to see it.
    It is amazing how fast vision goes. I used to be able to focus the rear sight, front sight AND the 200 meter ram. I could see a woodchuck at better then 500 yd's. Now I am not sure the ram is there any more.
    I think it is from wearing glasses, eyes get dependent on them.
    Bad thing about me shooting groups with the red dot is the dot is fuzzy. I do get good ones but am sure it would be better if there was some way to focus a red dot. At least a scope can be focused but most handgun scopes are just too dark for hunting early and late because old eyes need more light.
    Strange because my eyes adjust fast from light to dark and I still walk to my stands in the dark without a light.
    OOPS, thats different, use the rods for night and can't see with the cones which are in the center.
    Seeing IS believing. I think I have a spare large blade if you would like to try it out. Ships for a postage stamp iffin I can find it. All you lose is your sight settings

Boolit Master
    Well, that does it! I'm ordering the sights. I knew I liked the ghost ring; just needed confirmation on the quality of the product. Realize that all sights in the rear are fuzzy. How do you level the top of the front sight when the rear is not clearly defined? At least with the ghost ring, you don't have to level and/or try to define the what is the top of the rear sight with the front. This is why I love the rear ghost.

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Banned

Bass, with the red dots, I just remove the front sights on those that screw on. They just catch on stuff when hunting because I sling my revolvers while still hunting.
    One thing I really hate is having to wear glasses when hunting so I leave them home. Rain or snow on glasses drives me nuts and I don't know how people that have to wear them all the time do it.
    You would think with all the advances that they would come up with an injection to soften the lens again.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Rain or snow on glasses drives me nuts and I don't know how people that have to wear them all the time do it.
    Not very well, but a big billed hat or a large hood does a fair job.

Boolit Master
    One thing I really hate is having to wear glasses when hunting so I leave them home. Rain or snow on glasses drives me nuts and I don't know how people that have to wear them all the time do it.

No criticism, your option. Something gets us all, if it ain't vision, it's arthritis.

I did find the blade, so the offer to try it applies to you or anyone else. They give you two sizes. While the larger one might be practical for hunting, it IS .... too large to work with on paper for me anyway. But you can get the visual effect to see if it worked. As usual, I think one size right smack in the middle of what they make would be perfection.

Never really thought about WHY .... I .... feel so strongly about these sights until this thread. They have put .... FUN .... back into gunnin for me.

What these sights do for you is get you to realize that you don't have to aim all the time. In our quest to be precision on targets, we become .... ruined for fast work waiting for that perfect aim / shot.

When I was younger and shooting all the time, I gradually gained confidence to attempt to make TV type shots. When I attempted them, eventually I learned how to make them. But you had to develop .... "the feel" to do it. And it took practice to maintain that proficiency. These sights eliminate a lot of that. Don't think that I am telling you you will start shooting the center out of quarters you throw up in the air. That still takes practice. I snap shoot snakes and turtles today like I haven't for 30 years. And I am quickly gaining the confidence to .... attempt more again. And guess what, it's FUN!

The first deer I got this year was gone with conventional sights. To tell you the truth, I startled him and he me as we saw each other at the same time. I actually shot without a concentrated effort to aim. Threw the gun up and the shot couldn't have been aimed any better. Whole thing happened in so quick it seemed like slow motion.

Suit yourself on the blade offer. There are some days here where a scope would be useless anyway. But when I tried to be serious with a red dot for awhile last year, I still had a "fun gun" handy.

Banned

John-

What are those blades made for? Will it work on my Raging Bull?